Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Old before my time!!!! Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

How I drove is how I normally drive, sad or what! Sad

Post #22565419th Nov 2007 6:45 pm
JMC

Scotland 

DSL wrote:
How I drove is how I normally drive, sad or what!

I did think about calling you a pussy behind the wheel, but that would have been unfair. Besides, I'm not the best passenger in the world so I certainly wasn't complaining......... Whistle
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #22565719th Nov 2007 6:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
cmyers_uk

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Just did a test driving back from work only on computer screen not real values.

69 miles - Across Salisbury plain and on M4/M5.

Computer shows 37.3 mpg / 39.3 mph / 69. something miles travelled.

Journey took me 12mins longer than normal. Drove very carefully Mr. Green But at no time on the A roads did I go slower than the car in front but I didnt overtake either.

I guess my question is can anybody explain the physics behind how you increase horsepower / torque without increasing the fuel burnt in the LR engine. Its my lack of understanding that make me sceptical.

My point with above is how I drive 30mpg is the norm but this can be increase significantly with a change in driving style or decreased, hills are a killer. So until there is an independent test that demonstrates the x% performance improvement I think Ill still be skeptical and with much better fuel economy but a queue of you all behind me Wink

Post #22568719th Nov 2007 8:18 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

30mpg according to the computer or actual fuel vs distance??? Latter might be a couple of mpg lower than computer. Best mpg I've got (pre TT) was 32.55, that was a long run (500 miles) at 60mph, had similar from my last D3 over same trip at same speed.

Post #22569919th Nov 2007 8:50 pm
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Chipping has made the D3 much better to
to drive Thumbs Up
I just cleaned the air filter after my trip to cape york.
It was fairly dirty (sand from Fraser is and red dust) hopefully this will help with the fuel economy

Post #22571719th Nov 2007 9:28 pm
cmyers_uk

DSL,

29/30mpg actual brim to brim is no problem if I have the car for a full tank. My guage is approx 3mpg over eager. I tend to use command shift rather than leave it in auto all the time where it can be up and down on an A road for no need.

To be honest though I dont drive the car very much because I prefer economy of the Audi the LR's there for towing and carrying loads and off roading it isnt what I would choose to drive daily along A roads in the country as I have to reduce speed to much in the corners.

No 1 thing is your all happy with your tunes no matter who the vendor is and thats great yours will win any mph / acceleration Censored contest but I still maintain my stock LR uses less fuel Smile

Post #22573219th Nov 2007 10:07 pm
JMC

Scotland 

cmyers_uk wrote:
thats great yours will win any mph / acceleration Censored contest but I still maintain my stock LR uses less fuel

Well that's great then Razz

However, I would suggest that a tuned engine working to narrower tolleraces in fuel v's a 'broad-spectrum stock tune' to cater for worldwide variations in fuel quality, has a better chance of working more efficiently and using less fuel for a given performance level.

I wouldn't suggest that a tuned engine given a bit of gusto will use less fuel than a stock engine, but I sure as hell will tell you that it's more fun Razz

Mind you.......I don't while away my days getting my jollies from an excel spreadsheet telling me that I'm getting 0.2mpg more than I did last week. I get a bit more excited about driving and enjoying the experience for what it is. Horses for courses then........... Whistle
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #22576319th Nov 2007 11:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
cmyers_uk

Quote:
I get a bit more excited about driving

Its a lovely comfy arm chair snug and cozy, It does many things well and excels in areas like towing , off road, long distance etc.

One thing it isnt is a drivers car. It weighs too much , the body rolls to much round corners , it takes too long to slow down quickly. If you get excited about driving, drive a sports car Wink

As you say horses for courses, enjoy your chips!

Post #22586020th Nov 2007 11:10 am
White Disco

Australia 

SummerRain wrote:
What is fuel quality like in Oz?

Sad

Euro standard for about 2 years now.
 Did you think I would leave you crying,
When there's room in my D3 for 7,
Climb in here Joe we'll soon be flying,
I can go just as fast with 7.

2005 TDV6 S with Terrain Response (& all that entails), Tasmods (gorn). 2008 TDV6 HSE (gone). A Dark Side umbrella (here) & car (here).

Volkswagen Golf (SWMBO's)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO22SHOMSAH)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO19SHOMSAH)

4 BMW's (Stents, not the silly cars)

Formerly RED DISCO 

Post #22586420th Nov 2007 11:31 am
Shrinky

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

All this talk of 30's + mpg scares the Censored out of me. I'm lucky if I get 24mpg.

Maybe I should think about having mine chipped
 Global Warming.... I'm luvvin it  
Post #22586520th Nov 2007 11:31 am
JMC

Scotland 

cmyers_uk wrote:
If you get excited about driving, drive a sports car. As you say horses for courses, enjoy your chips!

I have several 'sports cars' in my collection which I also enjoy driving, but that doesn't mean that I can't enjoy the D3 which I certainly do. Feel free to have some of my chips.... Wink
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #22586820th Nov 2007 11:42 am
cmyers_uk

Quote:
All this talk of 30's + mpg scares the Censored out of me. I'm lucky if I get 24mpg.

Get it done if you want the performance don't get it done for the improvement in economy consider that a lucky by product because its not guaranteed.

Re 30+mpg it all depends on what driving you are doing if you take my journey last night I travelled 60+ miles and only hit 2 sets of red lights. If your stop / start in town its going to be cr ap.

Then you need to make sure tyre pressures are correct, turn aircon to economy, every electrical device you can stop drawing current all improves matters. Use command shift to change up asap and drive like there is an egg between your foot and the accelerator. Think ahead and dont use the brakes stop for no one Wink Hills are your enemy go downhill only Laughing Carry as much speed as possible through corners every time you brake you are wasting your fuel. Most of all fill up early morning following a cold night you get more fuel for your £1.

JMC - Your right Ive gone mad I think this has become an obsession.

Drive the bloody thing and stop worrying about economy!

Post #22587020th Nov 2007 11:50 am
Oily Hoyles

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

JMC wrote:
cmyers_uk wrote:
If you get excited about driving, drive a sports car. As you say horses for courses, enjoy your chips!

I have several 'sports cars' in my collection which I also enjoy driving, but that doesn't mean that I can't enjoy the D3 which I certainly do. Feel free to have some of my chips.... Wink

I am with you JMC, i drive my D3, and no not a sports car, but it can be pushed on, i have a rally car for ballsout driving but it is only a 1300cc, so is on the limit all the time! Much like the D3 unchipped at the moment waiting for santa! But i can out brake and out drive lot of fast cars and with $h1t drivers and still have a lot of fun Razz Mine you my pads only last 11,000 miles and the tyres take a bit of a pounding. But hey you pays your money and drive it like you stole it! But only on very rural roads, driving a car in a straight line, however fast never does it for me, and fuel 21mpg on a good day Embarassed
 Road Rallying guys keep it up all night!  
Post #22587320th Nov 2007 12:00 pm
JMC

Scotland 

cmyers_uk wrote:
JMC - Your right Ive gone mad I think this has become an obsession. Drive the bloody thing and stop worrying about economy!

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Bow down Bow down Bow down
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #22588220th Nov 2007 12:19 pm
lumbo72

2008 LR3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3
Performance chip

Is there Land Rover Authorized performance chip, or does Land Rover recomend one?
Thanks

Post #22607620th Nov 2007 8:39 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 6 <123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >