DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

MY15 Stop/Start
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 8 of 8 <12345678
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4

B16 KJR wrote:
drivesafe wrote:
Hi folks and first off, congrats MiniMick on the wedding, and the fix.

Folks, have a read of the full fat forum, as there is a post about the same request to get rid of the STOP/START feature and a guy in the US found a quick and simple fix.

Do you have a link to that post ?

Two questions:

1. Is there a 'how to' DIY guide to change the SS battery here anywhere when it goes kaput? A friend has a LR4 and it's packed up. I have an LR3 here and no clue how to change. Been searching but can't find a post.

2. Did anyone find the link on disabling the SS feature without the light as mentioned above?

Thanks

Thumbs Up
 PAGODA  
Post #21664948th Aug 2020 2:32 pm
RATA1

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I found out that if you disconnect the SS battery it complains and still puts the yellow warning on the dash.
If you disconnect the seatbelt connector under the seat - the blue connector I think on the top or bottom left - one is the seatbelt clip, the other the seat belt pre-tensioner, it complains about the seat airbag. I decided this was probably not a good idea if I had an accident and the SRS system decided to under inflate or not pretension.
It still irritates me. Other things I have thought of is a dummy load across the SS battery to drop the voltage a bit or interrogating the CAN bus with a CAN sniffer to see what command is sent to turn the light on/off then toggle it - but that is a steep learning curve, requires some sort of processor permanently connected and sniffing, not to mention a lot of scope for bricking!

On the Jag forum I read thete is a lead you can pull out of the Battery Quality Monitor but don't know of the D4 has one of those or whete it is.
 In today's world, if you contribute something, you don't contribute enough. If you contribute nothing, you receive everything.

2014 Discovery XXV
1961 Series 2 

Post #21665008th Aug 2020 2:46 pm
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4

Found this - at least it shows where the battery is. And some lovely tatts to boot! Rolling Eyes

PAGODA  
Post #21665238th Aug 2020 4:39 pm
Dannyson

England 

Like most mechanical work on a car - its easy to replace if you have the right tools. In the case of the SS battery its the need of a magnetic socket wrench that holds onto the bolt of the restraining clamp when its extracted......

Needless to say I didn't have one, so took to a local independent who swapped the battery over to my newly supplied one... and the fault light went out after I reminded them to 'tell the car' it has had a new SS battery.

SS still don't work of course - don't do nearly enough miles....
 2016MY Discovery HSE - Black
2009MY Toyota Land Cruiser (Lc4) - Black 

Post #21665908th Aug 2020 9:45 pm
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

The SS battery is pretty easy to change, but you need to do a battery management reset afterwards. This requires something like an IID tool. I didn't do the reset when I changed mine over and the SS unavailable amber warning light still went out and SS started again, however it is best to do this if possible.
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #21665948th Aug 2020 10:29 pm
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

By the way, if the stop start amber warning light (Eco) comes on, it's most likely it's the small SS battery. If SS just stops working with no warning light, it's quite likely to be a main battery problem.
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #21665978th Aug 2020 10:32 pm
Dannyson

England 

From my research on here and many other Marques..... the Stop/Start function only works regularly when the car is also used regularly.

I have seen no evidence that shows the main battery may be at fault if the SS doesn't work all the time.

I would be interested to see any evidence to the contrary..
 2016MY Discovery HSE - Black
2009MY Toyota Land Cruiser (Lc4) - Black 

Post #21665998th Aug 2020 10:41 pm
Washwipe

England 

+1 Thumbs Up
Mine only works for a week or so after a day or so on the Cetek, no warning lights showing when it does/doesn’t work. Was like that from new, even when the main battery failed nearly two years ago and was replaced, stop/start worked for a week or so then back normal.

Post #21666499th Aug 2020 9:15 am
Tyty

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

MiniNick wrote:
So the thrilling conclusion of this story....

So I Red's and jdhx's advice on contacted the AA legal team. Got a letter drafted and just as I posted it, the dealership phoned me saying they think they have resolved the problem! After all that the wire that goes to the battery monitor was crossed (terminals the incorrect way round). Which was giving a false reading to the Stop/Start module. Hence not cutting out.

The dealership were very apologetic since they think they should have caught it earlier. On the plus side they did put £500 behind the bar for our our wedding last sat, so not a complete loss!!

So all in all, a frustrating experience but at least a half decent ending. Case closed Very Happy

Am I right in thinking that item 1 is the Battery Monitoring System and that swapping those terminal wires around will disable start/stop??

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by Tyty on 29th Jan 2024 1:15 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #236027429th Jan 2024 11:31 am
itsaguything

Canada 2015 LR4 3.0 SCV6 HSE Lux Auto Aintree GreenLR4

Glad it is fixed but that situation is alarming from a professional.

In other news I have first hand experience where stop-start does work at -7C, despite the guidelines. Go figure…
 2015 LR4 HSE Lux Aintree Green
2013 LR2 HSE Radiance Red
2007 XKR Jaguar Racing Green
2005 XJR Jaguar Racing Green
2002 S-Type R British Racing Green 

Post #236028029th Jan 2024 12:44 pm
HairyFool

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

Tyty wrote:

Am I right in thinking that item 1 is the Battery Monitoring System and that swapping those terminal wires around will disable start/stop??

Click image to enlarge

Item 1 is indeed the BMS module and is only monitoring that battery, mess around with that then you lose the BMS.

There is no direct monitoring of the Auxilliary battery (it is NOT the "SS battery", it just needs to be OK for SS to work ). When SS activates The PSDB offloads some sensitive devices from the main battery so they are not affected when the engine is restarted.

Anyone who has had a D3 with a tired battery will be familiar with the HDC/Special programs off message when you start up. Using the Aux battery to power them independently stops that happening.
 A visitor from the dark side, my other vehicle is an MG5 EV  
Post #236028729th Jan 2024 1:52 pm
Tyty

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Thanks for that,

My main goal being to disable start/stop without any warning lights or adverse effects on any other systems, similar to the OP who was having issues with start/stop not working without any errors or lights, and what took JLR weeks to figure out it was an issue with the terminals going to the battery monitoring system.

I see there are a few threads on the forums with people having issues with stop start not working due to a failing primary battery. Again no faults or dash lights to suggest anything is wrong, just the fact that the start/stop will not trigger an engine shutdown.

Looking at the wiring diagram below, I may experiment with the ground wire coming out of the BMS/The blue "MON" wire going into the BMS with some resistors. The goal is being able to trick the BMS that the battery status is not quite sufficient to allow a stop/start procedure but not to trigger any faults or other issues.

Click image to enlarge

Post #236029029th Jan 2024 2:59 pm
HairyFool

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

You can't play with the ground wire from the BMS Sensor as that is the main battery to chassis earth.

Yes the blue wire is feedback from the battery positive but may just be used to drive the BMS sensor.

LIN is a low cost data bus channel
 A visitor from the dark side, my other vehicle is an MG5 EV  
Post #236031329th Jan 2024 6:53 pm
itsaguything

Canada 2015 LR4 3.0 SCV6 HSE Lux Auto Aintree GreenLR4

And yet the amber dashboard light was not on in my case.
Ok, put in an old depleted lead-acid aux battery Wink
 2015 LR4 HSE Lux Aintree Green
2013 LR2 HSE Radiance Red
2007 XKR Jaguar Racing Green
2005 XJR Jaguar Racing Green
2002 S-Type R British Racing Green 

Post #236033129th Jan 2024 10:12 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 8 of 8 <12345678
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >