Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

*Transmission Fault - Special Mode Not Available* (Again)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
DiscoKick

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Vienna GreenDiscovery 3
*Transmission Fault - Special Mode Not Available* (Again)

Hi All,

So on starting the engine, 98% of the time, I get:

*Transmission Fault - Special Mode Not Available*

The odd 2% is works, no rhyme nor reason, often only works for a couple of minutes.

Things I've tried:
- New Battery
- New (second hand) TCM, two different ones. Upon fitting I did the calibration through the IID tool, and still nothing.

I had some fault codes on the IID, I cleared them, and no new ones come up?! It's been months since I cleared them and not yet returned.

My raise/lower toggle also does not work, through the IID I can raise and lower the car no problem.

Slightly at a loss here, and torn as car has a low value so don't want to take to a garage and fork out the big bucks!!

Thanks All

Post #23251612nd Feb 2023 4:03 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi

May I ask does ur suspension lever have a light showing plse , if not I wonder if maybe a drink has been spilt onto the switch assembly leading to the pcb underneath , seeing the high/ low transfer case switch is also next to it

Using the iid have u tried to reactivate the suspension system in order for the light to come back on

Thinking if it would be worth lifting up the suspension/ high- low panel and checking all the connections to ensure all the pins are all ok

Would also check to ensure there arnt any oil leaks from the mechatronic sleeve connector , plus checking to ensure the new battery was fully charged before hand and reading a min of 12.6Vdc with the engine off

Can u remember what the codes were plse , must confess I always send mine to my email and then clear them

Hope that helps in a small way

Post #23251742nd Feb 2023 5:39 pm
DiscoKick

Re: *Transmission Fault - Special Mode Not Available* (Again)

Lawis wrote:
Hi All,

So on starting the engine, 98% of the time, I get:

*Transmission Fault - Special Mode Not Available*

The odd 2% is works, no rhyme nor reason, often only works for a couple of minutes.

Things I've tried:
- New Battery
- New (second hand) TCM, two different ones. Upon fitting I did the calibration through the IID tool, and still nothing.

I had some fault codes on the IID, I cleared them, and no new ones come up?! It's been months since I cleared them and not yet returned.

My raise/lower toggle also does not work, through the IID I can raise and lower the car no problem.

Slightly at a loss here, and torn as car has a low value so don't want to take to a garage and fork out the big bucks!!

Thanks All

Aha yes I did email them actually, good thinking!!

GAP did say to me via email:

VIN fault is irrelevant, will work with it. If its not working, it either needs an update and a calibration or just a calib.

Quote:
Engine TDV6

P0100-00 (2F) Mass or volume air flow circuit
Parking Aid

B1B48-96 (6C) Rear left outer sensor - Component failure - internal failure
B1B50-01 (6C) Rear left inner sensor - General failure information - general electrical failure
Parking Brake

U0101-87 (A8) Lost communication with transmission control module - Bus signal/message failure - missing a message
( at 232098 km )
Transfer Case

P0806-00 (2F) Clutch position sensor - circuit range/performance
( at 232098 km )
U1A35-4A (2F) VIN data - System internal failure - incorrect component installed
( at 232098 km )
Ventilation

B1B74-00 (2E) Front foot-defrost mode stepper actuator
( at 232098 km )
B1B75-00 (2F) Front foot-face mode stepper actuator
( at 232098 km )
B1B76-00 (2F) Front left air blend stepper actuator
( at 232098 km )
B1B77-00 (2F) Front right air blend stepper actuator
( at 232098 km )
B1B78-84 (2F) System pressure - Bus signal/message failure - signal is below allowable range
( at 232064 km )

Regarding the light for the suspension, the Bar light is present and correct.
High / Low range selection does work.
I have removed the panel and had a quick look, it looked 'ok' but I can't say I really investergated throughly.

I've not come accross the mechatronic sleeve connector you mention, something to investergate.

I'll check the battery tonight, and if anything less than 12.6 pull off to charge inside.

Post #23251832nd Feb 2023 6:19 pm
DiscoKick

I've ran it again just now, and have a different bunch of faults, gosh it's a long list haha:

Audio System

U2003-31 (28) Fibre optic communication bus - Frequency modulation/pulse width modulation failure - no signal
( at 233584 km )
U2003-25 (28) Fibre optic communication bus - General signal failure - signal shape/waveform failure
( at 233556 km )
Body Control

U0155-87 (28) LCD Gauge Communication Lost - Bus signal/message failure - missing a message
( at 233550 km )
U0300-55 (68) Internal control module software incompatibility - System programming failure - is not configured
( at 233550 km )
Engine TDV6

Instrument Pack

U0010-87 (28) Medium speed CAN communication bus - Bus signal/message failure - missing a message
( at 233556 km )
Parking Aid

B1B48-96 (2F) Rear left outer sensor - Component failure - internal failure
B1B44-96 (28) Rear right outer sensor - Component failure - internal failure
B1B50-01 (2F) Rear left inner sensor - General failure information - general electrical failure
U0155-87 (28) LCD Gauge Communication Lost - Bus signal/message failure - missing a message
U0140-87 (28) Lost communication with body control module - Bus signal/message failure - missing a message
U0300-55 (28) Internal control module software incompatibility - System programming failure - is not configured
Parking Brake

U0101-87 (A8) Lost communication with transmission control module - Bus signal/message failure - missing a message
( at 233564 km )
Transfer Case

( at 233556 km )
Vehicle Dynamic

U0155-87 (08) LCD Gauge Communication Lost - Bus signal/message failure - missing a message
( at 233556 km )
Ventilation

B1A74-18 (6C) Right seat heater - General electrical failure - circuit current below threshold
( at 233592 km )
B1B78-84 (2F) System pressure - Bus signal/message failure - signal is below allowable range
( at 233514 km )

For the battery I have a good 13v from the IID when the key is on first turn, when it's all the way round, but car not started, it drops a little, but I do suppose that's as the radio and lights are running.

Post #23252152nd Feb 2023 9:40 pm
gstuart

Hi

Many thks for the codes , sorry asking but is that after u cleared everything and then re scanned it plse

Plse check that fuse 17 is in the engine fuse box , think it’s a 15 amp

Do u also have a multimeter plse as can then progress on checking the MAF sensor and doing a canbus test if needs be

Will be interesting to see what comes back after everything has been cleared and if that fuse is there

Hopefully this helps in order to get it back up and running without to much hassle

Post #23252533rd Feb 2023 9:10 am
DiscoKick

Thank you,

Sorry no, that's all codes, including some from when I had it running with the radio out, hence those.

I shall, tonight in this order: (A reminder for me as much as anything haha)

Check fuse 17
Clear codes
Check codes again,

Yes have multimeter, will look at youtube videos on checking this.

Thanks again and will update soon,

Lewis

Post #23252603rd Feb 2023 10:39 am
gstuart

Ur so very welcome

That’s great and many thks , indeed plse see how u get on with the fuse and see what codes come back

Enclosed a wiring diagram of the MAF connector for u, pin 1 , so with the multimeter can then see what Vdc u have , should be around 12 Vdc and on pin 3 which is ur iAT that should be 5 Vdc

Plse feel free to ask if u want any more wiring diagrams or workshop manuals etc

Lol, ref the list , same in what I do , Fingers crossed we can find the issue

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by gstuart on 4th Feb 2023 11:03 am. Edited 3 times in total 
Post #23252923rd Feb 2023 4:27 pm
gstuart

Forgot to say, if u ever wish to test the canbus with a multimeter the following can be used

With both battery leads disconnected from the battery posts, Multimeter set to ohms, ( TP Is just short for test probe from ur multimeter)

TP to pin 6 other TP to pin 14 , read ohms
TP to pin 3 other TP to pin 11, read ohms

Hope that is also useful to u

Post #23252933rd Feb 2023 4:29 pm
DiscoKick

Alrighty!!

So checked MAF, get 5v and 12v as we wanted.

Fuse 17 all good, visual check, and continuity check

I'll pull the battery to charge overnight anyways, and when I do, I'll check the canbus as you say.

Reset codes, and read again, only now have the following which is more confusing. The screen did display the usual 'Trans Fault modes not available...'
Started it, drove a little and still only codes.

Engine TDV6

Parking Aid

B1B48-96 (2F) Rear left outer sensor - Component failure - internal failure
B1B50-01 (2F) Rear left inner sensor - General failure information - general electrical failure
Ventilation

( at 233668 km )

Post #23253083rd Feb 2023 7:16 pm
gstuart

Many thks , alas many of the codes can just be historical , great it’s narrowed the field down a bit, lol

Might be the case of having to check the air inlet associated pipe work , etc to ensure there are no air leaks, including that rubber seal that’s on the rh side of the radiator where the air ducting pipe joins onto the other pipe leading onto the turbo

However to save time thinking it may be beneficial to get the live data of the Maf and the Map sensor plse Sorry asking , but have u cleaned the MAF & MAP sensors and checked the air filter is clean plse , thks

Also included the pin layout of the OBD2 port

Indeed will be interesting to see what the canbus and live data readings are

Click image to enlarge

Post #23253634th Feb 2023 3:17 am
DiscoKick

Thanks mate!

I didn't get a chance to remove the batter in the end last night, was too busy trying to install the reversing camera, which I got working, but not coming on automatically when the screen is in RR mode.

Will try again this afternoon when I'm back from work.
I've got a new air filter here anyways, so I'll fit that and see if that makes a difference, checking for air leaks whilst I'm there. Clean the sensor, fit, get live values and take it all from there!

To confirm, we're thinking that the MAF sensor is somehow causing the transmission error?

All the best,

Lewis

Post #23253754th Feb 2023 11:39 am
DiscoKick

6 ton14 60ohmd

3 to 11 also 60

More to follow just writing so I don’t forget!!

Post #23254875th Feb 2023 2:56 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

If you have a transmission fault, the TCM is likely involved, yes i did read you changed it, BUT did you check ALL the little connectors inside the bigger 2 plugs?

The TCM is mounted in a place prone to have water ingress… and the connectors are easy corroded or bent easy… cleaning them inside is rather difficult… but corrosion needs to be removed and the tension on the plugs need to be enough to make good contact….

Yes i know it is a disaster to work there, battery in and out and in and …..
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #23254905th Feb 2023 3:08 pm
DiscoKick

Thanks mate, appriciate the comment.

I did on the first time check, and I cleaned the connectors up, and applied a small amount of this stuff:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Liqui-Moly-3140-B...&psc=1

There is some water ingress there for sure, small puddle of water at the bottom of it.

I've got the battery out now on charge, I'm going to put in one of the other TCM's I have, before refitting the battery.

Post #23255015th Feb 2023 3:57 pm
DiscoKick

Put the charged battery back in, as well as another TCM, still have the error.

Did all the calibrations available through the IID Tool, Clutch, XY and whatever the other one is!

MAF Sensor gives a live value when idling of 0 g/s 'Mass air flow senor A single frewuency'

Post #23255465th Feb 2023 8:35 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >