Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

battery disconnector
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Bio

Spain 2011 Discovery 3 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 3
battery disconnector

Hello everyone. I am planning to install a battery disconnector because many times, I left the D3 for 1 month without starting and I think that this would preserve the battery charge. Is this possible to do? And what seems most important to me: would it affect the ECU? Would there be new OBD faults due to having disconnected the battery? Thank you very much in advance!
Greetings. Wink

Post #236209015th Feb 2024 9:17 am
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi and welcome to the asylum Laughing

Hope u don’t mind me adding but if u fill in ur profile it helps in the future of what engine etc u have plse

Would first start with ensuring ur battery is fully charged along with age/ condition, what VDC readings ur getting with the engine off and then engine running to give u a base line so to speak

Should see a min of around 12.6 Vdc with the engine off and approx 14.5 Vdc engine running

My D3 battery also lasts around a month if not used but have a CTEK charger plugged in via my 12s towing socket when I’m not using my d3

Alas down side of disconnecting the battery is the alarm no longer being functional and would assume if it was to be stolen the insurance company wouldn’t pay out as you’ve disabled the alarm

U can get a device off eBay called a BM2 battery monitor , it displays the Vdc on ur phone having a range via Bluetooth of around 20 x feet but u can also set alarms if it drops down to a certain level

Where u live do u have access to an electric point for a charger please as that would be one of the best options, or getting a solar charger a

If u have a search on here ur see an extensive amount of information

Hope that helps

Post #236209515th Feb 2024 9:57 am
Bio

Thank you very much Gstuart for your quick response. Of course it doesn't bother me that you add me, on the contrary, it's a pleasure. The charger would have to be placed with the battery disconnected from the car and it could be charged for many days without knowing if this would harm the battery... would it? (I say many days in case I am away from home on a trip and the battery stays plugged into the charger).
And one more thing, then when I put in the OBD, wouldn't it find any fault? Sorry for the insistence, but I understand that when changing the battery, the OBD would detect the change and could cause an error and I would like to be calm about this if I decide to disconnect the car battery...... a matter of major doubts, Laughing sorry and thanks again.

Post #236209815th Feb 2024 10:25 am
ronald.soak

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

There are many chargers that can be left connected to the battery for long periods, months, without damage.
The suggestion was that the battery remain connected to the car and be charged via the trailer socket. This may not be possible for you if you do not have a source of power near where you park. If that is the case then the solar panel suggestion should help, unless you leave your car in a garage.

Regarding your concern, I do not think that you will have problems with the faults that you fear. A common practice to recover from unidentified faults is in fact to disconnect the battery and then, (only then), temporarily connect the battery cables together. This is known as a hard reset and you can search for information on this on this site.
Disconnecting the battery while you are away will give you problems with locking the car and the alarm system.
These problems can be overcome but your car will not be alarmed and you will have to be sure that the emergency mechanical door lock works. It would be a good idea to check this lock in case your battery does go flat, (discharge to a low voltage).

Post #236211115th Feb 2024 1:58 pm
Bio

Thank you so much for your explanation,. I understand.
I have it nearby to put a 220V charger. and so I will do it.
Any recommendation for a charger, one of those that can be left on for a long time and gets along well with the battery?
In what forum is there talk about installing the CTEK charger through the trailer sockets? thank you so much. You have left everything very chewed up for me Embarassed . great help!!

Post #236214115th Feb 2024 6:12 pm
Naki Blake

New Zealand 2006 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I've put one of these on my D3. I only drive mine approx once a month to go away on holiday, towing my boat or caravan.

Mines kept in a locked garage, so I'm not worried about it getting stolen, and the alarm not working.

I don't believe it's doing any long term damage to the ECU having the battery disconnected. I always open the bonnet, then allow the car to go into sleep mode first (wait 20 minutes) before disconnecting the battery

Click image to enlarge

Post #236214215th Feb 2024 6:27 pm
Bio

thank you!!
I'm new here and I've been looking for a search engine for a while to find quick information, such as battery chargers and how to install, etc.
Does this forum have a keyword search engine?
thanks in advance

Post #236214415th Feb 2024 6:35 pm
Bio

I haven't said anything... Whistle Big Cry I already found the search engine.
apologies

Post #236214515th Feb 2024 6:38 pm
Naki Blake

New Zealand 2006 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Kia ora from New Zealand!

Post #236214615th Feb 2024 6:39 pm
pwheeldon

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

If you're looking for a battery charger, the ones from Aldi or Lidl are pretty good and don't cost much.
 Discovery 4 GS 2009 Auto Stornoway Grey
Discovery 3 s 2005 Auto Bonatti Grey Gone
Discovery 3 SE 2005 Manual Zambezi Silver Gone
Range Rover Sport HSE 2006 Black
Aston Martin DB7 VV 

Post #236214715th Feb 2024 6:39 pm
Bio

Thank you, in the end I chose to buy the CTEK MXS 3.8A... CTEK says in the manual that it can charge the battery without disconnecting it from the vehicle, which is as you told me, and this reassures me.
I'll tell you about the experience. Greetings. Wink

Post #236254620th Feb 2024 8:07 pm
Bio

Hello everyone. In the end I decided to put a 12V connection (solar type) on the hood, so if it is connected, I can see it quickly before getting going and I won't have to tear it off completely.
I thought that if I had put it at the tow point, I might have left with a vehicle without realizing that it was connected (the entrance to my garage is in the front and I can't see the back). I attach a photo of how it turned out. In particular, I am very satisfied with the general installation of the CTEK and this charger works wonderfully. very very happy.. thank you for what you gave me the contribution of the charger. kind regards.[img]

Post #236494322nd Mar 2024 6:32 pm
Bio

Sorry... it took me a while to upload a photo and I'm not able to do it... I don't see a way... I'm sorry...[/img]

Post #236494522nd Mar 2024 6:56 pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Here you go:

Click image to enlarge

In your gallery, select the picture and then click on the line that says 'BB Code Full Size' to copy the link. Paste into post.
 Darren

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia

My new D4 Build Thread
My old D3 Build Thread 

Post #236495722nd Mar 2024 10:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bio

thank you so much. greetings

Post #236512325th Mar 2024 1:51 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >