Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D4)

Fitting front cameras on D4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
jack2006

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
Fitting front cameras on D4

Novelty now worn off with just rear view camera, but the trailer assist is excellent. So because my camera module has 4 other inputs it seemed a shame not to use them and I have the full camera harness, or so I thought..................

Managed to get 2 cameras for front bumper and thought that was it until I found that I was missing the camera link harness from behind headlight to cameras in bumper. Unfortunatly you have to buy the complete bumper harness (not much there for 184 + vat) but ordered from dealers and also asked for the 'breakaway' plastic mounting for cameras that is described in Topix. Parts dept checked with LR and they confrimed that this is not available as a seperate part?, does that mean in a shunt and the cameras drop clear you have to buy a complete bumper?

In any event it looks like I am going to have to mount the cameras without the plastic clip/bracket so question is:-

Has anyone done this with regard to positioning drilling of hole for lens etc?

Thanks in advance,

Jack

Post #125729622nd Mar 2014 10:50 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

To be honest, the positioning of the front cameras on my 2013 D4 leaves a lot to be desired. They both basically point in the same direction.

I thought they would be good as blind junction cameras, but they are useless for that as they both look forwards. IMO they should be aimed at 45 degrees left and right to give a 'round the corner' view.

So you might be better off finding another way of mounting them to achieve the above?

Post #125730422nd Mar 2014 10:57 pm
jack2006

My thoughts were the same Gareth thinking that they would be good for blind junctions.

Looking at the inside jpg image of bumper from Topix they are postioned either side of mid air intake slot.

When I plugged them into the camera harness 'free' they seem to give a limited wide angle view, so thinking about it you are right that the location would give them majority front view with limted 'spill' to the sides.

I still need to fit the harness from passenger side footwell to location behind D/S headlight so will get that done first and then temporary fit new bumper harness on surface of bumper and gaffer tape cameras to try and find better location for blind viewing.

One thing I noticed though in Topix blurb was that the cameras need recalibrating after change.

Why would this be?

are they used for something other than driver viewing?

Cheers,

Jack

Post #125731422nd Mar 2014 11:11 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I'm not sure about the recalibration.

I think if you were to use the mounting block that is used the angle the rear camera backwards, on the front bumper, with the cameras pointing left and right, you would have an excellent junction view.

Post #125734923rd Mar 2014 12:00 am
robbo770

Scotland 

jack2006 wrote:
My thoughts were the same Gareth thinking that they would be good for blind junctions.

Looking at the inside jpg image of bumper from Topix they are postioned either side of mid air intake slot.

When I plugged them into the camera harness 'free' they seem to give a limited wide angle view, so thinking about it you are right that the location would give them majority front view with limted 'spill' to the sides.

I still need to fit the harness from passenger side footwell to location behind D/S headlight so will get that done first and then temporary fit new bumper harness on surface of bumper and gaffer tape cameras to try and find better location for blind viewing.

One thing I noticed though in Topix blurb was that the cameras need recalibrating after change.

Why would this be?

are they used for something other than driver viewing?

Cheers,

Jack

Any info on the camera system , wiring diagrams etc you could share via your gallery would be great as I am away to plumb in two front ones on the 2014 bumper to the D3system.

For info get couple of evogue cables as they fit the same cameras connections , and can be sourced for around 20 bucks for the pair from breakers Thumbs Up

I need some photo's of where the camera control module is and how it is plumbed to the head unit on the D4?

Any chance you guys can provide, and how the engine bay wiring is routed and what it looks like?

Thanks Rob, will help with anything I get on here to help everyone with the retrofit.
 FFRR SC 4.2

Rejected!! RRS2
Fit TDV6 intercooler hoses
Fast Road intercooler
De-Cat pipe
D3 to B4 front end Upgrade
OEM TV/DVD Screens+wireless Headphones! 

Post #125737923rd Mar 2014 7:22 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Good luck with that Shocked

There is no software in the d3 to control the camera module
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #125738323rd Mar 2014 8:31 am
robbo770

Scotland 

Hi Wiggs,

I was thinking of getting a unit that has split screen output with the left and right camera info displayed at the same time, could then see if it can be shown on the venture cam input instead?, with speed sensor disabling to allow on screen image being shown?

What do you recon?
 FFRR SC 4.2

Rejected!! RRS2
Fast Road intercooler
De-Cat pipe

Post #125738423rd Mar 2014 8:47 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wiggs

You could with analog cameras

The digital ones used with the camera module require can bus signals to operate ( and display them ).
Post #125739623rd Mar 2014 9:27 am
robbo770

Scotland 

Nothing would ever be that easy with a Land rover would it Shocked

So will need a camera module definitely then, what about one from an evogue, that should work just as well as it uses the sane cameras,

This camera functions, is it 2010 onwards only, ie the touchscreen with the hard drive etc nod new look software on it?

Or is it confined to my12 onwards
 FFRR SC 4.2

Rejected!! RRS2
Fast Road intercooler
De-Cat pipe

Post #125740023rd Mar 2014 9:37 am
steveraspberry

United Kingdom 

Gareth wrote:
To be honest, the positioning of the front cameras on my 2013 D4 leaves a lot to be desired. They both basically point in the same direction.

I thought they would be good as blind junction cameras, but they are useless for that as they both look forwards. IMO they should be aimed at 45 degrees left and right to give a 'round the corner' view.

So you might be better off finding another way of mounting them to achieve the above?

They are in a much better position on the MY14 Gareth. They now can function as you say they should. Not a replacement for the Mark One Eyeball obviously but a useful aid nonetheless. I used it turning right onto a main road that had stationary traffic from the left. FFRR let me out but vision was difficult to the left. Camera button on the dash and it was easier to make a decision. Useful for spotting bikes filtering too!

Best,

Steve Thumbs Up
 My17 Volvo XC90 Inscription
MY15 Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian
RGK Tiga Fx Wheelchair,
Large Alsation called Abbs Smile
Medium blue Staffie called Piglet
Medium Alsation called Bailey Smile 

Last edited by steveraspberry on 23rd Mar 2014 1:23 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #125741923rd Mar 2014 10:19 am
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Had this photo in my gallery because somebody else asked about the positioning a while ago, I do agree with the others about the position of them and am looking forward to the new positioning on the MY14 Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge
 Cheers Ian
--------------------
Club N.E.R.D.S
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Discoless 

Post #125744823rd Mar 2014 11:51 am
jack2006

Thanks for pic of location Hairy Dan.

The harness from LR limits position so I will make a mounting block Gareth as per your suggestion to try different angles but retain the std L/R positions if possible and post results.

Robbo 770, I will post the Topix schematics for the D4 surround camera system but as Wiggs mentions it is a digital system unlike (I think?) the D3 which is analogue.

From what I managed to glean when adding this mod to my D4 the D3 analogue has 2 connections to its cameras which in my world would be power and coax analogue/RF transmission. The D4 using 4-wire digital power and coms. However I will stand corrected on this..................

The only system I have done is the D4 which requires the infotainment system upgrade that I did last year (see earlier posts).

Unsure on rules for this but worth a look:- LAND ROVER DISCOVERY 4 DVD TV SAT NAV REVERSE CAMERA HSE XS GS RANGE ROVER.

Cheers,

Jack

Post #125777323rd Mar 2014 11:42 pm
wiggs

robbo770 wrote:
Nothing would ever be that easy with a Land rover would it Shocked

So will need a camera module definitely then, what about one from an evogue, that should work just as well as it uses the sane cameras,

This camera functions, is it 2010 onwards only, ie the touchscreen with the hard drive etc nod new look software on it?

Or is it confined to my12 onwards

2010 onwards .. All surround camera systems use the camera module

As said you can't control it from a d3 .. There is no software
Post #125777723rd Mar 2014 11:49 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >