Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Xonrich android headunit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 5 <12345
jenseneverest

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

John R Hickman wrote:
Are there any customs duty or vat due on these coming from France or does Alliexpress collect it at point of sale?

Since we left the EU smaller purchases attract VAT paid at source....i think it is only on purchase's under 100 pound...
IE i just paid £3,50 tax on a DAB dongle for this, still comes to less than 20 quid, the same units on amazon are £27.50

Post #23522625th Nov 2023 11:39 am
jenseneverest

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Received my unit last week, no issue with duty.
As my motor didn't have a gps fitted you have to cut a large hole in your dash to accommodate the new bits. Running the wires down the passenger side "A" pillar is easier than the drivers side.
I bought a DAB dongle which is useless for signal unless your stationary - so that will be binned unless i can find a better aerial for it.
the 4x4 info screen dose work, it also shows doors open, all be it the left door is shown as open when it is actually the right - Rolling Eyes I have found a can bus file that i may be able to edit to correct that. I am also going to have a go a changing the android boot logo to a landie one.
The other issue im getting is the factory landie radio keeps going into low power mode, it would appear the disco is not happy with the extra power the new unit is drawing. So will need to think about how to fix that issue.

Dose anyone know what wires are used for the factory AUX input ? I would like to hard wire into those rather than use the AUX plug at the rare of the centre console

Post #235349819th Nov 2023 12:35 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Aux On the smaller connector is a red and blue wire and ground is the braid screen.
Plenty of threads on here about that

Post #235350419th Nov 2023 1:33 pm
Sidestick

Italy 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

From memory the "low power mode" is always active when the engine is not running limiting the volume knob to 20 Idea

Check it out with engine running Thumbs Up
 - Easy-Lift suspension module 4.0
- GoodWinch 9500 lb
- Full underbody protections
- Tree/Rock sidebars
- Prospeed roofrack & ladder
- Compressor guard
- Raised Air Intake
- Driving lights (2+4)
- 50 mm Waffle boards
- Altox Heater control
- Overland Rooftop Tent
- Rear seats entertainment
- Front & Rear camera
- GVIF
- Removable tow bar
- Cubby box fridge
- BFG KO2 265/65R17
- iidTool BT 

Post #235409026th Nov 2023 3:45 pm
Overdrive

Spain 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 3

My Discovery 3 is a DE it has not a screen. Do you think we have the CAN bus ready to be connected? Or did they install that cabling only if you have the screen?

Post #235457630th Nov 2023 11:45 pm
jenseneverest

The canbus plugs into your current radio and will remain there (mine dose not have the gps screen either)
The new unit picks up canbus from your old radio via a splitter into the radio wiring loom, not directly to the canbus loom. TBH the info it shows from canbus is rather underwhelming anyways.
Be prepared to cut a hole in your dashboard to accept the new screen.

Post #23546021st Dec 2023 12:38 pm
Overdrive

Spain 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 3

I replaced the original radio some years ago. I am not sure if it is better to upgrade the radio to an Android one, rather than open holes....

Post #23546341st Dec 2023 5:00 pm
sailingaway

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

jenseneverest wrote:
The canbus plugs into your current radio and will remain there (mine dose not have the gps screen either)
The new unit picks up canbus from your old radio via a splitter into the radio wiring loom, not directly to the canbus loom. TBH the info it shows from canbus is rather underwhelming anyways.
Be prepared to cut a hole in your dashboard to accept the new screen.

Other than cutting the cubby hole, was there any wiring etc to do, or does the wiring harness connect straight in to the existing?

I'm looking at adding one of these to my base spec D3 (to replace an aging/intermittent parrot hands free) and trying to get a handle on how much modification is required.

I have retrofit steering wheel controls, and the volume control works ok on Aux, do you know if this unit picks up the skip controls too?

TIA

Post #235631719th Dec 2023 12:56 pm
jenseneverest

Yes skip works from steering wheel
wiring is plug and play (unless you want to tap into the AUX input elsewhere yourself)

Had this fitted a while now, on the whole i am mostly happy with it, but it dose have some annoyances:

Volume for media is reset to half when you key on/off - i want it full all the time, it wont stick there.
The wrong "door open" is reported for left right front doors
I cant adjust the display brightness as low as i would like it - it is distracting at night - but can be turned completely off
Having to use my mobile as a hotspot is a pain - but there is an option to get a Sim card for the unit itself
spent ages messing about with the sound settings, still too much bass / treble for me.
Overall it just feels a bit cheap - which it is lol.

Post #235633219th Dec 2023 4:02 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >