Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

2.5K Miles France and back
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
JMC

Scotland 

TazDaz wrote:
OK JMC ... I'll agree Bow down (having checked in Wikipedia) the highest paved road in the Alps seems to be on the way to Cime de la Bonette (2860m)

Mr. Green Thumbs Up

The road between Barcelonette and Nice on the 'Route Napoleon' includes the Col de la Bonette which is the highest in Europe.

The road itself goes to 2802m though it used to be lower!.... The Italians didn't like to be beaten and claimed the the road at the Stelvio Pass was highest. Not to be outdone, the French added an extra bit to Bonette called the 'Cime de la Bonette' (which means 'Chimney'). Essentially, they made an extra bit of road which is like a helter-skelter from one side of the 'Col' at the top round the peaked bit and back to the Col again. Here you can see the Col (circled) with the arrow pointing to the Cime road extension. 8)

We all have our idiosyncrasies....... For me, it's Audi quattros and Alpine Passes. Looking forward to the day when I put the two together. Whistle
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #50933819th Aug 2009 4:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
David-H.

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Guys.

France is obviously a popular destination for us D3 owners. We leave on Saturday, driving down to Hull to get the ferry to Zeebrugge. Then South into France for nearly three weeks. We plan to camp for most of the trip though we haven't decided exactly where we're going. Thought we'd head down the coast to Brittany for the first week then just take it from there. We're currently working from the 'Cool Camping - France' book.

if anyone has any recommendations for places to visit/stay we'd be glad to have them.

Oh, and which wine warehouse should we stop off at on the way home to stock up on some essentials?

Cheers.
 2014 Defender 90.
Suzuki Jimny - lifted 2".
SWMBO's BMW Mini JCW.

Member of The Scottish Off Road Club. 

Post #50935719th Aug 2009 5:20 pm
TazDaz

United Kingdom 

David - if you have time check out www.thecampingmap.com for camp sites

Places to see (with kids I presume?) you need a whole day at each!

Parc du Futuroscope http://uk.futuroscope.com/ (between Poitiers and Châtellerault)

Puy Du Fou http://www.puydufou.com/uk (Heading south west on the A87 autoroute take exit 28 for Les Herbiers)

Something different ... How about a crocodile farm? http://eng.lafermeauxcrocodiles.com/ (Located in the Rhône valley the farm is only 1h30 away from Lyon. Exit Montélimar sud or Bollene on the A7 motorway)

Theres a ton of other places to visit in France

Wine warehouse? if you're returning via Calais I'd suggest Wine World / Majestic http://www.majesticinfrance.co.uk/About/Stores/Calais
Thumbs Up

Post #50948619th Aug 2009 10:17 pm
tanters

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Sustenpas, Switzerland

Click image to enlarge

3,100kms roundtrip last few weeks.

Split my A bar on a rock in a car park that wasnt in any of the guide books Rolling Eyes but apart from that all went very well. 28mpg overall so fairly pleased with that.

Loads of discos en route and in Switzerland but only ever got a wave off defender drivers Laughing

A great car for touring Thumbs Up
 A happy childhood ... is the worst possible preparation for life. 

Last edited by tanters on 20th Aug 2009 2:19 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #50949519th Aug 2009 10:36 pm
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I am a Fan of the Yelloh sites in France and Spain, we have only used half a dozen, but they have always been very good and reasonably priced.

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #50949719th Aug 2009 10:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SN

TazDaz wrote:

Parc du Futuroscope http://uk.futuroscope.com/ (between Poitiers and Châtellerault)

Have to disagree with that one - complete rubbish for kids - and they don't like the English at all - well that was a few years ago - hope its improved Neutral
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #50951019th Aug 2009 11:41 pm
David-H.

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Guys.

Thanks for the tips. We're a kid free couple so only need to find things to entertain us.

I'm just off to start packing the car before heading out to enjoy a few beers and catch a show in the Edinburgh Fringe. We've got a fairly early start tomorrow so I'll need to have my sensible drinking head on Whistle .

Cheers.
 2014 Defender 90.
Suzuki Jimny - lifted 2".
SWMBO's BMW Mini JCW.

Member of The Scottish Off Road Club. 

Post #51015121st Aug 2009 12:07 pm
tanters

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

David

If going to Brittany make sure you call in to Mont St Michel, fantastic place.

Best campsite we used in Brittany was in Quimper - http://etudiants.lanniron.com/
Really nice, nice bar, Wi-fi and a 9hole par 3 golf course.

Good luck and enjoy Thumbs Up
 A happy childhood ... is the worst possible preparation for life.  
Post #51016221st Aug 2009 12:35 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Some nice holiday snaps in this thread, suitable for the calendar perhaps? Whistle

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic33762.html
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #51016521st Aug 2009 12:40 pm
nealgs

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Got back this morning (appx 04:30) from Southern France (Argeles Sur-Mer) after setting off at 08:15 Friday morning. Drove a total of around 2300 miles without any major incidents.

Only hiccups were
1. fuel cap failing to unlock, could not get it open once at pump, had to use some persuasion to get it open, so now need to replace locking part (plastic snapped)
2. Satnav backup disk failing just before our turning to take us to Millau, MAP read error, disk not a map dvd etc - so we had to resort to MUMNav(tm) (wife using AA road map book instead Smile ) to guide us. Tried ejecting disk, but it wouldn't have it. Satnav eventually reported overheating error. We managed to eject disk at another stop, and put in the old 2005 disk we had which worked fine without problems Smile

Excellent car, MPG was around 28 or so (showed 32.7MPG on computer), 2 adults, 2 kids, v. large roof box, and loads in boot.

This was my first ever driving experience abroad, gotta say, french roads are excellent, even when having to pay to use them (went via toll roads), didn't take me long to get used to driving on the other side either Shocked

Gary
 Gone: Java Black TDV6, Auto, HSE - yum, yum Smile
(Gone: 96' V8 ES Charleston Green, 96 V8 ES Black)
Toy: Southern Roadcraft Cobra, 383ci Chevy V8

Club - HiVis Smile
Club - Disco3.co.uk Round Stickers
Club - Disco3.co.uk External Badge 

Post #51060422nd Aug 2009 11:52 pm
shar

England 

Just got back from northern spain stayed at camping L'amfora st pere pescadore, the D3 is an excellent tow car and pulled our twin axle van effortlessly 8)

Click image to enlarge

Post #51147425th Aug 2009 7:45 pm
SN

shar - yours can join the set of good seaside shots in Northern Spain Thumbs Up
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #51150925th Aug 2009 8:46 pm
shar

England 

Cool, where were you staying Question We saw loads of D3s but only a couuple of english plates , they were going to fast for me to see if they had D3 stickers on them Laughing

Post #51151725th Aug 2009 8:51 pm
mick

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Just back from Lake Garda Italy via North sea ferries 1500 miles no problems with D3 Mr. Green only problem was the outlaws Volvo XC70 over heating on every Censored hill . Filled up in Luxembourg 56 euros Shocked lucky lot.

Post #51155925th Aug 2009 9:49 pm
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

[quote="shar"]Just got back from northern spain stayed at camping L'amfora st pere pescadore, the D3 is an excellent tow car and pulled our twin axle van effortlessly 8)

clean car considering you have driven all that way Whistle - very nice Thumbs Up

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #51159125th Aug 2009 10:59 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >