Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Intermittent knocking!!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Jon3273

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Barolo BlackDiscovery 3
Intermittent knocking!!!!

This may take a while but hang in there!!! I drive an 05 disco 3 tdv6 manual. I can get in the car drive a variety of roads and the ride and handling is amazing, however I can pop to a shop come back out and now as I drive I can slowly feel a vibration coming through the steering wheel getting progressively worse, then if I come off the accelerator there's an horrendous knocking from the area kind of behind the clutch pedal. If I accelerate again it eases a bit but as soon as I come off the gas its there. The knocking fits with the rotation of the wheels ie gets faster if I accelerate get slower if I slow. If I then brake gently whoa it's get real bad but hard breaking it goes away. It breaks strong and true with no pulling. If I stop again then come back to it it then drives like a dream again??? I'm lost??? Front discs and pads were done abt 6 months ago, its got 171k on the clock. I figure if it were I'm balanced wheels or prop it would be all the time. Same with warped discs etc. Or if it were worn bushes the knocking wouldn't be rhythmical or match the speed. Does anyone have any ideas as I'm baffled. The mot just did say hand brake is inefficient but I can't see that being the cause!! Sorry for war and peace!!!
 Disco 3 2.7tdv6
Disco 2 td5
Disco 1b 3.9 v8 gas
Defender 110 200tdi
Freelancer 1.6 petrol 

Post #22076323rd Feb 2021 12:41 am
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Front end wobbles may come from the CV joints. The other place to check is the centre prop shaft bearing, if the rubber splits you can get some wonderful feelings and noises.

Post #22076383rd Feb 2021 3:46 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >