Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Disco 3 new park brake module - does it need coding?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
RMT

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3
Disco 3 new park brake module - does it need coding?

A simple question that I seem unable to find the answer for. I have seen probably a couple of dozen of posts and videos on how to repair these modules and I have successfully replaced the cogs once or twice on these with success. But now I am installing a brand new module from Landrover.

My tale of woe is that I repaired my current module with cogs and reinstalled it with new cables etc, new rear discs, new shoes, new backing plates, new bearings as I decided not to press the old ones back together and the shoes, clips and discs almost went back together with my bear hands with all new parts. That bit all good. The handbrake was working fine when back together and that was all good. I decided against my better judgement to bed in the new shoes (huge mistake I think) and after two stops of following the instructions, the handbrake failed and overheated but thankfully did not stick on. A months worth of fitting in this task at home around other things ruined in minutes. Nanocom says module failure as overheated and I am simply not trying to fix an overheated board.

So I have bought a brand new land rover module LR019223 and endured the usual open wallet surgery. I know how it fits in the car and have done all the wrangling with seized and rounded upper cable fixing bolts and clips/brackets before. What is unclear to me is whether I simply install it and it will work as plug and play as a new module, or whether I need to do something else in terms of coding. I cannot seem to find a post that says after you install the module, you need to do these steps either because there are none and its plug and play or there are steps and nobody says what they are. I would like to know the answer to this from someone who has actually fitted a new module and knows the answer.

Can anyone confirm what is needed when the new module is in place. Any help appreciated but please do not provide advice unless you have actual experience of doing this job yourself and know the answer as I can guesstimate as well as the next but I am looking for certainty here. Hoping someone can help.

Post #235288412th Nov 2023 7:30 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

It will work fine, but the yellow light stays on until its calibrated via diagnostic Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #235288912th Nov 2023 9:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RMT

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Thanks for that Very Happy , I will just go through calibration function on nanocom once I have installed the module.

As you know about this stuff a lot (I saw your disco rebuild posts a while ago, plus hand brake unjam etc), 2 questions you may be able to shed opinion on for me and may help others:

1. Is the frying of this module usual, I left it for over a minute and drove over 500 meters between my 2 stops as per instructions although instructions envisage 20 stops to bed in Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing .....and:
2. In your opinion, would you just be better off sanding new shoes instead of bedding in and potentially avoid what I did....just wondered as I defo will not bed shoes in again after this experience.

Post #235289212th Nov 2023 9:18 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

You don't absolutely need to bed them, fitting and adjustment is more important and it is perhaps this that caused your burn out. There is a guide on the forum (Bodsey's Brake Bible) which will get you through the adjustment process correctly if you use the search function at the top of the page.
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #235290913th Nov 2023 1:29 am
von Horst

Sweden 
Its a Headache! period!

This parking brake has given me more headaches then anything else on any car! it got stuck, wouldnt release and for 6 hours I sat in minus 12 degrees, snow falling as big as tennis balls and not a damned car in sight! it was bloody freezing! I had a bottle of Brandy in the car and was seconds away from getting myself zozzled instead when would you believe a car came and sort of helped me out, he had a RR and had actually experienced the same!

Post #235309314th Nov 2023 4:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >