Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Sticking Turbo (I think)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Landie71

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Well it's been a while, but the turbo's been behaving better recently & only throwing it's teddy out when the tintent is on the back. Having searched a bit more I came across the post from A.J.M at http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic100663.html, in particular the post at the bottom of the first page.
Did it on mine a couple of weeks ago & as the sun was shining this morning, thought it prudent to do it again today.

If anyone's interested I've taken a couple of piccys of the bent coat hanger I made up:

& in use on the offending actuator linkage:

& ready for next time:

& if you really want there's a short clip on youtube of the bent coat hanger in action at:
(BTW the little gold cylinder in my hand is just a torch so the camera pick up the working area.

Hope it helps someone......
Marcus

Post #116441728th Sep 2013 9:20 pm
H16UUP

United Kingdom 

I wonder if 2sO reduces risk of this?

Post #116445729th Sep 2013 12:01 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

No. The part of the turbo mechanism that seizes up is external. It is a combination of moisture from the road, and salt in the winter that causes it to seize. 2SO would make no difference in these cases. Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #116446729th Sep 2013 6:49 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Landie71

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Can't hurt - I've been putting it in every time I've filled up - makes it quieter & run smoother if nothing else. Also worth driving it 'like you stole it' every so often when it's safe to do so - that makes the actuator move over it's full range too.

Edit - good point DM Bow down

Post #116446829th Sep 2013 6:50 am
Disco_Mikey

There is also a PCM software update available. Every time the engine is started, or switched off, the turbo actuator is moved through it's full movement of travel, to further help prevent this problem Thumbs Up

While my own turbo rod was not tight at all, I have updated the software, purely for piece of imind Thumbs Up

And 2SO is never a bad idea
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #116446929th Sep 2013 6:56 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
beanie
Site Sponsor 

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

DM, how is that software patch applied?

I have had the sticky actuator and now and again if driven like its stolen uphill I can get the ESF back on Rolling Eyes
 Altox GSM FBH controller thread

IID Pro MV License - D3, D4 & RRS - Enabling, Updates, D4 & RRS Timed / Remote Climate, D4 Bluetooth fitting
PM me for details

Owner of the original "Beanie" grille
D4 & RRS style D3 grilles made to order

Post #116448329th Sep 2013 8:49 am
Disco_Mikey

Autologic/ F/M MSV2 / LR dealer Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #116451729th Sep 2013 9:50 am
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

beanie wrote:
DM, how is that software patch applied?

I have had the sticky actuator and now and again if driven like its stolen uphill I can get the ESF back on Rolling Eyes

It was introduced as standard for MY06 and most MY05 vehicles would have received it as part of the enhancement programme than ran from late '06.

I have seen a couple of later cars without it as a result of remaps being built from the older software. The reputable guys at the time (eg Turbochips) offered new maps built on the enhance software for existing customers; which was nice for my MY05.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #116452529th Sep 2013 10:02 am
H16UUP

United Kingdom 

Can you see the actuator rod without any stripping down, to see if it's doing this?

Post #116453329th Sep 2013 10:07 am
Disco_Mikey

Robbie wrote:
It was introduced as standard for MY06 and most MY05 vehicles would have received it as part of the enhancement programme than ran from late '06.

The PCM software, as part of the Q034/Q036 enhancement program did not include the turbo actuator update

There was a separate TSB issued, advising of correct turbo diagnosis, and to inform of said software update. If the car has never had a turbo issue, then it will probably be on the older software Thumbs Up

You can see the rod through the N/S/F wheel arch, though you may need to remove the heatshield to see it clearly
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #116454029th Sep 2013 10:19 am
HughMartin

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I had a split turbo feeder hose but didn't get any smoke. I just had indications of an oil leak at the front of the turbo.

LR wouldn't sell me an individual hose and wanted over £90 for a set. I sourced a tractor hose which when cut, provided two identical hoses. The hose I bought is a Vapourmatic part number VPE4154 (£10.36 inc. VAT).

See the link below for a very brief photo montage of changing my hose. Its a fairly fiddly job getting the new hose onto the feeder pipe and onto the turbo as there isn't much room. A bit of washing up liquid helps. If you damage the new hose trying to fit it it doesn't matter too much. As I said above, you get two hoses for the price of one because the tractor hose has the same profile shape at each end so you can trim the other end to get a second go at it

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...cement.pdf

Post #116454229th Sep 2013 10:32 am
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Disco_Mikey wrote:

The PCM software, as part of the Q034/Q036 enhancement program did not include the turbo actuator update

Always happy to be corrected by you Mike!

Thumbs Up

(...but it is listed on my WDS13.6 sheet and pretty sure the vane actuation patch was available as a discretionary patch from as far back as WDS2 onwards; then again, my memory goes dim as I continue the journey to the big light… who even remembers WDS nowadays...)
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #116455629th Sep 2013 10:58 am
Disco_Mikey

Honestly, if I was going to the hassle of swapping that hose, I would go for a set of silicone hoses, and replace all 3 at the same time Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #116455829th Sep 2013 10:58 am
Stay Frosty

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

After my 06 Disco standing for a month without being used it developed an Engine system fault. It had no guts at low revs and was spewing out black smoke when you put it under a bit of pressure.

Today, with help from you guys I have given my actuator arm a good soak in GT85 and wiggled it to within an inch of its life. The result is practically a new car. Thanks for all the knowledge. I have taken a few photos which may help people of my level of knowledge/skill.

Below the near side heat shield can be seen which is accessed from the near side front wheel arch. I put the vehicle in off road height and took the wheel off too to allow more room. There are 3 x 8 mm ( I think) nuts to take off before you can slide the shield out towards the front of the car.

Click image to enlarge

Once removed you will be able to see the top of the actuator arm. It's the spherical object to the left of and about half way up the green thingy in the photo below. This is what needs to be lubricated and pushed towards the driver side and pulled towards the passenger side as in Landie71's very helpful YouTube clip. Thumbs Up

Ok, don't laugh but this was my best effort at an improvised precision lubricant delivery system (IPLDS). If you look closely it might appear to be a bendy straw Sellotaped to the GT 85 straw. Embarassed The IPLDS allows extra reach and direction to target the required area. i.e the hidden bit below the top of the actuator arm.

Click image to enlarge

Once lubed & well and truly penetrated you can commence the pushing & the pulling. As you can see from the photo below my coat hanger was cheaper than Landie's and not fashioned into the hook shape with the same skill and precision. As a result it was adequate for the pulling, but substandard for the pushing. If you look to the bottom of the next photo you might be able to see a yellow plastic peg from a child's tent. I used this for the pushing.

Click image to enlarge

I noticed that due to my own shoddy workmanship it was tricky to get the hook into the required position. If you hold the main length horizontal with the open side of the hook upwards and insert just to the left of the green thingy and below the protruding nut on the top of the turbo, you should be able to push the hook past the left hand side of the actuator arm as you look at it. Once past the arm rotate the hook 1 quarter turn clockwise and pull back towards yourself. Give it a good push & pull and more IPLDS action and the jobs a good'un. (Sorry about the quality of the last photo)

Once the arm is moving like in the YouTube clip put your heat shield back on and enjoy your new car. Very Happy

Post #118662712th Nov 2013 6:52 pm
giacomo.m

Italy 

Hi Landie71

thanks for the great advice and pics of the tool to move the rod turbo
but you could accurately indicate the measurements of the horizontal part of the hook?

Giacomo
 ex Defender 90 300 Tdi -ora Toyota HZJ71  
Post #118697713th Nov 2013 10:21 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >