Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Webasto Fuel Burning Heater

Thermo Top V for LR3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
KIMAJ

Norway 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3
Thermo Top V for LR3

I have bought a new burner unit LR010329 for my Auxiliary Heater (Webasto diesel fueled) : On the new burner unit there are two plugs; one black and one white. The white plug was not present on the original burner installed in the Webasto. I have changed the burner previously and have just left the plug hanging loose, however there is a free socket on the Webasto electronics-card which fits the white plug, and I tried to connect it but i am not sure if the software/firmware version supports this signal since it was not included on the original burner set-up. From what I can see this white plug/wire is feeding the glow plug, and I am considering removing it as it has no function as long as it is not connected and there are no options for terminating the plug or placing the wire other than letting it hang open and loose outside the webasto unit (not sufficient space under the cover).

So the question is: Can I simply remove the complete white wire and plug without compromising the functional integrity of the burner?? OR does my webasto version support this signal so that I should terminate the white plug in the socket on the electronics-card?? I have not really tested this out.

Anyone with any experience on this??? Thanks in advance.

Post #22091409th Feb 2021 1:00 pm
J.Prezes

Poland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

First of all, Hi!
I don't remember what this plug was used for in some other cars (if you search a bit here you should find something), so wether you cut it off, leave it hanging, or as I did just plug it in. That is all that can be done with it Thumbs Up

Post #22091439th Feb 2021 1:18 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I believe the conenctor you refer to is for the fuel shut-off solenoid, the glow plug is the large white connector with thick wires.

Fit all the connectors, do not cut off!
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #22091499th Feb 2021 2:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
KIMAJ

Hi and thanks for replies.

Martin: Its the white connector and thick white wires feeding the glow plug I am referring to. I just got replies from vendors and apparently this feature was not present on the Webastoes from LR3 05-09 models. The partnumber for the Webasto/Fuel Burner Heater is the same even thought this white connector has been added to the unit later. From the vendor it is said that it can be connected to the power/electronics socket on the unit OR simply cut off/removed without any functional consequence.

BR Kim

Post #22091549th Feb 2021 2:12 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

You need the glow plug to start the heater, so cutting it off is not a good plan.

Have you got a photo of what you're trying to fit where?

Post #22091719th Feb 2021 3:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
KIMAJ

Hi again Martin.

From the burner unit there are two connectors; X3 white for the glow plug and X6 black for fuel preheating. On the original Thermo Top V installed on my LR3-2008 there where no glow plug/white connector. I consulted the workshop and apparently the glow plug version was first introduced around 2011. Further the workshop said that they replace a high number of these burners every year and that for for the LR3 2005-2009 you can cut of the X3 white connector, connect it to control unit, or leave it hanging loose as it has no function. I have left it hanging loose for the last couple of years and the Thermo Top V works fine. Now I need to replace it as it is worn out and ignites spuriously, hence I was curious as to if it is any point in connecting X3 to the control unit to get the functionality of the glow plug. However my model does not accommodate for the glow plug function according to the vendor/workshop, so it will not work even if I connect it.
Attaching some photos in Gallery to illustrate.

BR Kim

Post #220941610th Feb 2021 1:01 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

You can't just not connect the glow plug, it's part of the core of how the heater starts and operates.

A Thermo Top can't light a fire without the glow plug Wink

And it can't monitor combustion without reading the resistance of the glow plug.

It HAS to be fitted, and not cut off.

There should be a large 2 pin socket in the bank of connectors under the cover which this plugs in to, as a straight swap for the old glow plug wiring. White plug, 2 fat wires.

Please show me the new wiring next to the old wiring and why this new wiring does not fit.

Post #221089615th Feb 2021 1:30 pm
KIMAJ

Hi again Martin.

You are 100% correct and your advise much appreciated.....my bad. Yesterday I replaced the burner with a new one and I have mixed up the plugs and colors....sorry for the confusion. The redundant plug is the black one. Very pleased I didnt prepare the burner and cut off the white wiring before I had opened the webasto unit:-) I have uploaded a new picture which shows the black connector I leave hanging loose, and where it fits on the bracket. This plug is for the fuel preheat, and this socket has been blinded on the bracket. My question was related to whether it would be ok to connect it in the socket? and it is this one I have been advised to cut, connect or leave loose.

For now I just leave it hanging loose.

Post #221113516th Feb 2021 8:01 am
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

My understanding is you can remove the blanked plug on the board and fit the new one in its place.

Post #221174118th Feb 2021 11:08 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >