DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Loss of drive...and some bad noises...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
leprechaun

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Loss of drive...and some bad noises...

My disco is seriously trying to break me, both financially and mentally😫

So driving home late last night I get about 12 miles from home and suddenly lose power whilst cruising on the motorway doing about 65. Revs went down to below 1000 and I was unable to select a gear even in sport mode (it was telling me I was in 1st gear at 50mph!)
After maybe 10 seconds and a few blips of the throttle it started to fluctuate wildly between 1-4000 rpm and I got some semblance of drive back, enough to get me home at any rate.

Then the fun started, I have to select reverse to get it on the driveway which it did for a metre or so and then again lost all drive...but now with the car half on the drive and half blocking the road. Some nasty grating noises followed including an odd one just caused by turning the wheel??

It ended up that I had to get the wife out of bad at 2am to help me push it to a safe location a few metres down the street (which she actually did without much complaining believe it or not😆)

After much searching on here until the wee hours I thought I'd try and move it onto the drive this morning in rock crawl. This it did but it took about 3 mins to get it 10 metres with it moving slowly in fits and starts.

I checked the codes with the iid tool but I don't think it's given me much to go on. The car didn't give any warnings at all during any of this which I found odd too. The only code I got was P0501-00 (2E) and later U0102-87 (2E). I was hoping it was going to be a drive shaft but the way it behaved in rock crawl mode leads me to think it's something far worse....just what I need after spending 5k on a replacement engine and 2 weeks before a 7 hour drive to Cornwall in the hols😢😢

Post #183997723rd Jul 2017 12:58 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

The lack of drive and grating noises Shocked if not a prop shaft or external drive shaft problem, this could be worn splines on main shafts within the gearbox / transfer box, I think Disco_Mikey has come across this before............ This could turn out to be expensive, I'm sorry to say. What mileage is it at ?
 D3 owned from new, P017 brake recall, BAS FBHIC, new FBH, LR013487 oil pump, new water pump. RRS front lower suspension arms. New suspension compressor/ relay. New Denso alternator. CuNifer rear brake pipes. New GKN rear propshaft. New HPFP belt & tensioner. New A/C Condenser.NO WARRANTY for many many years.  
Post #183998723rd Jul 2017 1:44 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Had rather concerning wear on the output shaft if my old gearbox and input spines on the transfer box...

165k miles, and set as a bone from the factory Rolling Eyes
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #183998823rd Jul 2017 1:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
leprechaun

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

It's done 115k, I would have thought the gearbox would have been up to more than that but who knows?

Is there any easy way to diagnose prop shaft? I had it in to TVLR to have the propshaft sorted last year and instead of fitting a new one they had it refurbished, it's still under warranty so that would be a nice outcome.

Post #183999323rd Jul 2017 2:25 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >