Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Shouldn't Have Tempted Fate
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
tombuidhe

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Shouldn't Have Tempted Fate

So - picked up the caravan from storage yesterday morning and the guy asked me about the D3. Told him I'd had it for nearly 3 years with no problems. Brought the van home got packed up and gave the van a wash. Set off lunchtime today for the Caravan Club site at Onich just south of Fort William. Got about 2 miles up the road rolling down the dual carriageway when the car gave a huge shudder, almost stalled and yellow warning light and park brake fault message, plus dreadful smell of cooking brakes coming through the air vents. No other warning lights or messages. Pulled in to a layby a couple of hundred metres ahead and switched off. Terrible stink of burning brakes (or perhaps clutch as this was slipping for the last 100 metres). Checked all of the wheels and all cool so recycled the ignition and warning light not present so pulled back onto the road but immediate park brake warning again and burning smell. So limped home unhooked the caravan and took the car down to the dealer's half a mile away. Nothing they could do to the car until the middle of next week and advised me to go home and phone Land Rover assist who would supply a replacement vehicle. Land Rover Assist say that since I'd got the car to the dealer it was up to the dealer to organise a replacement. Phoned the dealer who said "yeah they're right you shouldn't have been told that. We'll organise a vehicle but Enterprise need 48 hours notice to source a car with a tow bar. So if I'd never told the guy at the storage lot that the car had been completely reliable I'd be sitting in my awning looking across the water to Ardnamurchan with a fine glass of single malt Big Cry
 For I am a raindog too.  
Post #6340049th Apr 2010 9:39 pm
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

The Caravan Club Mayday would have taken you on your holiday, and brought it all back home afterwards if they could not fix at roadside. Any they are cheaper than what I save not having LR Assist.
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #6340109th Apr 2010 9:52 pm
tombuidhe

Well they would have done if I had Mayday but since the car is still under warranty LR Assist was the only option Embarassed
 For I am a raindog too.  
Post #6340159th Apr 2010 9:56 pm
Navigator

I'm just coming to the end of warranty so didn't take Assist for the extended, Mayday also covers my MGF, bikes and the 101 - in fact, anything I'm driving or towing.
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #6340179th Apr 2010 9:59 pm
Navigator

Meant to mention that they are the only, as far as I know, service that will deal with a breakdown on the caravan / trailer if the towing vehicle is undamaged. Not a good way to go on holiday, but better than not going at all. Hope the malt wasn't waiting for you at Onich!
Post #6340339th Apr 2010 10:32 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

tombuidhe wrote:
Well they would have done if I had Mayday but since the car is still under warranty LR Assist was the only option Embarassed

I have 2 years LR assist left but still have Mayday, had a great week away in grassington in a FFRR because my FL2 broke down on the way, LRA came out not fix able, so called Mayday to be recovered to the site

LRA provided the loan car can Mayday collected the caravan backbto storage after my hols ended

well worth the extra to keep the holidays

Post #6340499th Apr 2010 10:48 pm
Harribo

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

If it's any consolation I was there on my first run out with my D3 last year en-route to John o Groats, and was eaten alive by midges at bunree, and my previous visit 8 years earlier managed to get a brand new awning destroyed by a freak gust of wind, not that this will help fix your D3. Big Cry
 Harribo  
Post #63408410th Apr 2010 7:52 am
tombuidhe

Had the malt (Laphroaig 18yo -mmmm) sitting in the back garden listening to music. With any luck I'll have a replacement car on Monday and if so we'll get on the way to Onich - think I will take out Mayday to avoid a repeat of this. Stayed at Onich last Easter, the weather was great, no midges and we had a pitch right at the front of the site on the water's edge so fingers crossed I may make it there yet.
 For I am a raindog too.  
Post #63411310th Apr 2010 9:38 am
Matty 2332

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

What caused the brake 'lock on' though ? having just serviced my rear end, i'm quite intrested ! Wink

Post #63425310th Apr 2010 6:36 pm
camelrock

England 

Got a similar problem on our 05 D3. H/B warning light yellow on, on the dash. Was in the middle of a campsite with H/B stuck on. Just kept working the switch and cycling the ignition when it suddenly released and started working. Left the H/B off that night.
Next day tryed the H/B it started to work then stopped leaving us with a partly engaged H/B. Connected diagnostics which told us there was a loss of com with the EPB. When it works the EPB sounds fine so I'm thinking bad connection or break in a wire, either way I've got a H/B I dern't use..

Post #63462411th Apr 2010 9:45 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >