Warning for Irish Comm. Disco owners - Rack & Aerial iss
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
tanters

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Warning for Irish Comm. Disco owners - Rack & Aerial iss

Evening all

Well where will I start??

I bought a Disco Commercial last year and was experiencing poor radio signals for ages and then on here someone ( Thumbs Up ) told me that the reason was because of the metal plates they put over the window in the conversion process causing interference - made sense I thought so off to the stealers I went....

....the fix was an aerial fitted to the front roof of the disco and when I saw it I thought it wasn't too bad so I went on my merry way.

Then Discowex talked me into buying an expo rack (ahem Rolling Eyes Whistle ) so me being me I went along with it and with the help of many freindly members, I got the Rack from Scotland to Waterford and only got around to fixing it on the car last week.

So when I put it on the roof, the nub of the aerial was just positioned exactly where the rack should have been !!! Evil or Very Mad . As the aerial was a LR fix I went to my stealer to sort the problem. The nub couldnt be moved 'cos it would have left a 22mm hole in the roof and that wasnt desirable so only option was to drill the rack.

So on the pics below you will see that two holes were drilled, one so the rack could sit on the nub and the other so the aerial could still be used.
Click image to enlarge

Its actually a tidy job, the rough bits is just the half tube of mastic they used to fill the hole around the aerial and my attempt to cut it out so I can actually get the rack off again....... Censored idiots just never listen do they!!!!
Click image to enlarge

So the best of it was that when I collected the rack they didn't even bother to fit all the screws in and hold down the rack....cable ties were the order of the day Evil or Very Mad Crazy stuff !!!!
To ,make it worse they decided keep the box I gave them with all the fittings so when I collected the car at 5:30 , everyone in the garage was gone and I had to get more of my own ties to hold down the rack to get it home !!!!

Needless to say I rang this morning to vent my annoyance and all I got was a promise to find my nuts...and screws. although I had a promise of a return call all I got was a man in a van with my box of fittings

I could have put this thread under the dealership feedback section but just so no other commercial owners get stuck with the aerial mod/ rack issue I thought it best to put in here.

Mad eh!

Post #32052810th Jul 2008 7:42 pm
xtc

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

I'm glad your not transmitting up that aerial! Shocked
 Off Roading is OK.... But I'd rather be Boating!  
Post #32055910th Jul 2008 8:44 pm
disco rock

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

i had my D3 in to fix the poor reception and what they did was install another antenna on the rear left glass, just like the one on the drivers side, i had told them that i DID NOT want an external antenna.

Post #32071111th Jul 2008 1:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
tanters

disco rock wrote:
i had my D3 in to fix the poor reception and what they did was install another antenna on the rear left glass, just like the one on the drivers side, i had told them that i DID NOT want an external antenna.

With the plates on both windows I didn't think that was an option - wasn't given that option by the stealer anyway!

They told me I could get it on top at the back where the blanking plate is for the fin but when I collected it, it was plonked at the front...... didnt look too poor to be honest.

I really feel that for any future work I'll have to take the day off and sit in the car whilst they are working on it so I can keep an eye on them!!!!!!

Someone once said to me that when someone responds to your request with 'yeah, no problem' it means they haven't been listening to you at all Rolling Eyes SOOOO true

Post #32072011th Jul 2008 1:52 pm
disco rock

when i asked how they took off the side plate the mechanic in my local told me that two of the were pulling at it trying to get it off with all the mastic thats there to hold them on, but i know what you mean when sitting in the car while they do stuff

Post #32072311th Jul 2008 2:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
tanters

There is so much mastic on those Censored thats why I didn't remove the back plates. Took the ones off the second row windows as once I re connected the power it was easy to remove the plates 'cos I could get at them from both sides, inside & out.

By The way, Welcome on board Thumbs Up

We have an outing Sunday week if you're interested. Check out the events section. Good craic will be had by all Very Happy

Post #32072611th Jul 2008 2:10 pm
disco rock

cheers

are the centre one rivetted on, did you take them off for visibility purposes

PM sent

Post #32072911th Jul 2008 2:19 pm
tanters

No rivets in mine just tonnes of mastic

Some of the lads did have rivets tho, bit mess I believe.

Done for visability alright, have to scrape off paint on windows and get them tinted...........

......always something to be done Rolling Eyes

Post #32073211th Jul 2008 2:34 pm
disco rock

do you konw if there are any pics from any of the lads that have had it done,

Post #32073511th Jul 2008 2:37 pm
tanters

There should be alright

I'll check later ....... very busy at the moment .....ahem Whistle

Post #32073811th Jul 2008 2:45 pm
threefive

Ireland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Dealer removed metal plates from mine at first service. No problems since. Didn't want any additional oles.
 '05 Silver Commercial S+ gone but never forgotten
'08 Black XS
iid BT 

Post #32074811th Jul 2008 3:18 pm
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Discorock , plenty have done it but didnt pic the removal process.Have a natter with BarryG , Limerick based also.He's done it.

welcome to the site also.

Post #32075211th Jul 2008 3:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >