DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Towing Electric adapter
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Deejay K

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Towing Electric adapter

Hi All,

I have been fortunate to purchase a green 13 pin towing adapter for a CTEK charger and was looking forward to plugging it into the tow electrics to maintain the main battery. Unfortunately I only have 7 pin connectors on the vehicle! Searching the forum it seems that the plug wiring I have is Pin 9 - 12v (+) and Pin 13 - Ground (-).
Can anyone:
a) Confirm this is correct?
b) Confirm pin wiring on a 7 pin plug (white / black)
b) Suggest the best way to connect this to either of the 7 pin sockets that my vehicle has? I have the simple 13 to 7 pin adaptor from Halfords for our Thule bike rack and this doesn't work.
Thanks in advance

Click image to enlarge

Post #236247920th Feb 2024 8:52 am
ronald.soak

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

You need to connect to the white, 7S, socket. I believe the pins are 4 for the +12 and 3 for the 0 volts, negative, ground.
Your options would seem to be either purchase a full 2 * 7 pin plugs to 13 pin socket adaptor, (taking care not to get the wrong one as this description is ambiguous), or attempt to buy or make an adaptor using a 7S plug, which may be coloured grey.
You do not say what your adaptor is designed for. Is it for a Ctex charger?.

John

Edit. If you can disassemble your purchased adaptor the cheapest way will probably be to buy a 7S plug and build your own. Loose plugs usually have screw connections.

Post #236250720th Feb 2024 2:09 pm
Deejay K

Hi John,
Thanks for the info. I found the charger lead info on Greenlandrover.uk and it is as you state, pin 3 negative and pin 4 positive.
I have found a Ring Automotive adapter 13 pin into 2 x 7 pin (part no A0039) but when speaking to their technical advice line, they had no idea if pin 9 (13pin) was connected to pin 4 (12s socket - white 7pin). Obviously I could return an internet order but it’s still a hassle.
The 13 pin socket I have is for a CTEK and was originally purchased from the forum shop I believe but is so well constructed it doesn’t come apart and definitely no visible screws.

Click image to enlarge

Post #236251220th Feb 2024 2:54 pm
Deejay K

I would also add that I did email James at JGS4X4 asking how their aftermarket tow plug lead was wired and he had no idea.

Post #236251420th Feb 2024 2:58 pm
Sylvester19

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

If you've got a multimeter you can check if there's continuity between pin 9 (13p) and 4 (7p) or just power it up and check pins 3 & 4 to see if you've got 12v.

Was after one of these plugs from the shop, alas stopped selling them, could make one if I put my mind to it!

Post #236256521st Feb 2024 12:03 am
HairyFool

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

The Thule adaptor would have no reason to pass through most of the terminals on the white connector as these are for habitation services and wouldn't be needed on a trailer board.

In fact it is reasonable to question a 12N/S plugs to 13pin socket lead as the battery feeds are high current and are sometimes omitted for cost saving. I have such a lead which I took apart and found the battery+ and fridge feeds to be the same cable as all the rest, nothing like what would be needed for its intended use.

There are no screws holding a 13pin plug together on most versions. You have to unscrew the last section which compresses the gland which makes the cable entry watertight. This then allows the next section to unscrew from the main body and allow the pin block to come out of the main shell.
 A visitor from the dark side, my other vehicle is an MG5 EV  
Post #236265422nd Feb 2024 12:33 am
ronald.soak

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Deejay K wrote:
Hi John,
Thanks for the info. I found the charger lead info on Greenlandrover.uk and it is as you state, pin 3 negative and pin 4 positive.
I have found a Ring Automotive adapter 13 pin into 2 x 7 pin (part no A0039) but when speaking to their technical advice line, they had no idea if pin 9 (13pin) was connected to pin 4 (12s socket - white 7pin). Obviously I could return an internet order but it’s still a hassle.
The 13 pin socket I have is for a CTEK and was originally purchased from the forum shop I believe but is so well constructed it doesn’t come apart and definitely no visible screws.

Click image to enlarge

The screws that I was referring to are those that secure the wires to the pins in plugs purchased on there own.

Given the information provided by HairyFool you may be able to make your own adaptor by purchasing a 7S plug and using the Ctek connector and cable from your 13 pin adaptor.

John

Post #236266322nd Feb 2024 2:11 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >