Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Transmission fluid change guide?????
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Nasher

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4
Transmission fluid change guide?????

Is there an accepted definitive guide anywhere to changing the fluid and filter in a D3 Auto box?

I understand about the limited amount of fluid that can be changed with a simple drain and top up, and the principle of ‘double flushing’, but have read two different versions. One where the fluid is topped up after running the engine for a while and changing gears, and one where it is topped up whilst the engine is running, which sounds a bit dodgy to me.

At 95K miles my box is mostly behaving, with just a very small hint of judder very occasionally, but has recently developed a small amount of harsh noise at certain speeds. So I’m looking to change the fluid without the expense of a Megaflush for the time being.

Any posts with images of the filter change and position of the drain and filler holes would be useful before I go crawling around underneath.

I’m looking to do it at the same time as changing the engine oil etc so will have the car raised with all four wheels driven up on sleepers.

Thanks

Nasher.
 Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over.  
Post #70565019th Oct 2010 8:53 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

4 Tech will be down this way end of the month. They get way more fluid changed than a flush.

Contact Gordon and he can do it, only takes 15 minutes.

Post #70566819th Oct 2010 9:17 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I would probably get it flushed to be honest as for a bit more money, you'll get a proper job done Thumbs Up

If you're like me though, you'll want to do it yourself anyway Mr. Green

OK - to drain the oil, you must warm it up a little.....don't drain it after driving home from work or you'll scold your hands - it should be quite warm, but not hot.

With the engine off and the key out, first make sure that you can loosen the fill plug on the right hand side of the gearbox sump - you can't miss it.

Once you know you can definitely unscrew it and it isn't stuck, you can then proceed to drain out the old oil by removing the drain plug - you'll get around 4-5 litres out.

Leave it for a few minutes to drip dry and then put the drain plug back in and remove the filler plug. You can easily refill it with 1 litre bottles of ATF that have a flexible plastic spout - just manouevre the bottle into the gap behind the fuel filter and up the side of the box.....

You should be able to fill it with around 2-3 litres until it starts to dribble out of the filler hole.

You then need to start the engine. I refitted the fill plug for this, but not sure if it's necessary to be honest.

Leave it running in P for a minute and then with your foot on the brake, pass the gear selector lever to "R" for 2-3 seconds, then "N" for 2-3 seconds, then finally to "D" for a few seconds....reverse the process to get back to "P" and then repeat the cycle another time or two.

Then get back under the D3 with the engine still running and in "P" and remove the fill plug if left it. You will then find that you can get a couple more litres of ATF in before it starts dribbling out of the filler hole again.

Don't get worried about having the engine running during this time - if it wasn't, the gearbox wouldn't be receiving any drive, the oil pump wouldn't work and it wouldn't be able to suck up any ATF into the torque convertor and into the mechatronic valve block, thus making room for the extra litre or two that you need to put in.

As I said, it is a very easy thing to do, but if you can take advantage of the mega-flush service I would definitely do it.

If you need any pictures, send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll dig some out for you tomorrow.

Cheers, Thumbs Up
Paul
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #70570419th Oct 2010 10:16 pm
Nasher

Paul

Many thanks for that, it sounds easy, and like you I do prefer to do this sort of thing myself Very Happy
However I have PM’d 4-Tech to see what the cost would be and when he could do it, as a proper flush does sound like a good idea.
Unfortunately the cost may be prohibitive, especially as my MOT is due the end of this month as well Sad

I’ve changed the oil in plenty of manual gearboxes, even in inboard and outboard marine engines, but have never owned an Auto before so I’m going through a bit of a learning curve.

Nasher.
Post #70576020th Oct 2010 8:02 am
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

The trouble with doing it yourself is that it will use lot's of fluid. You can't drain it, so you are basically diluting it until it is cleaner. The good thing about the flush is that it almost changes all the fluid.

Stu did a flush himself, but then got 4 Tech to do his again and the results were much better.

Post #70576820th Oct 2010 8:15 am
xtc

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Hi Andy,
Is 4 tech down on the weekend of 30th / 31st which I'm away for or another time? Mine needs doing quite badly I think, all sorts of clunking & juddering going on...

Cheers, Richard.
 Off Roading is OK.... But I'd rather be Boating!  
Post #70577220th Oct 2010 8:27 am
countrywide

I think that is his plan, if your not taking the D3 I can ask him to come by and do it or meet him with your car.

Post #70577720th Oct 2010 8:38 am
xtc

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Thanks for the offer Andy.. I will need the D3 has have to take a load of kit to Eastnor and van is off the road
at the moment. I'll have to wait until next time...
 Off Roading is OK.... But I'd rather be Boating!  
Post #70580120th Oct 2010 9:27 am
Nasher

Countrywide

Do you have a number for 4-Tech?
Perhaps you could PM it to me.

He's not read my PM yet so thought a call might be better.

Nasher
Post #70603220th Oct 2010 5:16 pm
countrywide

xtc wrote:
Thanks for the offer Andy.. I will need the D3 has have to take a load of kit to Eastnor and van is off the road
at the moment. I'll have to wait until next time...

You can borrow the Qashqai if you like.

Post #70603320th Oct 2010 5:17 pm
bririvers

United Kingdom 

Hi, I know this is an old thread, but if anybody knows how i can contact Geoff [the one who Mega-flushes the auto transmissions] as I thought I would give the old girl a treat [plus been horrified at the stories of not changing the trans oil!! I live in Kent and I understand Geoff lives in Kent, so could work well. Thanks in advance, regards Brian

Post #159946225th Jan 2016 10:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
geoff.

England 

just send me a pm with your details Thumbs Up

Post #159956926th Jan 2016 8:55 am
bririvers

United Kingdom 
auto oil change

Hi Geoff, I have tried private messaging you but maybe without success, could you email me? my email address is [email protected] Many thanks Brian

Post #160111129th Jan 2016 12:53 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
geoff.

England 

Brian

I've got your message ,just a little busy at the moment but will call u later today Thumbs Up

Post #160112429th Jan 2016 6:30 am
geoff.

England 

Brian

tried calling you 3 or 4 times today no joy, unfortunately i don't talk to answer machines bit old fashioned like that i,m afraid

Post #160141629th Jan 2016 7:37 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >