Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

EPB Mystery
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
tedmaxey

England 2016 Discovery 4 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
EPB Mystery

I have been struggling to figure out an EPB problem. My MY2016 Landmark D4 parking brake operates with a healthy wheeeoooo when applied in Neutral and Park mode. However, when I stop at traffic lights etc and operate the brake, it only seems to partly operate. A second pull on the switch secures the brake otherwise the car inches forward. The same can be said for reverse (sometimes) and sport mode. I have replaced the shoes, adjusted correctly, checked play on the operating cables (about 1 inch). All this done when in “Mount “ mode. There are no faults coming up from the EPB module. The shoes have been bedded in using service mode, but still this problem persists. I had a 2011 D4 which I foolishly traded for a D5 because of Khans ULEZ, and it behaved properly when EPB was applied.
One other thing - I have to apply the brake to move selector from Park, but not from D to R. I don’t think this is correct. I couldn’t do this in My previous D4.
Is this all a software problem? I can live with both these issues, but it doesn’t seem right.

Post #236645912th Apr 2024 4:02 pm
itsaguything

Canada 2015 LR4 3.0 SCV6 HSE Lux Auto Aintree GreenLR4

Am I reading this right? You are applying the parking brake while the vehicle is in drive (D)??
I don’t think it is designed for that use case…

Moreover, as it clearly states in the owners manual, “Depress the brake when shifting from P…”.
 2015 LR4 HSE Lux Aintree Green
2013 LR2 HSE Radiance Red
2007 XKR Jaguar Racing Green
2005 XJR Jaguar Racing Green
2002 S-Type R British Racing Green 

Last edited by itsaguything on 13th Apr 2024 8:55 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #236649713th Apr 2024 3:42 am
tedmaxey

England 2016 Discovery 4 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
EPB Mystery

No. When stopping say at traffic lights, I apply the parking brake. It makes the “wheeee” but not the “ohhh”, so I have to pull the switch again. It operates a bit more and holds. The same for reverse, I have to pull the switch twice for it to fully operate. If I just hold the switch for a second, this seems to operate the brake fully. When stationary, with the car in P or N, a flick of the switch operates the brake fully. If the EPB module was faulty, the story would be different. I would know where the problem was. It’s almost as if not enough power is getting to the module in D, R and S to operate the brake fully (when stationary).

Post #236650113th Apr 2024 8:18 am
DIY Ace

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I'm confused.

You say 'No' to the question about using it in Drive but then contradict that in the subsequent sentences.... 🤔

So far as I'm aware the EPB should only be used in D, R etc when really needed in an emergency, perhaps to try to bring the vehicle to a stop. I might be wrong though, but I can't see any circumstance that would need me to use the EPB when in D and certainly not when in R.
 2022 BMW i4 M50. Bought Oct 2022. 10,200 miles and counting...
2014 BMW 435d convertible. Bought July 2021. 58,000 miles and counting...
2005 Discovery 3 HSE Auto. Bought Feb 2019. 169,000 miles and counting...
2009 Freelander 2 XS Manual. Bought Sep 2013. SOLD Aug 2021 (already regretted!)

https://youtube.com/channel/UCO_u_0D45x9KGfiNstzLJnw 

Post #236650313th Apr 2024 8:38 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >