Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

My dream D3 build: let the games begin.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
ChrisL76

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
My dream D3 build: let the games begin.

Following some long conversations for advice and guidance, I have most of the bits I'll need to begin.
Starting with 3.6TDV8 conversion, I'm planning updating the creature comforts as much as I can during the build.
I will be doing as much as I can myself, but I will have some expert guidance in the process and these people will absolutely be getting free plugs from me as we go.

I have a bit of work to do to before anything gets pulled apart, so as soon as I begin that work I'll add updates here.

Stay tuned, but please be patient, this will be done in my spare time so progress will be slow! Very Happy

Post #236011427th Jan 2024 2:07 am
Jamiehol

United Kingdom 

Looking forward to the build updates.

I’m doing something similar and TDV8 converting my D3, yet to start as getting my workshop space setup first to make my life easier.

Post #236011927th Jan 2024 8:42 am
hinesmuk

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Looking forward to hearing about this. I’m currently doing a crank change on a tdv6. Thought long and hard about an engine change. Maybe next time! Good luck!
Click image to enlarge
 D3 07 Plate
Overlander Set Up
@Toy.Rover 

Post #236012127th Jan 2024 8:55 am
ChrisL76

Click image to enlarge

Progress post with a couple of pics.
1st order of business is to establish the condition of the donor car. It was delivered to my door a bit over a week ago. Economical write off after being vandalised. Story goes that someone threw a jar of acid through the front passenger window destroying the interior. It went to auction, a local wrecker bought it with plans to fix up and made a bit of a start. His circumstances changed and the 2009+ SE spec Rangie Sport is now mine. It was drivable at that point, I drove it into my driveway from the truck making some pretty funky sounds.
Established that the horrific clunking from the rear diff was the damaged exhaust shield pressing on the rear uni joint. That sorted, did a check run up and down my street and no other weird noises noted. In fact engine ran silky smooth. No gearbox shudder, but wasn't changing gears as I expected, and couldn't be shifted manually.
Code check gave me a BIG list: Audio system, HVAC, transmission, engine, epb, airbags, suspension, transfer case, body control, off road control... but everything suggested a whole lot of open circuits, no ecu failures as such.
Put a permit on it and did a run to UK Auto Parts (although I knew he was closed at the time, it gave me legal road time).

1st impression is that this thing goes like a bat outta hell, and drives surprisingly well - until the suspension leak became obvious which changed the dynamics a bit.
Got it home again and started investigating.

Obvious faults I found:

Audio system wouldn't boot properly. Touch screen was completely dead and the phone module appeared to be flicking on and off randomly. Pulled the touchscreen out to find it looking like it had just been pulled from the Titanic. Completely corroded, clearly it had worn a significant amount of the acid. Threw in a spare I had lying around and we would make it to the logo screen, no further. Followed the MOSTbus back and found neither the amplifier nor the phone module plugged in. Corrected that, and found Amplifier had lost the will to live and communicated only in alien trills and squawks at full volume...but still - not a biggie. Threw the amp in from my D3 and Fresh Fm then provided the background music for the rest of the day. Connected my phone and rang my incredibly patient and beautiful wife to establish everything was working!

Transmission: "Connection lost with control module", among others... So I dived into the centre console. Once fully dismantled the issue was obvious. The body loom had been tucked under the carpet and not connected to the centre console plugs. Corrected this and plugged everything back in to test - all transmission, transfer, body control and off road control faults gone!

Throughout this I had the car running with the ac on - it was a hot day and I wanted to see what the HVAC fault was doing. As it turns out it's working perfectly and ac is beautifully cool! Another fault cleared.

Inspected the dropping front right and worked out there is a split line between the valve block and the strut - again, no big concern. Fault cleared for now.

EPB - initially said switch failure, however on further check on the GAP tool (thanks Daniel!) It told me an emergency release had been performed but system unable to relatch. I can live with that, I'll relatch it manually when I pull the car apart. Cleared the fault and as long as I don't touch it it doesnt refault for now.

Engine fault only shows intermittently and it is a misbehaving egr valve - not concerned about that, they will be deleted in due course, fault cleared.

Airbags were all passenger front errors, with no seat or seatbelt fitted that doesn't alarm me either at this point.

Having run out of faults to fix, I set about cleaning up. The car is filthy from sitting various yards around the country since 2022 with a broken window. That brings me to stumps on day 2, with all faults cleared and an almost clean car - just passenger side door interiors to scrub, A pillar sunroof drains to clear and then I'll reassemble it all.

I'm toying with reregistered it until my shed is up, as that's still a few months away and gives me a chance to find any other gremlins, howver, that will entail a discussion with Regency, so the jury is out on that for now but. I'm keeping a diary (pretty much what this thread was for) just in case.

That's all for now, I'll update again soon, enjoy the pics!

Click image to enlarge

Post #23609144th Feb 2024 12:17 pm
ChrisL76

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #23609204th Feb 2024 12:55 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Great thread and can’t wait to see the progress of this one , thks so much for sharing this with us Thumbs Up

Post #23609244th Feb 2024 1:27 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Nice Cool

Mikey says not to delete the EGRs on the V8

Post #23610054th Feb 2024 8:55 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >