Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Which Roof Rails/Track are the best? FR,LR or Rhino
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
PierreJ

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Which Roof Rails/Track are the best? FR,LR or Rhino

Is the jury still out on which rails are the best. I am in the process of getting some fitted, and have three options, namely:

1. LR - Looks tidy, but expensive.
2. FR - Strong, but have seen pics and it looks unfinished at the front and rear(Perhaps it needed end caps)
3. Rhino - almost level with roof.

I will need it for the FR roofrack, and for Rhino crossbars, for what it's worth.

Any suggestions and pics would be appreciated. I would also like a picture of how the Front Runner roofrack i fitted to the front of the vehicle.

Thanks
 Why is the fear of long words called hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia?  
Post #24898922nd Jan 2008 10:02 am
mobyone

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Rhino Racks

Hi Pierre,

I fitted the Rhino tracks & bars and am happy with these. (pics in my gallery). Only drawback is that because they taper towards the back you are unable to slide the bars along the length of track to adjust the location of the bar. The front bars are slightly longer than the rears and they only move about 200mm from their main position when inserted in the track.
I'm not sure if the LR tracks are better (staighter?) but this is the only drawback. And yes they do sit closer to the roof line and are cheaper! Thumbs Up ...

Cheers
Moby
 What's the point.... it all comes out in the wash anyway!

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II
05 D3 V6SE, Bonatti Grey, 19"alloys 

Post #24903422nd Jan 2008 12:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Are the Rhino track available in the uk ? and by who ?

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #24908622nd Jan 2008 2:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I have Rhino ones, just as good and much cheaper than OEMs. Very Happy
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #24943722nd Jan 2008 11:50 pm
will

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

I have just had the Rhino tracks and new Rhino Platform Rack fitted and am very pleased with the result. At this stage there seem to be no wind noise at speeds up to the 90km mark. Will give it a thorough testing this weekend.
 Kaymar rear bar and tyre carrier; Safari Snorkel: ARB under-bonnet compressor; LRA fuel tank; Winch, bullbar; Cibie Super Oscars; Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Reversing camera; Traxide auxiliary battery system, 17" rims - Cooper ST.  
Post #24953823rd Jan 2008 11:02 am
eran48

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hello Will,

Did you install the Rhino gear yourself?

I just picked up a full set of Rhino gear - Roof rails, three bars and the Platform rack, yesterday.

Today was the first day of installing all the accessories (picked up the car yesterday too Very Happy ).

I had not managed to remove the rubber trim covering the gutter. It is held in by these plastic push pin thingies and they are a b Censored ger to remove. I ended up bending the rear trim up and now it would not sit flat. Fortunately, the rear part of the trim is to be cut and discarded anyway.

I'm a bit worried I might destroy the front bit of the trim - this part is needed to go back in the gutter. Any advice on how to remove the rubber trim without destroying it?

For those who are still wondering about the Rhino gear, here are my 2 cents worth:

I had a really close look at all the bits and pieces last night and I have to say that all is up to the high Rhino standard. The roof rails are very low profile and very nicely made. They don't look like they can hold the rated 75kg but they ARE bolted in in a three places per side plus there is the option of adding additional rivets. The rails are very nicely finished off with tapered end caps on both ends.

The front rails are just shorter versions of the full length rear rails (about 1 foot long) and are permanently bolted in also. This is where the low profile really helps - I would not like two ugly bulges on the front roof of the vehicle.

The bars and rack are the usual Rhino over-engineered items and have been around for many years - well proven stuff.

For DIY'ers, all the parts come with quite comprehensive instructions - easy to follow - This morning, I managed to put together the platform rack while baby sitting my three boys Shocked . The only black mark for the instructions is that they don't tell you how to remove that *&^% rubber trim Rolling Eyes

Cheers

Post #25125226th Jan 2008 11:16 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Shiny, may be worth gettting in touch with these guys? http://www.rhinoroofracks.com/?gclid=CP6d8rSYlZECFQKVMAoduRJmBw
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #25148927th Jan 2008 1:51 am
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Devon 4 X 4 have em on their website methinks.

Post #25149127th Jan 2008 2:02 am
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Cheers - found them now Very Happy

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #25151327th Jan 2008 9:29 am
PierreJ

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks for all the responses. I also prefer the Rhino rails, but need to fit a Frontrunner roofrack to it. I believe the Rhino looks better, although general consensus in other threads, prefer Frontrunner, because they have a better load rating.

The Rhino load bars and roof racks, give a good alternative, but I need a permanent fixture, to hang spots and antennae from.

I believe the Rhino rails taper to the rear. Will this affect the fitting of a Frontrunner roof rack.

Any opinions?
 Why is the fear of long words called hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia?  
Post #25158327th Jan 2008 12:55 pm
will

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Hi Eran48,

I took the easy way out and had TJM fit the system for me and must say they did an excellent job. I have the 2 metre Platform fitted and headed off yesterday on a 200km trip, all of it on the M1 at speeds of 100 to 115km/h. No noise was noticeable at all.

Came home, took off the platform (took about 5 minutes), inserted the rubber strips back into the top of the Sports Bars and headed off again for another quick sprint up the highway. No noise to be heard. By the way I sprayed the rubber strips with a little Silicone spray before pulling them through the narrow strip. As easy as!

Having had standard roof racks on all of my other 4x4's in the past, I can only say how pleased I am with this system. It is as strong as any I have used before, very light weight and so east to get things up onto it and off again. Have fitted the shovel holder brackets and things look great.

Hopefully the system will also provide a little relief when it comes to wind resistance and fuel consumption.
Have fun fitting yours.
 Kaymar rear bar and tyre carrier; Safari Snorkel: ARB under-bonnet compressor; LRA fuel tank; Winch, bullbar; Cibie Super Oscars; Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Reversing camera; Traxide auxiliary battery system, 17" rims - Cooper ST.  
Post #25180027th Jan 2008 10:17 pm
DavidK

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Hi Pierre,

interested...did you end up going with the Rhino rails and did the Front runner rack fit them ok?

regards,
David
 MY05 TDV6 S - manual, King springs lift, General Grabber AT  
Post #30142721st May 2008 12:36 pm
discomaniac

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

I've had the Rhino Rails and Cross bars for about 6 months now. Look good and are quiet. Had my local ARB dealer fit them, no problems.
 Discomaniac

D4 SDV6 HSE MY11 Fuji White 

Post #30146821st May 2008 2:30 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >