Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Tailgate woes.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
steamraiser2

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4
Tailgate woes.

I'm having issues with my 2011 D4 tailgate. When I press the unlatch button on the remote I can hear the actuator working and can partially open the upper tailgate. It won't open fully . Pressing both buttons doesn't seem to help either. I also note that I can't relock the car either. My iid tool tells me that there is a voltage related fault and the next time tells me there is no fault. Leave the car unattended for ten minutes or so and i find I can lock the car without issue and usually unlock it straight away and open the tailgate without issue. Once I shut the tailgate again the whole ritual starts again. The car battery is new. It clearly isn't a mechanical problem as it will open (eventually) but I don't have a clue what the issue is. Irritating to say the least. I just don't get why it won't work and then operates when I come back to the vehicle. Doesn't say anything in the handbook on having to sneak up on the car while it's asleep!
 2011 D4 HSE, it'll be nice if it ever works!
2014 D4 HSE Luxury. as if one money pit isn't enough!
My old 2005 D3. Now sold after 362000 on the original engine! 

Post #23416239th Jul 2023 7:10 pm
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I think it is quite likely you have an actuator (part is known as a regulator) issue. Mine did the same thing (ref not being able to open tailgate or lock the car) , then being able to lock the soon after. If I kept pressing the button to undo the tailgate, I could hear the actuator gradually getting weaker and eventually not working at all.
The other thing it could be is the tailgate latch cable end has broken, but don’t think your symptoms indicate this (but keep in mind ).
Try this thread which helped me fix it. Always worth a search on here for similar issues.

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post2340167.html#2340167

Good luck
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #234166410th Jul 2023 12:19 am
waterbuoy

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Deffo sounds like the actuator - mine had the same symptoms about a month ago before it finally gave up.
 Currently 2009 Disco 3 SE, 2013 MY D4 HSE and 2016 D4 SE
Previously:
TD5 Defender 110 CSW (230k miles)
300TDi Disco 1 (289k)
4 RR Classics (300-350k each, 2 manual, 2 auto)
110 V8 CSW (220k)
S3 109 hi cap pickup (ex RN)
S2A 88 Safari SW with lpg conversion (bloody lethal) 

Post #234166510th Jul 2023 12:40 am
eightfoot

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Re: Tailgate woes.

steamraiser2 wrote:
I'm having issues with my 2011 D4 tailgate. When I press the unlatch button on the remote I can hear the actuator working and can partially open the upper tailgate. It won't open fully . Pressing both buttons doesn't seem to help either. I also note that I can't relock the car either. My iid tool tells me that there is a voltage related fault and the next time tells me there is no fault. Leave the car unattended for ten minutes or so and i find I can lock the car without issue and usually unlock it straight away and open the tailgate without issue. Once I shut the tailgate again the whole ritual starts again. The car battery is new. It clearly isn't a mechanical problem as it will open (eventually) but I don't have a clue what the issue is. Irritating to say the least. I just don't get why it won't work and then operates when I come back to the vehicle. Doesn't say anything in the handbook on having to sneak up on the car while it's asleep!

^^^ underlined section are you holding the button down when you are trying to lift the tailgate ? as you need to to get it to open one press on the button only releases the latch
 please excuse any grammer/punctuation mistakes,i'm thick,thankyou
current vehicles 2005 d3 2013 d4 

Post #234170110th Jul 2023 11:48 am
steamraiser2

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

Thanks for your response. I have pressed all the buttons in every combination I can think of! Having read through the responses it is clear that other people have had the same issue and that the likely culprit is the actuator /regulator. I am ordering a new one in the hope that will cure the issue. I also see that other people have fitted an emergency release cable as a last resort back up. I think I'll do that too. Once again thank you for the help
 2011 D4 HSE, it'll be nice if it ever works!
2014 D4 HSE Luxury. as if one money pit isn't enough!
My old 2005 D3. Now sold after 362000 on the original engine! 

Post #234171210th Jul 2023 3:06 pm
darrind

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Re: Tailgate woes.

steamraiser2 wrote:

If the actuator is allowing the upper tailgate to go to the unlatched position - it is possible the issue is the handle bi metallic strip has corroded internally - if you have the boot closed and locked and are pulling on the handle when you get someone else to press the tailgate button on the remote does it allow it to fully open?
 Must stop buying shiny toys....  
Post #234171510th Jul 2023 3:28 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >