Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Torque Converter
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
rockcrawler

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Torque Converter

I need to have my torque converter replaced and have been advised to replace the gearbox filter but I've also seen an upgraded metal sump pan. Is there a vast difference between the metal one and the original plastic one ?
 D3 Metropolis Bonatti Grey-Alpaca Leather-adaptive headlights-fridge-EGR blanking kit-Harmen Karden-Cruise-4x4 info enabled-Tinted Windows-Heated F&R Seats-Rosen rear Entertainment-LED'S everywhere -Smoked Side Repeaters-Rear Aircon-Vredestein Wintrac 4 Extreme-Puddle and Footwell Lamps-Stainless Steel Side Protection Tubes- NEW ASHTRAY ( thanks to dsd1036 )
Club BAS Remote FBH
Club MXS10 Ctek
Club Beanie Grill
Rear D4 Lamps
Geoff Gearbox Flush
BAS Remap 

Post #19118657th Feb 2018 3:09 pm
sputnixb51

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

By doing Filo’s method of flushing and fitting the ZF metal pan and filter I sorted mine out, done close to 10,000miles since and my 56 plate has never been so smooth, I had had a machine flush before that without replacing the filter and the judder came back but not for a good while. Don’t use the cheap metal version there will be a risk the metal is too thin and will distort and maybe cause a leak, the ZF one is very strong still has a drainer and good magnets, also replace the electrical connector seals while your at it. This is only the facts for my situation others will disagree as in other posts on the subject. Good luck 😉

Post #19118737th Feb 2018 3:36 pm
rockcrawler

Thanks for the advice but any idea why the metal pan would be better than the plastic one ?
 D3 Metropolis Bonatti Grey-Alpaca Leather-adaptive headlights-fridge-EGR blanking kit-Harmen Karden-Cruise-4x4 info enabled-Tinted Windows-Heated F&R Seats-Rosen rear Entertainment-LED'S everywhere -Smoked Side Repeaters-Rear Aircon-Vredestein Wintrac 4 Extreme-Puddle and Footwell Lamps-Stainless Steel Side Protection Tubes- NEW ASHTRAY ( thanks to dsd1036 )
Club BAS Remote FBH
Club MXS10 Ctek
Club Beanie Grill
Rear D4 Lamps
Geoff Gearbox Flush
BAS Remap 

Post #19118797th Feb 2018 3:47 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

It's not "better", it has a replaceable filter as well as being easier to fit

That said, I have had no luck with them sealing. I personally stick with the plastic ones. Never had an issue Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #19118977th Feb 2018 4:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
sputnixb51

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

When doing the pan change in situ like I did you have little choice other than lifting your engine to get room to replace like for like and when I looked at the engine mount and how difficult that is to access I went metal sump it also means you can replace the filter more often 10 years is far to long in my opinion,
This all started as an emergency, I had a terrible judder you would think the engine and box were going to end up on the ground, I had found a low mileage box and TC (47,000) ready to sort things when my cousin suddenly died, also meaning a 2000 mile round trip, so I did as I said Filo’s method etc thinking at the very least I would have temporary drive ability, the result however has been far and above my hopes, the D3 had done 80,000 when I got it now at 147 and some 000 miles and as I said smoother than its ever been. Certainly smoother than it ever was after the machine flush. I was warned that machine flushes are not always the answer by the way.

Post #19118997th Feb 2018 5:05 pm
rockcrawler

Disco_Mikey wrote:
It's not "better", it has a replaceable filter as well as being easier to fit

That said, I have had no luck with them sealing. I personally stick with the plastic ones. Never had an issue Thumbs Up

That's convinced me to stick with the plastic one
Club BAS Remote FBH
Club MXS10 Ctek
Club Beanie Grill
Rear D4 Lamps
Geoff Gearbox Flush
BAS Remap 

Post #19119317th Feb 2018 6:21 pm
rockcrawler

sputnixb51 wrote:
When doing the pan change in situ like I did you have little choice other than lifting your engine to get room to replace like for like and when I looked at the engine mount and how difficult that is to access I went metal sump it also means you can replace the filter more often 10 years is far to long in my opinion,
This all started as an emergency, I had a terrible judder you would think the engine and box were going to end up on the ground, I had found a low mileage box and TC (47,000) ready to sort things when my cousin suddenly died, also meaning a 2000 mile round trip, so I did as I said Filo’s method etc thinking at the very least I would have temporary drive ability, the result however has been far and above my hopes, the D3 had done 80,000 when I got it now at 147 and some 000 miles and as I said smoother than its ever been. Certainly smoother than it ever was after the machine flush. I was warned that machine flushes are not always the answer by the way.

Thanks sputnixb51 Thumbs Up
Club BAS Remote FBH
Club MXS10 Ctek
Club Beanie Grill
Rear D4 Lamps
Geoff Gearbox Flush
BAS Remap 

Post #19119327th Feb 2018 6:22 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >