DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Aux battery recommendation
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
KevinD3

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Aux battery recommendation

Hi all,

Setting up an aux battery setup to run lights, sockets etc. I’ve got the split charger on order but am tossing a coin over a battery choice. Budgets on the car are minimal (SWMBO is in finance) and cheep is good so can’t afford a yellow top.
Split charger has the ability to swap direction to bolster the starter battery in times of need so want one with enough umpfh. I know physical size is one of the primary restrictions so Choices I can see is to fit a starter battery of around 70ah or a leisure battery.
Only advantage I can see on the leisure batteries are they handle running flat better, but as it’ll be kept charged I’m tempted to go for the starter battery. Any thoughts?

Split charger https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2m-Ready-Made-S...890.l49292
 2008 HSE Stornoway Grey

My Wife thinks the D3 is a hobby, The D3 thinks the wife is 💕 

Post #22074022nd Feb 2021 12:33 pm
Ivan

United Kingdom 

Shame you can't afford a yellow top. Have one in my D3 and it's been fitted for years. Still running well. Mines a D40 (I think). Well worth the extra money .
 2013 RR Vogue SE SDV8
2013 Freelander 2 HSE Luxury SD4 

Post #22074692nd Feb 2021 3:43 pm
munst

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I've been looking at hankooks offerings, I have a hankook as the main battery and it's been very good in the cold weather.

This is the leisure battery I've been planning to fit when I get around to fitting the tmax system. Can always upgrade later.

https://www.batterymegastore.co.uk/product...-12v-xv65/

Edit - I should say I have never tried to fit this battery so I am just going off rough measurements that it should fit but please check before buying Smile

Post #22075712nd Feb 2021 8:23 pm
KevinD3

Hi Munst, thanks for that, about the standard I was looking at, and don’t worry, it’s going under the bonnet so will deffinately be measuring twice before I get one. Very Happy
 2008 HSE Stornoway Grey

Post #22075822nd Feb 2021 8:52 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I fitted a Peugeot 307 diesel car battery(don’t know the make) on my old D3 it was 8 years old when I sold it, it never let me down once and got me started many times when the main battery failed to, point I am making is you don’t need to buy an expensive elaborate battery if you are on a budget unless you have a specific reason, for starting purposes you are only supplementing the main battery, not using the auxiliary battery on its own:thumbsup:

p.s. Leisure battery’s are always down on cranking amps.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #22075912nd Feb 2021 9:16 pm
munst

I thought about leisure vs starter as well and came to the conclusion I would be wiring things into the secondary battery so would be more likely to flat the secondary battery and save the main than flat the main and need to jump from the secondary.

The size you want for easy fit infront of the brake servo is 027, if you wanted to spend a bit more money you could get a 650cca starter battery in there, might be the better option if you weren't planning to run it totally flat.

Post #22075952nd Feb 2021 10:00 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Re: Aux battery recommendation

KevinD3 wrote:

Only advantage I can see on the leisure batteries are they handle running flat better, but as it’ll be kept charged I’m tempted to go for the starter battery

Tbh i do not understand this quote....

If you keep it charged.. you do not need an extra battery.... makes no sence... 8)

But if you mean, I recharge it always...or quick, or whatever... you still need a deep cycle battery for auxiliary use.... starters are just not made for stationary use.. only for, huge amounts of current in very very short time (starting). For the rest they only function as a condenser/buffer between alternator and The sources who need current... or for very very short moments when alternator power drops (traffic light)

A starter as auxiliary battery is just a crap solution, cheap though...
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #22076062nd Feb 2021 10:47 pm
KevinD3

Hey Motolab. I see your point around long drain and short burst capability, I wasn’t sure, hence the question around which one to use.
I’m not setting up at the moment for heavy pull (fridges etc) yet, initial use will be low watt camping lights, charging etc and use it support the main if required so can afford the lesser capability now and upgrade in line with demand later. Saying that, if a leisure around the 65ah size is the way to go then that’s what I’ll aim for.
 2008 HSE Stornoway Grey

Post #22076092nd Feb 2021 11:03 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

The main reason I fitted an auxiliary battery was to start the engine should the main battery let me down if l a door was left open for example, with a D3 it’s not if this was to happen its when and when is always at the most inconvenient time, that’s why I recommend a starter battery over a leisure , I doubt a smaller leisure battery who produce enough amps to start a D3.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #22076112nd Feb 2021 11:11 pm
Ivan

United Kingdom 

Whichever battery you fit it must be a deep cycle battery. It needs to be able to be discharged and then recharged many times. My Engel fridge (which is why I have a dual battery system) cuts out when the battery get down to about 10v. I have managed to run the fridge for 3 days in the Australian outback before needing to run the engine and recharge it.
 2013 RR Vogue SE SDV8
2013 Freelander 2 HSE Luxury SD4 

Post #22076533rd Feb 2021 9:31 am
Motolab

there are deepcycle batterys with start capability... (like a more 50/50 approach)

pricing is "in between" i only now the dutch word for it, but there is no translation to find...

we call them: " Semi Tractie " and install them if there is only space for one battery but people need things like parking heaters to run etc...
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #22076573rd Feb 2021 9:50 am
munst

That £48 hankook dual purpose has 540cca and deep cycle ability, seems ideal. Yes I'm sure a yellow top would last a few years more, but 4 year warranty on the hankook from battery megastore is good enough for me.

Buying the battery, a tmax system and a fuse box and extra cable I think you can do the install for less than £170.

Post #22076633rd Feb 2021 10:12 am
Motolab

@munst... that seems a type i meant... Thumbs Up

note: there is an easy way off checking if it is really a deep cycle... the weight! the more lead (and purer lead) the heavyer they are the more deepcycle proof they are .... generally...

so comapre the size weight ratio with a typical starter and a claimed deep cycle and you know Wink
 Best regards
Harold

Post #22076833rd Feb 2021 11:24 am
Ben4

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I managed to completely run flat and then kill my Yellow Top in the D3. running a dehumidifier in there overnight when I had a sunroof drain leak.

About to finish up the second battery install on the D4 - would the yellow top work ok on it's side? and would it fit ok behind the trim in the boot on the LHS (I have the Pro Speed bracket to mount it to.)
Thanks
 formerly Disco3Ben

2016 D4, Santorini Black
2007 D3, Black - sold 

Post #22079464th Feb 2021 4:02 pm
Motolab

since 12V is 100% empty.... AND everyting 12V or below 12V is deepcycle
a yellow top is more resistant against sulfating than a starter, it does not mean it is resistant against everything... if 11V or 10V is reaced, they should be charged again very quick again also..... but lower than those Volts will speed up the sulfating process enourmous..

always put a safety switch in between (battery and auxillary procuct), wich swiches off at around 11V then a deepcycle is rather safe (if charged soon afterwards)

a yellowtop is a sealed battery and therefore can be used on its side as far as i know..

the charging on the otherhand can be a problem due to the distance from the alternator to the auxillary battery...
thick wires, very thick wires should be used so there is little voltage drop.. too much voltage drop and it does not charge enough...
 Best regards
Harold

Post #22079504th Feb 2021 4:41 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >