Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Alternator Replacement Guide
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 8 of 9 <123456789>
dalamb

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Very useful guide, thanks for taking the time to create it. Trying to track down a drain on the battery and noticed that there was a small current flowing in the alternator cable when the engine was switched off so used this guide to replace the alternator today.

Post #212227319th Feb 2020 6:05 pm
Hot Tub

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

My lucky day Shocked Shocked all loaded with SWMBO son & two dogs start journey smells hot thought it was from being over keen cleaning under the bonnet. Then smoke inside everybody out bonnet open disconnect battery. Makes the heart race Big Cry Big Cry Somebody was looking out for us today Bow down It could have been so much worse got the car back guessing fitting new alternator Rolling Eyes
 Welsh Collie Chauffeur Service To Barney & Rooney.  
Post #214800722nd May 2020 5:10 am
Andyschleckscat

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Thanks for the thread, comments and tips etc

Just done mine this morning

A massive help

Cheers

Post #214808522nd May 2020 12:36 pm
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

A very useful guide and many thanks…. An additional word of warning for those completing this operation which may save you a world of pain… before extracting the faulty alternator from its location place a sheet of cardboard in front of the radiator…

I very slightly grazed my radiator when the alternator swung free from between the coolant pipes…or so I thought… unfortunately it was enough to catch it exactly in the wrong place and next thing I see a line of pink coolant bleeding out! Aaaaaarrrrggghhhh!

In fairness to me, on the G4’s you lose a good foot of clearance due to the front A bar and winch which means you have to lay down on the slam panel and engine to be able to reach down and extract it…

But be placing something in front of the radiator may save you a big chunk of money! Shocked

Post #224693216th Aug 2021 9:44 pm
shravanjk86

Germany 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Limping home with busted alternator

I've had my alternator go as well now, whilst on Holiday and over 1800kms from Home no less !

The Battery light came on and was putting out 13.5V for 6 full days before dying (2 days of that parked).

I had one of those cheap voltmeter thingies on which I saw the voltage continously dropping down to single digits before it gave up the ghost and I pulled over safely into a bus stop before calling assistance.

Assistance was able to get another car and jump the Disco enough to put it into neutral and load it up the tow bed. Whilst unloading , jumping it was enough to start it and reverse it back down the ramp. I was quite surprised at that , even though it only lasted for 1 minute.

I am now having it shipped back to me via Insurance to a workshop near my place(2km away).

Do we think that a fully charged battery (on CTEK Mx-5 charger for instance) will suffice to limp it back home so that i can go about the replacement at my leisure ?
It's a 20mph zone all the way back home , so even though the distance is not much , there are 3 roundabouts and pedestrian zone ish speeds to be puttering along at.
Google says 5 min in a normally running car , even if it were to be double that due to some event (say following a cyclist), do we think I can risk it ?

Post #225285022nd Sep 2021 3:54 pm
Farmer Chalk

Is it diesel or petrol?
If it’s a diesel then once the engine is started then there is very little drain on the battery other than lights , indicators etc.
If it’s petrol then you will have a constant drain supplying spark to the plugs…

I drove my one 20 miles to and 20 miles from the dealer with the alternator light on…and was lucky I did not damage the battery…
This is a likely occurrence if you continue to drive the vehicle which adds considerable more expense to your repair!

Post #225286022nd Sep 2021 4:51 pm
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

When my alternator went it had a dead short and nearly caught fire so be careful
 Andrew

D3 2.7tdv6 2005
D4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial died and gone to LR heaven
D5 3.0 SDV6 HSE 

Post #225286622nd Sep 2021 5:18 pm
gasdisco

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

When my alternator failed last month the only indication was the battery light on starting and 11.9v showing on my volmeter. Moved back ont the drive and disconnected the battery but no sparks or hot cables.
After fitting new Denso alt. the IID showed "Alt field current high". Also found that old unit was a Lucas Reconditioned unit fitted 8 years ago so some non Denso units might be O.K. - or maybe I'm very lucky!!
 01 Discovery2 V8 LPG - Resting
96 Discovery 300 V8 LPG - Resting
91 Discovery 200 TDI - Sold
71 Range Rover (Perkins 4.203) deceased 

Post #225288622nd Sep 2021 6:29 pm
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

They may not all fail the same
my light came on as i started my engine about a mile from home, i drove straight home to pick up my other car but as i pulled up at my drive i had lots of smoke pouring out from under the bonnet.
I disconnected the battery and had quite a big spark, when i change the alternator the windings had got very hot and the rear cover had melted.
 Andrew

D3 2.7tdv6 2005
D4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial died and gone to LR heaven
D5 3.0 SDV6 HSE 

Post #225289722nd Sep 2021 6:48 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

do you need to reset the battery manager system ?

Post #225295722nd Sep 2021 11:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
shravanjk86

Germany 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hi Thanks for the inputs,

The idea was just to check if I could chance it home, I have now decided to spend some dosh and get it on a recovery van once the vehicle is delivered to the garage.

My understanding of the fires has always been that it happens due to either a short or over voltage.
In my case it was constant undervoltage.

Do we know how the battery fails if the Alternator failure is due to low voltage ?
I'm contemplating re-using the same battery as I don't think that would have suffered anything other than a discharge. Will a battery health monitor suffice to take a call ? (Said battery is less than a year old)

Post #225379727th Sep 2021 11:58 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

If the alternator fails with a short, it drains and kills batteries very quickly, unless you disconnect it quickly.

Just under voltage isn't a big problem for the battery if in reasonable condition

Post #225389427th Sep 2021 6:26 pm
Farmer Chalk

After my alternator failed it was replaced and my battery was totally unaffected… sounds like I was lucky!

Post #225391427th Sep 2021 8:42 pm
Gio

Sweden 2008 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

All really good advices here, unless you have the V8.
Best way to change the alternator on the V8 is to remove the engine and cooler shields from underneath the car and access the alternator from there. You can also remove the plastic trim right next to the shield protecting the cooler and the ac compressor. Slacking the belt is still easier from the top, without removing the fan.
This video somewhat describes the process even though he does the slacking of the belt from underneath as well.
https://youtu.be/HZIFshA5nMg

Post #230786016th Sep 2022 9:47 pm
JerryPS

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3
Great Thanks!

Many thanks for the instructions. Just finished changing it over. The most difficult job was getting the belt on and off... Thanks.

Post #232045829th Dec 2022 4:33 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 8 of 9 <123456789>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >