Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Parking brake jammed fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Thommo805

United Kingdom 
Parking brake jammed fault

Hi this morning got warning and high screech parking brake warning , can’t get it to release , tried the manual cable it pulled up about an inch but no release , tried the autel to release didn’t release any thing else I can do .

Post #23322434th Apr 2023 3:41 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Pull harder!!

You need to give it a very hard pull using a strong screwdriver or similar through the eye of the cable.
If you straddle yourself between the front seats it will make this easier.

MAKE SURE THE CAR IS CHOCKED OR IN PARK IF ITS AN AUTO!
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #23322544th Apr 2023 5:27 pm
Thommo805

United Kingdom 

Ok managed to get the cable pulled tool out the centre bit around gear selected so could get a better pull on it , bloody does take some effort , so what’s next if I try the hand brake I get the loud squeeling on looking on other forums if mentions that it may just need adjusting in the module and the shoes replacing adjusting if seized etc does this make any sense ?

Post #23322714th Apr 2023 7:41 pm
PROFSR G

Yep, wheels, calipers, carriers, and hubs off and inspect carefully what's going on in there. It's usually ignored during servicing which is a bad thing especially so if the car is used off road.

Most likely rust has got at the components so you'd be best armed to have all the bits and gubbins in there before you begin dismantling. If you are doing it yourself download Bodsy's Brake Bible from the Wiki section and follow it exactly as prescribed.

If you haven't done rear brake shoes before I'd respectfully suggest this may not be the one to start learning on. Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #23322804th Apr 2023 9:24 pm
Thommo805

United Kingdom 

I haven’t done them before , but need to start somewhere so be on you tube and the bible , , done front hubs , bearings , track rods , front discs /pads , suspension compressor, instrument cluster , so hopefully can step up lol are they that difficult ?

Post #23322824th Apr 2023 9:40 pm
DIY Ace

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Go for it, read the Bodsy's great guide and you'll be fine. My EPB screeched into catastrophe too and I managed to get this job done on my knees on the driveway. Not a pleasant one, but certainly doable.
 2022 BMW i4 M50. Bought Oct 2022. 10,200 miles and counting...
2014 BMW 435d convertible. Bought July 2021. 58,000 miles and counting...
2005 Discovery 3 HSE Auto. Bought Feb 2019. 169,000 miles and counting...
2009 Freelander 2 XS Manual. Bought Sep 2013. SOLD Aug 2021 (already regretted!)

https://youtube.com/channel/UCO_u_0D45x9KGfiNstzLJnw 

Post #23322834th Apr 2023 9:43 pm
PROFSR G

Thommo805 wrote:
I haven’t done them before , but need to start somewhere so be on you tube and the bible , , done front hubs , bearings , track rods , front discs /pads , suspension compressor, instrument cluster , so hopefully can step up lol are they that difficult ?

No, they're not difficult and that's not what I was referring to. They are temperamental though as the operation of the hand brake is monitored electronically by it's controlling module!!

Because of this you have to be careful in making sure the module is not left "out of the loop" when working on the mechanical side. If you have a decent diagnostic tool you should be able to induce "mounting mode" or "service mode" in some diagnostic tools before you begin disassembly. This will allow the system to take account of any new tolerances once you have reassembled everything again.

It's all in Bodsey's bible, and if you don't have a diagnostic tool to inform the module of impending maintenance there is a manual method using the hand brake switch. If you need this I can dig it up for you. The important thing is to take your time and understand the explanations in Bodsey's bible. In particular with regard to the adjustments of the shoes, of which there are two completely separate component adjustments. Exclamation

Follow exactly as described by Bodsey and you will not have a problem. If you decide to skip this or skip that you're in a whole world of trouble! Remember too what I said earlier about having all everything you need before you begin!! Have a look on Advance Factors web site and you can see from the drawings all the components within the hubs. This will help you ordering before you take it apart.
It's all cheap stuff really so just order everything within the hand brake hub and you're good to go.
If you don't need all of them now just fit them anyway, then you know you're good for at least few years! Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #23323065th Apr 2023 1:28 am
Thommo805

United Kingdom 

Appreciate your time in that reply great knowledge there so thank you it means a lot .
I have a brake shoe kit with new shoes and the components is that all the bits you’re refering to ?
Also just as an idiots guide what order do I do these jobs in , do I start with the module winding it back , unjamming etc , reconnect emergency cable … or do I start with replacing shoes etc ?

Post #23323155th Apr 2023 7:45 am
PROFSR G

You will have already unjammed it when you pulled the cable! Leave the module alone, it should be OK. Just follow the shoe replacement guide by Bodsey.

If there's a module / cable issue you will know this before you go through the procedure as the hubs will still likely be held. If the hubs are free you are good to go. When "Mounting mode" via diagnostic tool or manually via the handbrake switch is selected this will allow the cables extra slack to aid reassembly.

Study the bible first before you attempt the repair so that you fully understand the adjustments particularly the wedge adjusters.
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #23323725th Apr 2023 2:57 pm
Thommo805

United Kingdom 

Accessed the epb module removed cover , was a royal pain and possibly damaged a connector in the process , I haven’t replaced shoes yet just wanted to see if I could unjam and rewind the brass pin to reattach which I did as was wound all the way out and was jammed , now there’s a little blue plug at the top left inside the sensor I must of ripped this out as was disconnected and pins bent , I straightened pins and reconnected to hopefully work , but after trying the park brake button it doesn’t do anything before it was squeeling now it just bleeps from dash as I push it saying park brake not functioning, error codes say force sensor electrical fault I’m guessing this is ti do with the plug I messed up ?

On looking I assumed that as I used the autel to rewind or unjam after I unjammed it , it unwound itself and I thought had rematches as was right next to the white bit and I could t move either side but maybe it didn’t connect itself so throwing that fault ?

Post #23326987th Apr 2023 8:26 pm
Thommo805

United Kingdom 

Ok all working again just going to replace shoes on Tuesday , but adjusted today , sorted the wiring I ripped and reconnected emergency cable , many thanks to all that helped it’s much appreciated

Post #23327988th Apr 2023 9:53 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >