DISCO3.CO.UK > Webasto Fuel Burning Heater

Timed Climate Control - Help for an Idiot
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
olympicliftingpaulf

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Timed Climate Control - Help for an Idiot

Hello all, are you well? Hope so.

I have a 2011 D4 HSE. Some nice men at Green Oval in Leeds enabled the Timed Climate Control and as far as I am aware, I have set it properly but nothing happens.

Presumably the ignition can be off? Or not? Do I need to do anything else other than setting the times?

I know the FBH works as when Green Oval enabled the TCC we primed it and tested it and all was well.

Any help or advice greatly welcomed and appreciated.

Paul

Post #20893403rd Oct 2019 5:50 pm
john hall

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Timed climate

I had many issues when I fitted the remote kit to my 2013 HSE even though I know your using the dash control system there are still some things to watch
1) outside temperature must be over 15.c
2) the battery must be fully charged and in good condition,this is absolutely crucial
3) the fuel tank at least a quarter full,no less as it won’t work
4) probably the least likely but check the date / time I set correctly on the system
If all this fails get it plugged in and confirm the fire signal is being sent to the FBH,we know it works but is the timed climate sending the signal to the FBH correctly

Post #20893513rd Oct 2019 6:22 pm
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

john hall wrote:

That cannot be correct. Shocked
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #20893773rd Oct 2019 7:26 pm
john hall

Sorry 😐 UNDER 15c I’ve been up since 4.30am

Post #20893803rd Oct 2019 7:47 pm
James W

United Kingdom 

Are you sure it's 15deg??? I thought it was a lot less like 5 or something. Certainly is for mine.

The difference it makes would be undetectable anyway unless it's properly chilly.
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - WTF does this button do 

Post #20893913rd Oct 2019 8:42 pm
john hall

Climate control
TIMED CLIMATE CONTROL
The timed climate system utilises the auxiliary heater to pre-heat the engine to aid starting and also to heat the cabin interior when the engine is off.
The timed climate system provides a way of obtaining a more comfortable temperature in the passenger compartment at a pre-set time. If the external temperature is between +15°C (59°F) and -20°C (-4°F), then the passenger compartment is heated using the engine's auxiliary heater. If the external temperature is below -20°C (-4°F), the heat is automatically directed to the engine to assist engine starting. Once the engine has been heated sufficiently heat will be directed to enable cabin heating providing battery state of charge is sufficient.
If the temperature is greater than 15°C (59°F), then the cabin is ventilated by drawing in air from outside the vehicle to purge warm air and improve cabin comfort. The timed climate system operates without the engine running.
The timed climate system can be operated by either the touch screen or the remote handset.
Note: The timed climate system will not operate if the low fuel warning indicator is illuminated or the vehicle battery has a low charge.
Using the touch screen
The touch screen can be used to either program preset activation times or to operate the climate system manually.
Note: When activated, the heating program will operate for 30 minutes before being automatically switched off to prevent the vehicle battery from discharging.
The system can be programmed to activate once or twice in any 24 hour period. If the vehicle is driven every day, this cycle will be repeated daily until cancelled. If the vehicle is not driven for more than 24 hours then the operation of timed climate will be suspended.
Note: Operation of timed climate will resume next time the ignition is switched on.
When the timed climate system is operating, the LED in the AUTO button will flash.
Note: Timed climate is automatically switched off/inhibited when the engine is started.
Setting a time for timed climate operation
To preset a time for timed climate operation, touch the Timed Climate icon on the touch screen Home Menu. Alternatively this menu can be accessed from the Vehicle Settings

Post #20893923rd Oct 2019 8:46 pm
James W

United Kingdom 

Okay well accepting it says 15deg there...

1) does the red AUTO light flash on and off at the time when the heater is supposed to be running
2) if yes, can you hear the FBH running like a quiet jet sound under the bonnet?
3) if yes, then it's not locked out but unless it's really cold you won't feel or notice any difference. It takes the edge off it being 'freezing cold' and makes the cabin luke warm. It's not like having the proper heater on a high temp when driving (regardless of people saying it's "toasty" when they use it). It does deforest the windows though (when it's cold enough) which is great.

Post #20893963rd Oct 2019 9:10 pm
James W

United Kingdom 

*defrost

When will we get an edit button on mobile mode Question Big Cry

Post #20893993rd Oct 2019 9:13 pm
olympicliftingpaulf

Re: Timed climate

john hall wrote:
I had many issues when I fitted the remote kit to my 2013 HSE even though I know your using the dash control system there are still some things to watch
2) the battery must be fully charged and in good condition,this is absolutely crucial
3) the fuel tank at least a quarter full,no less as it won’t work
4) probably the least likely but check the date / time I set correctly on the system
If all this fails get it plugged in and confirm the fire signal is being sent to the FBH,we know it works but is the timed climate sending the signal to the FBH correctly

Hi John, thanks for the swift reply. Unfortunately all the above would seem to be as it should be.

Last night when I set it outside is was about 8'c, full tank etc. and I fitted a good new battery not more than 2 week ago.

It's very strange. With the TCC simply nothing happens at all, as with the Webasto remote; the one command that does work is the combustion pump prime.

As maybe with one of the other comments above may have to check that signals are reaching the heater.

Something is clearly awry if neither way of setting it off work.....

Thanks all for the input.

Post #20894354th Oct 2019 5:36 am
olympicliftingpaulf

James W wrote:
Okay well accepting it says 15deg there...

1) does the red AUTO light flash on and off at the time when the heater is supposed to be running
2) if yes, can you hear the FBH running like a quiet jet sound under the bonnet?
3) if yes, then it's not locked out but unless it's really cold you won't feel or notice any difference. It takes the edge off it being 'freezing cold' and makes the cabin luke warm. It's not like having the proper heater on a high temp when driving (regardless of people saying it's "toasty" when they use it). It does deforest the windows though (when it's cold enough) which is great.

Hi James,
Thanks for this. The answer to 1) is no. Nothing happened at all. Probably a naiive question but does the ignition need to be on? I am presuming I can use the TCC in the same way as the webasto controller in that if I set the time the previous night for say 5am, I can lock up and it will come on independently?

Or am I expecting too much?

Thanks for the quick reply.

Post #20894364th Oct 2019 5:42 am
James W

United Kingdom 

If you set the timer via the settings on the screen then just lock up and walk away as normal, you don't need the ignition left on or anything. The car should still start the heating sequence from being fully asleep.

I know you pasted that extract above but I still feel 15deg is too high for it to work for some reason. Mine will only kick in if it's really cold. Maybe I'm imagining that though.

Post #20894404th Oct 2019 6:12 am
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

The D5 has evolved from that system. You can start the car with an app to heat it up to whatever temperature you want and it remains locked etc. Thumbs Up

Post #20894414th Oct 2019 6:20 am
James W

United Kingdom 

That’s great but possibly quite an expensive fix for his problem

Post #20894504th Oct 2019 7:04 am
Discovery4fun

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Mine which is standard fit on 2016 Landmark only engages if the temperature is below +7C or higher if you switch it on manually
 .....sometimes it just looks.....too clean!

Discovery 4
2016 Landmark
Santorini Black 

Post #20894524th Oct 2019 7:10 am
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

James W wrote:
That’s great but possibly quite an expensive fix for his problem

Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up

Post #20894544th Oct 2019 7:16 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>