Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Air suspension sinking
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
scooby driver

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Arctic FrostDiscovery 3
Air suspension sinking

I have very recently purchased an 06 D3 (last week in fact) and am very happy with the car apart from sinking air suspension at night - ride quality is so much better than previous D2 although I don't think is corners as well!

I have read a number of posts on here about the issues but none seem to clarify one thing - the car sinks all round not on one wheel, however if I remove fuse 35 it only appears to sink at the front.

I am assuming that with the fuse in place the front sinks and then the back automatically levels out but with it taken out the front sinks and the back cannot compensate.

No warning lights on dash etc

To me this appears to be a front valve block issue - am I right?

I have a 3 month warranty from the supplying (non franchise dealer) so will hopefully get it fixed under this

Post #7697323rd Mar 2011 11:33 am
evo8

Slovakia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 S Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

yes - with the battery disconnected (or the relevant fuse removed) - the car doesnot self-level - so whatever leak you have will be shown on the particular corner of the car. If front is sinking in this case - suspect the front valve block.

I had mine replaced under warranty as well - but after couple of months it started to leak again on the same left front side - so maybe the valve block was not a "brand" new one. Grrr
 2013 D4 TDV6 S; Baltic Blue; IID Tool BT
2007 D3 TDV6 SE, Auto; club Faultmate MSV2 

Post #7697403rd Mar 2011 11:57 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Re: Air suspension sinking

scooby driver wrote:
To me this appears to be a front valve block issue - am I right?

I have a 3 month warranty from the supplying (non franchise dealer) so will hopefully get it fixed under this

Hi Scooby,

Welcome to this forum and D3 ownership!!!

It may be the front valve block.
If you have searched for 'sinking suspension' on this forum you will have found many posts. I have contributed in this too as I had the same problem for 1,5 years. Dealer found two air pipe leaks as well and replaced the compressor. All to say that it isn't all what it might look like.

Regarding warranty, I would say that if you have reported this problem within the warranty period, your dealer cannot tell you in 3 months that your warranty has run out and the problem is no longer covered.

I bought a second hand 2004 car in 2009, came with 6 months warranty. I reported the problem before I even bought the car and the dealer has spent 1,5 years fixing it, so well over the warranty limit.

regards

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #7697923rd Mar 2011 2:02 pm
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Re: Air suspension sinking

scooby driver wrote:
...I have a 3 month warranty from the supplying (non franchise dealer) so will hopefully get it fixed under this...

Actually, you have a comprehensive 6 month warranty and a fairly comprehensive 12 month warranty (assuming you didn't buy trade). The 'Dealer Warranty' is really just an indication as to how much of an argument you'll have if something goes wrong Thumbs Up

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/consumer-rights/
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #7698013rd Mar 2011 2:29 pm
scooby driver

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Raised to off road height and took out both fuse 3 and fuse 35 last night (both related to suspension)

This morning no real drop at all maybe 1cm but that could easily be air temperature!

Post #7701704th Mar 2011 9:52 am
sipops

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Valve Blocks

I had the same problem, overnight the car sank on all 4 corners. The remedy was to replace all of the valve blocks. We started wth just the centre one but that had no effect so then the front and rear were replaced as well. LR sell them in a pack with all 3 blocks. Providing you don't have any other leaks this should cure your problem.
 2005 D3 TDV6 HSE
1994 D1 300 TDi S 2" Lift - Off Road prepared 

Post #7704724th Mar 2011 7:34 pm
nobbyclark

Mine's been on its best behaviour for the last 10 weeks, probably because I have been threatening to replace it. But then on Sunday it kept on reporting Suspension Fault and Max Speed 30mph. Kept re-occurring after switching off and on, and same messages appeared immediately and regularly.

So it's at the indie's again today for diagnostics and I'm off to the Volvo garage on Saturday for an XC90 test drive.
 No longer a D3 owner but still subscribed to multiple threads!  
Post #7719588th Mar 2011 2:46 pm
Goffie01

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

So it's at the indie's again today for diagnostics and I'm off to the Volvo garage on Saturday for an XC90 test drive.[/quote]

Did that a few years ago . Couldnt stop laughing at the sales mans efforts to sell me the best 4x4 By Far . Rolling with laughter

Post #7719738th Mar 2011 3:23 pm
katana

Luxembourg 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

What (time) is acceptable that the car "sinks"? Or, in normal or off road mode, how long stays the car on this selected level?

My car drops from off road height to access height in 2-3 days of parking. Is this normal?
 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE java black (in Europe)
Discovery 2 TD5 HSE java black (in Africa) 

Post #7721508th Mar 2011 11:21 pm
wvlenthe

hi Katana,

This is not normal. The car should stay in the normal or off-road position. After mine has been fixed, I cannot see a difference in height after a week.

If yours is in access height after 2-3 days I wouldn't worry too much though. There is probably a small leak of some kind. It probably comes up to normal height in a few seconds after starting and the compressor can easily keep up with the leak.

Just as a comparison: mine was really leaking, it would go down to the bump stops in about an hour after parking.

regards,

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #7722289th Mar 2011 10:27 am
chocolademan

Norway 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

katana wrote:
My car drops from off road height to access height in 2-3 days of parking. Is this normal?

Mine does the same. Has done it for the last 6 months. Not worried at the minute, just gonna see how it goes..... Confused

There enough info here on the forum to hopefully solve it if it becomes a bigger problem.... Thumbs Up
 Faultmate MSV2 MultiVehicle
D3: Tailgate Actuator DIY: http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...IY%7E0.pdf 

Post #7722309th Mar 2011 10:39 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
George1879

South Africa 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

Sorry to jump in on this thread.....

In the past day or two, I've noticed that when I start the car up in the morning, the body lifts a little.... There are no warnings or alerts or anything.... Does this mean that I have a leak as its dropping overnight? Or is it normal behaviour in terms of getting the car level...? The ride height selector switch always says it is at normal height.....?

Getting a little nervous......!!!! Confused

Post #7722409th Mar 2011 10:57 am
chocolademan

Norway 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

George1879 wrote:
Sorry to jump in on this thread.....
Does this mean that I have a leak as its dropping overnight? Or is it normal behaviour in terms of getting the car level...? Getting a little nervous......!!!! Confused

No need to apologise Smile

Its seems very common that there can be a small leak in the system, normally the valve, so I wouldn't worry too much. There shouldn't be any leaks and the car shouldn't drop, but obviously with age things do start to leak and droop.

Just keep an eye on it. Like I mentioned, mine has done it for the last 6 months and it always goes back up again when I start the car and there are no fault messages.

Thumbs Up
 Faultmate MSV2 MultiVehicle
D3: Tailgate Actuator DIY: http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...IY%7E0.pdf 

Post #7722539th Mar 2011 11:46 am
wvlenthe

Same here, it has taken my dealer 1,5 year to eventually solve the problem and all that time my car has been sinking to the bump stops, sometimes within the hour. So don't worry, just monitor.
Thumbs Up

regards,

Wiljo
Post #7722729th Mar 2011 12:37 pm
George1879

South Africa 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks guys - glad it's not too serious! I suppose it's one of those inevitable facts of life that things begin to droop with age....! Laughing

Post #7722759th Mar 2011 12:40 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >