Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Tablet
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
alanciangura

Malta 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3
Tablet

Anyone can point me to the right tablet to be fixed in the empty space were the original Sat Nav goes? I have just bought a Discovery 3, 2008 model

Cheers

Post #108778913th Apr 2013 11:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
cdf

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

I have just got a GoTab 6" from ebay £55. I am using it with the Amazon mp3 app as a music player, it only has Wi-Fi connection but I can make my phone a Wi-Fi hot spot and then I can use the internet on it.

I have got a D4 sat nav surround that with a bit of work I think will make it look good in the hole. but if you want to spend more I think an I pad mini will go in, my thought was £55. was cheap enough to leave in the car
Hope that is some help Chris.

Post #108883116th Apr 2013 12:22 am
alanciangura

Re: Tablet

After a lot of surfing on the net I have decided to go for an HDMI touch screen monitor and a separate PC. I am not looking into tearing the interior apart and looking for the simplest (?) in car pc possible. As for the monitor, I have just ordered Lilliput 669GL-70NP/C - 7" HDMI monitor with a cost of £160 including swipping to Malta

From the PC Side am looking into two possible options:

Option 1 - Android stick similar to http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MK808-Android-4-...2c6d3ae10b
Have one hooked up to our TV in the living room and it's quiet functional. This also saves a lot on switching on and off problems as it is designed to switch on/off with the supply

Option 2 - In Car PC, probably the Gigabyte Mini-ITX and a more user friendly interface (for me at least) running Windows 7

Going to wait for the monitor to arrive first before deciding on the PC side. Also not quiet sure how the monitor is going to fit in, so work in progress

Anyone tried the Android stick option in his D3 yet?

How do one place pictures on here?

Post #108990018th Apr 2013 7:12 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dangerdave

Admin note: post content removed at user request

Last edited by dangerdave on 18th Apr 2013 8:11 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #108991418th Apr 2013 7:49 am
nighthawk

Malta 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I went the CarPC route. The touch screen I got fits perfectly though isn't the best with brightness and sunlight readability. I went for it because I had serious doubts whether the lilliput screen would fit in the space.

There is a fair amount of "tearing the interior apart" though. Nothing too bad though. Plenty of pics in my gallery.

If you want to meet up to have a look and have a chat drop me a PM, I'm pretty close to you Wink
 Dennis

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham Blue 

Post #108991818th Apr 2013 8:05 am
nighthawk

PS.
The tablet idea has 2 problems if you want to fit it neatly in the sat nav space.
1. I couldn't find any tablet with the correct dimensions (i.e. less than 185mm wide and 120mm tall)
2. All the power, usb etc ports are on the side rather than on the back of it. This means there will be much more "tearing up the interior" to allow you to connect power plugs etc.

Here's a pic of the end result of my Mini ITX setup. Many other "in progress" pics in my gallery.
 Dennis

Post #108992118th Apr 2013 8:25 am
sheerluck

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Anyone considered using a Rasberry Pi?

Small enough to fit anywhere, not power hungry, runs Linux and is dirt cheap.

*brain starts whirring and attempting to start up*

Post #108992418th Apr 2013 8:35 am
beanie
Site Sponsor 

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Wiggs has a Pi in his D4 Thumbs Up
 Altox GSM FBH controller thread

IID Pro MV License - D3, D4 & RRS - Enabling, Updates, D4 & RRS Timed / Remote Climate, D4 Bluetooth fitting
PM me for details

Owner of the original "Beanie" grille
D4 & RRS style D3 grilles made to order

Post #108992618th Apr 2013 8:39 am
sheerluck

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hell. There was me thinking for a moment I'd had an original thought. Sad

Will have a search, see if I can find his install.

Post #108992718th Apr 2013 8:45 am
nighthawk

My ideal AT THE MOMENT would be an android powered PC (NOT tablet). Something I could attach an external monitor and touchscreen to.

Android has TONS of applications designed for mobile use (biggest issue is touch screen use. Cannot have tiny buttons and a must have a pleasing interface). Most notably, GPS navigation. There are only 3 decent GPS navigation programs usable with a touch screen that I am aware of that run on a Windows PC. And I expect the numbers to continue dropping.

If you look at the Android store, there are tens available for Android, some of them free!

Windows 8 is changing all this... It's bloody fast to boot up, heavily touch screen geared, and the Windows 8 store is picking up with plenty of apps (though still light years behind the Android store). I use it on my laptop and certainly can see myself using it in the car. Just needs more driver support and more applications...

Yes a Pi can be done. But Linux is not for everyone. And the application availability problem I mentioned above is probably even worse than for Windows.
 Dennis

Post #108993318th Apr 2013 9:06 am
alanciangura

Hi Nighthawk,

Is it possible to have a look at your setup? Will buy the beer Smile

Post #109000718th Apr 2013 1:22 pm
nighthawk

Unnecessary quote removed

Sure, I have sent you a private message with contact details. Get in touch and we'll meet Thumbs Up
 Dennis

Post #109003818th Apr 2013 2:22 pm
alanciangura

Unnecessary quote removed

Have met Nighthawk from here and he showed me his Carputer setup. Nice neat job and thank him to find time to meet me last Saturday. Very helpful and glad to have met him in person

The Lilliput Scrren arrived Friday... but not the touch screen model. Am in contact with Lilliput UK for a replacement. Tried out one of those Android Stick PC, works great. Still not decided if I should go Android or PC route yet. Unfortunately havnt found a way to post pics here....

Post #109202622nd Apr 2013 10:53 am
nighthawk

Alan,

Why not give the Android route a try first?. Assuming you can get the Android stick to recognise and use a USB GPS receiver (I have seen some methods documented on the net but obviously have no way of trying them out without an Android stick), the last "problem" you might have to deal with is the power supply problem while cranking the engine. Not sure how the Android stick would react to getting it's power cut off while booting, only to be restored 1 second later. The Mini ITX PC I have has a power supply specifically designed to survive engine cranking. But anyway, if it doesn't seem to mind, then problem solved. You just need to get a 5V USB supply. There are various cigarette lighter plugs that convert 12V to 5V USB if you want to try things out.
 Dennis

Post #109205222nd Apr 2013 11:37 am
alanciangura

nighthawk wrote:
Alan,

Why not give the Android route a try first?. Assuming you can get the Android stick to recognise and use a USB GPS receiver (I have seen some methods documented on the net but obviously have no way of trying them out without an Android stick), the last "problem" you might have to deal with is the power supply problem while cranking the engine. Not sure how the Android stick would react to getting it's power cut off while booting, only to be restored 1 second later. The Mini ITX PC I have has a power supply specifically designed to survive engine cranking. But anyway, if it doesn't seem to mind, then problem solved. You just need to get a 5V USB supply. There are various cigarette lighter plugs that convert 12V to 5V USB if you want to try things out.

Hi Dennis,

I have tried the Android stick, no problem at all when cranking up as it will just restart Smile Ideas still in progress Smile

Post #109205722nd Apr 2013 11:48 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >