Vibration on drivin
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Alexchinchen83

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4
Vibration on drivin

My disco 4 drivin 60 vibrations and shudder but not all times

Post #188293523rd Nov 2017 11:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
rrhool

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

What? Shocked
 Richard

D3 SE 2007. Triumph 2.5Pi 1973. Ferguson TEA20 1948.

Discovery 2 4.0 ES 2001- Gone
Discovery 1 300Tdi ES '95 - Gone
Range Rover Classic '79 - Gone 

Post #188293923rd Nov 2017 11:14 pm
Alexchinchen83

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

When drivin alomg and hit 60mph there is a vibration and shudder there car like havin flat tyre
All tyres good and pressures get same

Post #188294723rd Nov 2017 11:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Fireburst

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

I had something very similar on my recently purchased D4, it was like driving over rumble strips and the whole car vibrated quite violently for a couple of miles and then the vibration stopped and it drove perfectly.

The problem was the EPB, when I stripped the rear brakes I found the offside EPB brake shoe lever was seized solid, new rear discs pads and EPB shoes cured the problem. Quite an easy DIY job.

Hope this helps
Jim

Post #188301924th Nov 2017 11:27 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

First suspect would be binding brake calipers or EPB shoes. After driving check carefully for hot wheels.

Post #188305424th Nov 2017 1:38 pm
Samson66

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

mileage? could be TC mine started about 58mph more RPM prone around 1800-2000RPM put it into manual shift and get it ti sit in vibration zone. Change down a gear and maintain speed if it still exists then not TC, it will be drive train, wheels or brakes. if it disappears then its TC.
 iiD Bluetooth Diagnostic Tool
Cambs GLASS Rep
!970 Petrol 109 "Samson"
1972 Diesel 88 No top half body "rat landy"
1988 110 V8 Defender
1995 300TDI Discovery Auto
1997 Camel Trophy 110 Support Vehicle P232KAC
2001 Freelander GS V6 

Post #188309624th Nov 2017 3:47 pm
development_cycle

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

This might seem ridiculous, but I have had two similar experiences on a Defender, and the D3.

On the Defender it was a tyre, it had developed a small bulge but when inspected it was visible, so you could try that first.

On the Discovery I get this regularly and the cause is the wheel alignment, you know when you get your tyres changed they check for wheel alignment and get the wheel spinning straight with the use of small weights added to the back of the rim (if it's an alloy wheel). I live up a 2.5 mile long forestry track which is made from quarried stone, which constantly has a layer of dust over it, that dust sticks to every single part of the car and over time builds up, often when I jet wash the car it's worse because all the material that is visible loosens and drops, and then rapidly hardens on the less visible parts of the car, the backs of the wheels being just such a place. I have to regularly remove all 4 of my wheels and clean the back of them until all this stuff is removed. The vibrations then go away, well for around 6 months or so, or until I next jetwash the car.

This may or may not be helpful, but both of these are things that you don't need a garage for Smile

Post #18872316th Dec 2017 11:29 am
Richie092

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I just put mine into RCV for exactly these symptoms and they told me my gearbox needs a flush and oil change. Will have to be the start of the new year now but it is quite annoying, only really happens under load like towing or going uphill.

Post #18873326th Dec 2017 5:52 pm
daftlad

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

i had this also a similar issue turned out a small spring to do with the epb shoes that I don't know the name of had broken and one shoe on the near side had started to catch and wear into the hub
new shoes only a year old so suspect crap fitting before I bought it as I have the bill for them
new shoes disk, pads sorted it , by the way the epb locked on eventually and I have to pull the release.

mine only did it after about 10 to 15 mins of driving and only showed for 30 seconds then went

good luck with it bud Thumbs Up

Post #188929012th Dec 2017 8:28 am
Hormic23

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

development_cycle wrote:
This might seem ridiculous, but I have had two similar experiences on a Defender, and the D3.

On the Defender it was a tyre, it had developed a small bulge but when inspected it was visible, so you could try that first.

On the Discovery I get this regularly and the cause is the wheel alignment, you know when you get your tyres changed they check for wheel alignment and get the wheel spinning straight with the use of small weights added to the back of the rim (if it's an alloy wheel). I live up a 2.5 mile long forestry track which is made from quarried stone, which constantly has a layer of dust over it, that dust sticks to every single part of the car and over time builds up, often when I jet wash the car it's worse because all the material that is visible loosens and drops, and then rapidly hardens on the less visible parts of the car, the backs of the wheels being just such a place. I have to regularly remove all 4 of my wheels and clean the back of them until all this stuff is removed. The vibrations then go away, well for around 6 months or so, or until I next jetwash the car.

This may or may not be helpful, but both of these are things that you don't need a garage for Smile

Similar to DC although I had a garage trip to have a 4 wheel alignment and replaced a out of shape tyre (= 2 new ATRs on the rear) and the ride and handling are much improved.
 2007 D3 TDV6 XS - GONE
BAS Remap
EGRs blanked
Adaptive bi-xenons
RLD spare wheel protector 

Post #188939812th Dec 2017 1:42 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >