Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

2016 LR4 misfire after timing chain
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Sut123

United States 
2016 LR4 misfire after timing chain

Hello all! I recently had the bright idea to buy a ‘16 LR4 HSE as I am tired of 1000 dollar car payment thinking a new timing chain and good for awhile lol! Oops! I love the looks and feel of the car but man what a mess of a car. It has 100k on it and bought it knowing it would need a timing chain. I’m handy with with a wrench and have built cars since and kid so I bought a timing chain set and all the necessary alignment tools to do the job. Swapped the chains and verified alignment and everything looked great and I was confident is so second guessed and checked a hand full of times timing was set right. With the cams and crank locked in place and equal slack on the chain and torqued phasers I put her back together and ran like crap. Compression test shows 170 across all cylinders, no leak down test but 170
felt right. Scan tool showed a dead O2 on the drivers side so swapped it and it def helped as ltft’s fuel trims came back to 20 instead of 58 on both banks. Drivers plugs were wet as to be expected by the o2 sensor failure. Even after all that still getting a p0019, 0034, 35, and 36 codes. It drives and actually sounds good when cold with a slight miss. I drive it around for 10-15 min the other day and check engine light was on but not flashing and I was thinking there was hope then boom! Flashing light and engine sounded like a diesel. It even flashed the dash lights and the car freaked out. All the modules flashed up errors and half a second the dash died. Obviously an electrical issue now. Looking to see if anyone has had these issues and what did they find. Any suggestions are welcomed! Thanks!

Post #236731523rd Apr 2024 2:35 pm
Sut123

United States 

It’s also worth mentioning that I did a smoke test on the intake and the exhaust to verify leaks and everything is sealed tight. No leaks. Thanks again!

Post #236734223rd Apr 2024 6:57 pm
Sut123

United States 

Hello, all! I bit the bullet over the weekend and decided to pull the heads to check the valves and sure enough had bent intake valves. It was actually the valve stem that was bent and I theorize that they would open and close well enough when cold showing good compression but when it heats and expands they would start to hang up causing misfire issues. Only explanation as to why it would show good compression when cold, run well when cold, then run like crap when it got to op temperature and then run well again when I’d let it cool back down. They were right to pull by hand but not impossible. Now I need to decide used heads or rebuild mine….all the machine shops are backed up in my area and used cylinder heads cost as much as a top fuel dragster lol. There a a mountain of right cylinder heads for sale but very few left so I’m picking up on a common theme. The heads that I have found have come off overheated engines which makes me nervous. If anyone has a lead on a set of heads or a left head ready to slap on let me know!

Post #236773729th Apr 2024 2:08 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >