Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

TDV6 and low quality fuel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
nigelc

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
TDV6 and low quality fuel

Thinking of going to Morocco with my TDV6. I'm not sure low sulphur diesel is too common there, especially in the remoter areas. Guy Salmon in Coventry told me it can't be adjusted to be more tolerant of low quality fuel. I didn't think of Morocco as being very hard core? So is D3 really a "Developed World Rover"? My concern is when car is older and I'm less bothered about dings and scrapes and have time to venture further afield in Africa, I may actually have to get rid of it for a TDi200 Disco/Defender.

Post #30347627th May 2008 3:13 pm
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Don't think it will be an issue . Maybe just service more regularly . Most important is get a good quality fuel filter funnel to ensure that the disel isn't contaminated when filling up

Post #30347927th May 2008 3:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

You'll be fine in Morocco, just steer clear of the fuel stations with names you've never heard of and stick to the known brands such as BP and Shell. Take some fuel additive or a jerry can or two and fill up with quality fuel in Spain or Ceuta before you cross the border so you can add it to the tank if you end up with duff diesel. Take a spare air filter or two too as it can be very dusty once you leave the tarmac
 The End  
Post #30353327th May 2008 7:19 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Re: TDV6 and low quality fuel

nigelc wrote:
My concern is when car is older and I'm less bothered about dings and scrapes and have time to venture further afield in Africa, I may actually have to get rid of it for a TDi200 Disco/Defender.
Don't be silly! Wink The Disco3 is more than capable of transiting Africa, the same 'rules' for fuel sources apply to all vehicles not just Disco3's. The advantages you have with a D3 are:-
Comfort
Ability
Engine management system that recognises altitude, ambient temperature, load, torque output, turbo temperature, fuel quality, etc. etc.
Fuel tank range
As Si said, take a couple of fuel filters, air filters, aux. drive belt and a couple of cans of 'good stuff' and you'll be fine Thumbs Up Oh, make sure you know how to change the filters and where they are before you go!

Post #30360427th May 2008 9:56 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
nigelc

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

OK, I read instructions on how to change/clean out the air filter on this forum. Any ideas on where I can find a manual/instructions on basic maintenance tasks on D3 e.g. replacing fuel filter, drive belts and what tools you need to take.

Post #30366228th May 2008 8:29 am
NHR

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Just curious but how robust is all the fancy electrical stuff when you are in the bush miles from anywhere? I thought one of the advantages of the old Land Rovers was the village black smith could repair them. But I would tend to agree- I'd much rather vist the wild spaces in a D3 than anything else! Thumbs Up

Post #30366428th May 2008 8:43 am
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Having done trips for the last 10 years in a defender , I was also always worried about bush repairs on the D3 , but unlike defenders they don't really break down (so far Whistle ) any more than any other modern vehicle - so you shouldn't need the services of the village blacksmith . FWIW you can't really do bush repais on any of the newer vehicles. My only "toolkit" I carry for the D3 other than the usual stuff is a sat phone . If it breaks I will call LRA and tell them where to come and fetch the car Laughing

Post #30367128th May 2008 9:00 am
NHR

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Unfortunately my last trip in the bush was on holiday in Zim in 1992 where folk swore by the old Defenders (and they were old in Zim then!). Of course, Toyata were already making inroads - the camps in Botsawa all seemed to use the Land Cruisers. Interesting contrast, even then, when the Botwsawa vehicles were all much newer, Mugabe already well on the way to making life difficult in Zim.

Post #30367728th May 2008 9:28 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >