Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Type approved NAS spec receiver.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

Just wondering is there any evidence of 'decent' towing devices ever been used as 'escape goats' when it comes to insurance claims. When I say decent I mean things that look like they will do the job. Not something held to the vehicle with binder twine and blue tack.
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #2307824th Dec 2007 9:08 pm
martin4x4

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I wonder if tractor tow bars get type approval!
 Discovery 3 XS Auto, Stornaway, Active rear diff.  
Post #2307844th Dec 2007 9:24 pm
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Good point. My guess is that in an accident - how would it be possible to prove without considerable time and expense that the outcome of the crash wasn't worsened by the use of a non-type approved bar? Common sense would suggest that it probably made no difference, but would an insurer see it that way? Would they use it as an excuse not to pay. If I didn't ensure that my towing device was legal - why should they cover the towed item?

Is there a duty of care of suppliers to notify people that their devices aren't type approved? I'm sure that some suppliers get round this by advertising the 'tow pack' as a 'recovery pack'.

When I notified NFU that I had a tow pack - they never asked if it was type approved. Rolling Eyes Confused Yawn So many questions...

John
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #2307894th Dec 2007 9:49 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

AndrewS wrote:
Just wondering is there any evidence of 'decent' towing devices ever been used as 'escape goats' when it comes to insurance claims.

In a serious injury \ fatal accident ..the devil would be in the detail ...and would be thoroughly investigated ...here's an example:

http://www.lacaconsultants.co.uk/html/case_studies.html
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #2307924th Dec 2007 9:56 pm
martin4x4

DG,

what's not clear here is who involved this company, or when it was. It does not sound as if the police or the insurance company investigated themselves. It also states it was the towing hitch (tow ball?) that was at fault not specifically the tow bar.

Nor if it was type approved?

Just playing devil's advocate here! Whistle

This country (and the EC) are getting to the stage where we have so many rules that it will be almost impossible not to break one and know it. I live in a 20mph zone next to a school, most vehicles pass in excess of 30mph. I've asked the police to do a spot check on the speeds -- do they bu Censored ry! When I am driving I see at least one or two people using mobile phones while driving, every day. As for the standard of driving, and driving dangerously -- goes without saying!

"off my soapbox now"
Post #2308194th Dec 2007 11:02 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

martin4x4 wrote:
DG,

what's not clear here is who involved this company, or when it was. It does not sound as if the police or the insurance company investigated themselves. It also states it was the towing hitch (tow ball?) that was at fault not specifically the tow bar.

Nor if it was type approved?

Just playing devil's advocate here! Whistle

This country (and the EC) are getting to the stage where we have so many rules that it will be almost impossible not to break one and know it. I live in a 20mph zone next to a school, most vehicles pass in excess of 30mph. I've asked the police to do a spot check on the speeds -- do they bu Censored ry! When I am driving I see at least one or two people using mobile phones while driving, every day. As for the standard of driving, and driving dangerously -- goes without saying!

"off my soapbox now"

I asked the police to do something about vehicles speeding through the village where I live. They told me that they could not act until there was a fatality. Rolling Eyes
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #2308264th Dec 2007 11:36 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Who do you think involved the company? ..Who has the most to lose ?? My bet would be on the insurer because they want to find out that it's someone else's fault instead of paying out a squillion of their precious pounds Wink

Peeps can all be in denial ...but when the Censored hit's the fan at that level ....someones to blame and the insurers will want to know who Thumbs Up

I'm not for one minute saying don't use it or don't do it... that is entirely up to you..I won't lose any sleep TBH Very Happy
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #2308274th Dec 2007 11:39 pm
martin4x4

Andrew,

much the same here -- the days of accident prevention are long gone.

DG,

I have no doubt that you are right. This was clearly a case of badly designed, or made, equipment and was responsible for a avoidable death.

The NAS spec adapter with a very well engineered hitch, is on the other hand something I feel safe in using.
Post #2308665th Dec 2007 9:59 am
SPOTTER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

[quote="AndrewS
I asked the police to do something about vehicles speeding through the village where I live. They told me that they could not act until there was a fatality. Rolling Eyes[/quote]

....hmm, that is the response I had after several accidents (the byproducts of which impacted myself and neighbours) outside my house (and I live on a housing estate!!!)
 end of an era ....... maybe a Defender when it appears.......  
Post #2308815th Dec 2007 10:48 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
tatters

United Kingdom 
spotted...

I spotted a '56 reg disco 3 on the A1237 east of York last night, with (I think - it was dark & murky!) one of these recessed tow packs. It was a Stratstone vehicle so presumably if it's of that age it's under warranty & therefore presumably all legal?

Post #2316017th Dec 2007 11:01 am
tatters

United Kingdom 

sorry - and the last line should have read "maybe worth a call to Stratstone"...

Post #2316027th Dec 2007 11:01 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >