DISCO3.CO.UK > Webasto Fuel Burning Heater

Webasto TT V shutting down every time after start up
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
FriscoDisco

Belgium 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Webasto TT V shutting down every time after start up

Hello Everybody,

I am a new member on this forum... and i drive a Disco3.

I have a question for the FBH on my disco.
These days when its cold and the fbh starts up, after 2 min. it shuts down again.
When i restart the disco again it starts up, and again after 2 min shuts down...
The fault code the fbh gives me is B1D29
After starting it up a couple of times, the fbh goes into limp mode and gives also faultcode B1D34
When i erase the faultcodes, he starts up again and after 2 min shuts down again...

Can anybody help me where i have to look for or what to do?

thx

Post #220951410th Feb 2021 6:27 pm
sputnixb51

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

One of mine has just started doing this, it’s too cold to investigate it properly at the moment, however I suspect the water pump isn’t circulating and the shut down is the water temp getting too high. I will watch this space and also give feedback once I have chance to fault find and sort. Good luck in the meantime.

Post #220952810th Feb 2021 6:56 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Re: Webasto TT V shutting down every time after start up

FriscoDisco wrote:

After starting it up a couple of times, the fbh goes into limp mode

It does not start with this behaviour... it is only in a preliminary stage, (and then the fan blows) checking all its components, and if right, it starts the fuel pump and it will start....

If one of the components or signals (like enough fuel in the tank) is wrong it does not start up

Restarting again and again does make things worse and it goes on lock mode... to protect you and your motor....

Erasing codes is not repairing it.... there seems i common idea, that erasing codes is solving things, it is not...

So repair it.... or let it repair by a webasto workshop if you can not do it yourself...

Main reasons: fuel to low... air in fuel line, glow plug worn, nozzle broken/wear, fuel pump faulty or connections to it..
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #220957910th Feb 2021 10:45 pm
FriscoDisco

Webasto Fuel Burning Heater

Good morning everyone,

This week the Disco has some strange behaviour on the fbh after my post on this forum...
All week temperatures here where like max. 0°C , at nicht often -10°C
So every time i started the D3, the FHB starts up and quits working after approx 2 min. ...
When i did drive the D3 for about 30 min, so the engine was heated up some more, and i park the car for some time, like 15min., after i restarted the D3 again, the FHB works normal!???
When i leave the car to long, so the engine cools off longer, the FHB again started up for 2 min, and quits again.
So i took i for a drive, and when he was warmed up, i did some full kick downs from 30km/h till 70km/h.
When i did that, i heard a squirping sound coming from behind the dash/engine compartment... every time i pulled up... never heard that sound before.
After that the Webasto started working normal... ALL THE TIME!!!
Yesterday morning -8°C, started the D3 for warming up 10 min and de-icing and when i came into the D3, the FHB was working normal!!! Bow down
On the evening same story.... D3 was parked for 10h, so was totally frosty bij -9°C, started him up, and FHB works normal!???

Anyone has an explanation for this?

Cheers

Post #221027413th Feb 2021 9:25 am
Motolab

Yup.... your glow plug in the FBH is end of life...

same as in your diesel car engine... when the glowplugs are busted or becomming bad... it is difficult to start it when cold...

diesel needs a lot of heat to ignite

for some reason people always think that FBH do not need mainentance and new wear parts... but as with every engine, they need new glowplugs after they have done their mileage...

after 15 years or more that is quite logic the case..
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #221028713th Feb 2021 10:16 am
FriscoDisco

@Motolab

I agree when you say that the glowplug needs to be changed when the FHB not starts up normal after 10j.
But how you explain that from yesterday, even when the car is ice cold in the morning, the FHB works normal again after first cold start up..?

Post #221029513th Feb 2021 10:28 am
Motolab

luck.....

but not everything can be explained in every detail... because it is quite often a combination...

a glow plug on its return is not as powerfull as when new.... so maybe for once the circumstances were ideal (it burned very clean in the last drive) to work just enough to start up once..

i worked with parking heaters for more than 15 years...
repaired them, installed them,sold them (hundereds, maybe more... )

the wearingparts are the glowplugs and nozzle's... (so burner replacement needed)

temp sensors almost never (only when people fiddeled with the cable/sensors , when cleaning het units, the cables break internally then)
 Best regards
Harold

Post #221031013th Feb 2021 11:08 am
FriscoDisco

Good morning,

FHB still is working normal.... very strange... Rolling Eyes
Maybe there was some air in the fuel line of the webasto.

I want to service and clean the FHB, so its working properly again..

Do i need to chance the burner unit with glow plug?
Is there a good service set i can buy somewhere?

Post #221053214th Feb 2021 8:39 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >