Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Video screen fitted
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
DaveT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Looks FAR more useful than the standard SE rubbish. Thumbs Up

The dash sculpture will all be hidden under the rubber mat on removal, so wouldn't worry me.
 Long succession of Disco's since 2001...
SIII Lightweight - neglected & rusting. Bulkhead, A panels, vent panel & outriggers now disintegrated - Next years project! 

Post #1465519th Apr 2007 10:30 pm
Esteban

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
Navigation

I will be installing the same navigation system next monday I will keep you guys posted .

Post #1540463rd May 2007 1:39 am
nwoods

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 5 Seat Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

Inspiring

Post #1540533rd May 2007 4:28 am
alinton

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Is that a VGA screen?

i.e. can you plug a PC into it?

A.

Post #2134829th Oct 2007 5:47 pm
Doctor Diesel

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

is there a chrome radio surround or just a trick of the light?

Really professional install! Thumbs Up
 2007 HSE Java Black.....sold
2007 B150 Horizon Blue
2008 Toyota Aygo Platinum

--------------------------------------------------
The Master of Suave !

Ding-Dong Matron 

Post #2135799th Oct 2007 8:46 pm
arsi

Finland 2005 LR3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3

The screen is only WQVGA (480x240). There is no PC interface but it can display composite video (resolution is bad). I have seen VGA and WVGA screens that have the same external dimensions that the screen I have.

The radio has chrome surround. While I was in US some time ago I saw in one car parts/accessory shop some tape in chrome/aluminium dash kit for LR3 and bought it. I never glued it in, except the radio surround, as it looked so horrible...

Post #21366510th Oct 2007 5:41 am
Nash

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Don you mean that we can't connect a PC in this screen?

Does any one knows if there's any other possibility of installing a similar screen (so neat installation) but connected to a mini PC?

Thanks
 Nacho

DISCOVERY3 TDV6 HSE Zambezzi 

Post #21939430th Oct 2007 9:14 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pelyma

England 

While you were at it, you should have sorted out the problem with the steering wheel being in the wrong place, or is that a warranty job? Wink
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #21944730th Oct 2007 12:12 pm
sideview

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackLR3

Nash wrote:

Does any one knows if there's any other possibility of installing a similar screen (so neat installation) but connected to a mini PC?

Thanks

Hey Nash, try http://www.xenarc.com
 I'm not so good at giving advice...may I offer you a sarcastic comment instead?

Haiti Earthquake Relief: Donate Your Frequent Flier Miles 

Post #21955430th Oct 2007 6:05 pm
ace_brodie

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

this also looks interesting... http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/CarPC_Shop.html

just need to get my XB360 in there now!

ac

Post #21964631st Oct 2007 12:59 am
radionightster

2006 LR3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackLR3

Hey guys

I'm doing this screen fitting as well, using the exact parts listed in the original post.

I want to add a few things too for information purposes.

First, the GPS unit listed in the original post (OP) supports XM radio. So this by putting this screen in you get Satellite navigation, XM Radio, and you can also put in a backup camera and, if you want, a DVD player. I haven't had it all hooked up yet, but apparently the backup camera comes on automatically, and the default setting is navigation, so you hit one button and you get the DVD player. That is all pretty damn cool.

ALSO, I have an iPhone, and I have the iPod adapter kit for the D3/LR3 (I'm american, sorry.) With the adapter kit you get a direct plug in for the ipod/iphone, and it still has a 2nd aux input. The only issue I'm worried about is if the audio out line for the screen is always "hot", it will decrease the volume of the iphone when plugged in. BUT, the screen has a button on it to turn off the video/audio out, so that solves the problem, hopefully.

This is a really clever setup, and it solves a lot of issues.

Also, the price: I spent about $700 on parts ($350 screen, $250 GPS unit, $100 for antenna that handles both GPS and XM radio.) I plan to spend another $150 on a backup camera. The installation should cost about $300. This is American dollars, btw.

Ok, so I decided to modify the screen myself, because I knew the look I wanted and I didn't want to risk having the audio shop screw up the screen. I was really worried about this because I'm terrible with my hands on these kinds of things. I bought a Dremel tool ($40), and went to town on the screen.

Click image to enlarge

You can see how much of the bottom part of the plastic you have to cut off. You can take the back off the screen and then just cut it so you don't risk cutting some of the electronics.

After you cut the screen, just cover it with tape to make it safe and so stuff wont get in there. Also go ahead and put a couple of tape tabs on there so you can pull the screen out (Arsi, this was a brilliant idea, good job.)

Now, you also have to cut the dash. I just used a sharp knife, cut some of the dash, and removed the padding underneath. You can see about how much dash I cut. I know this sucks to modify the LR, but when you put the stock rubber pad back you don't see any of it. (The wires that are in there are from my old XM radio setup that I will be getting rid of.) (and yes I know I need to vacuum the mess out!)

Now, just as Arsi said, put the screen in, put the top in first then press the bottom in. You can see how well it lines up. Mine fits pretty snug, but I may do as Arsi did and put some velcro on the side to make it even snugger.

Here is a side shot showing how well it fits, and how well it follows the LR lines.

Guys - if you want navigation and don't have it, this is a fantastic way to do it. Arsi, thank you for figuring this out. It took me less than an hour total to get the dash and screen cut and fitted. This is fantastic. It honestly looks great sitting in the car, and it looks factory.

I haven't cut my black rubber padding that sits there yet. I'm going to wait to do that until the very end after the shop installs all the electronics.

I hope this helps someone.

Post #42428318th Feb 2009 4:17 pm
Frodo

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

Nice job radionightster! I wish my HSE had a backup camera.
 2000 Discovery 2 Kent Green (totaled) R.I.P.
2006 Discovery 3 HSE Bonatti Grey 

Post #42461218th Feb 2009 10:42 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Excellent job and looks 8)

radionightster wrote:

I haven't cut my black rubber padding that sits there yet. I'm going to wait to do that until the very end after the shop installs all the electronics.

Don't bother cutting the standard non-sat-nav rubber mat. It'll leave you with a 3mm step/chunk of rubber in front of the screen.

Just buy the proper LR sat-nav mat (FAH500032PVJ).....it's very cheap and will leave you with a perfect finish Thumbs Up

Once again...nice work and looking forward to seeing some pics of it working Thumbs Up
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #42470819th Feb 2009 7:32 am
powella

Australia 2007 LR3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3

Guys,

My car has a similar setup which was in it when I got it. V500, 702, bluetooth and a G431 for navigation(no speed input Crying or Very sad ). I have a HSE with the AMP under the drivers seat, and the V500 and G431 are under the centre rear seat.

So a couple of questions:
1. On mine if the Factory radio/cd is on, and the source on the Kenwood is elsewhere, I still get a boom from the SUB. But I can't hear the center speaker.
So I think they have simply taken the front speaker line out from the amp under the drivers seat and wired them to the high level input on the V500. Does anyone know how theirs was done?

2. Where is your V500 and Nav system?

3. I put in my own bluetooth adapter. I am wondering where your microphone is?

Cheers,
AP
 2007 Discovery 3 HSE TDV6, Java Black. Towing a Kimberley Karavan... somewhere...  
Post #42479519th Feb 2009 10:20 am
radionightster

2006 LR3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackLR3

Update:

I am very frustrated Smile My screen is a bad unit, the colors are all inverted on the screen. The problem is either the screen itself, the cable, or the data box for the screen. So everything looks horrible.

Also, I bought the extra XM RADIO antennae for the Kenwood GPS Nav unit and for some reason I can't get a XM radio signal. That's ok, I'd rather save the monthly fees anyway on that. And, when I turn my car off the windsheild wipers cycle once. The backup camera works perfectly except again the colors on the screen Smile

I'm mostly mad about the screen because I can't return it, and I bought it online so I'm basically screwed, especially because I cut the back plastic on the screen.

Lessons learned: Test your gear before you modify it! I can live with the screen being broken for now, in the future I will buy another and test it out first.

PaulP wrote:
Excellent job and looks 8)

radionightster wrote:

Don't bother cutting the standard non-sat-nav rubber mat. It'll leave you with a 3mm step/chunk of rubber in front of the screen.

Just buy the proper LR sat-nav mat (FAH500032PVJ).....it's very cheap and will leave you with a perfect finish Thumbs Up

Once again...nice work and looking forward to seeing some pics of it working Thumbs Up

Thank you for this suggestion. I bought the LR sat-nav mat as you suggested and it fits PERFECTLY. Thank you again brother.

Post #4309221st Mar 2009 2:08 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >