Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Adjustable Height Sensor Rods
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
daveyb

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

Tami,

The max size seems to be 285/65/18?? Just over 32". After driving a stock vehicle this week, my ride is moderately more firm. This certainly can be attributed to different tires as well. It is nice to look down on most traffic though Thumbs Up
 2006 D3 Tonga Green
275/65/18 GY DuraTracs - ARB w/ EP9.0 - Sasquatch Rods 

Post #4337045th Mar 2009 10:54 pm
daveyb

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

I believe Martin and myself have worked out a friendly deal for me to post information about the Adjustable Rods here. Thumbs Up If anyone is interested, or has additional questions, we've got the green light to proceed via PM for ordering information. A big Thank You gentlemen (and Ladies)!

Cheers,

Dave
 2006 D3 Tonga Green
275/65/18 GY DuraTracs - ARB w/ EP9.0 - Sasquatch Rods 

Post #4337716th Mar 2009 2:48 am
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Congrats on your recent deal with Martin Daveyb, normally obviously commercial posts like yours just get deleted !

I wish you all the best, looks like a nicely engineered bit of kit.

However if i might offer a suggestion and some thinking mans food for thought
Having calibrated the height sensors on a few Disco 3's now, i am, more than most, acutely ware that the height calibration is quite exacting.
When properly calibrated, anyone can hopefully appreciate that the vehicles weight is then distributed evenly between the four wheels properly as designed by LR. When initially replacing the sensor link rods for your adjustable version, i do not currently see (and please correct me if i am wrong) any way to ensure that the original height calibration would still be valid at least to the original exacting standard. If even one wheel is higher than it should be, the weight load of the vehicle will be lighter on 2 corners, which might, for example have dire consequences in heavy or high speed braking situations.

Please appreciate i do not want to rain on any parade, be the devils advocate or stiffle such innovation. And perhaps given what we do, my comments might always seem wrongly placed. However i appreciate more than most its brilliance and need, but please everyone, just bear in mind for a second, the sad case of the poor bloke who just got jailed for modifying his suspension on his Defender, which, as far as the police are concerned, ultimately resulted in four of his own children being killed and the off road community being slated as irresponsible.

Is there a way that after fitting your modified sensor link rod items that the original calibration is guaranteed maintained, or at least check able, before anyone ventures back onto tarmac, potentially at speed, and then a way to ensure that after being adjusted for modified use it can be returned to known guaranteed calibrated lengths and thus maintaining the weight distribution back to legally upstanding degrees.

Like i said, i don't like / want to be seen as poo pooing such a great and innovative product at all. I am an inventor / innovator too.
Perhaps if people measuring the exact arch heights before / after might suffice, and you just need to stress that requirement and cover yourself legally in the paperwork.

Anyway, best of luck mate, i think its a great bit of kit and if you think i might be able to help in any way, please don't hesitate to ask or chat with me on it.

warmest regards

Post #4345397th Mar 2009 8:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

BBS spy, all that is required is to ensure that all the rods are the same length to ensure the calibration remains even.
The calibration will be out so that is why a new wheel alignment is suggested, if they are made too short the sensor goes out of range and you get suspension fault message.
There are a lot of folk who have shortened the original rods and have had no issues, it still handles better than a Tojo in the raised height. Laughing
Whether it is legal depends on the laws where you live. In NSW a 50mm lift is allowed before an engineers cert is required.
daveyb only makes these things, I am sure there is some advantage to the site that Martin has gained.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #4346507th Mar 2009 10:48 pm
Neil Pettersen

Sour grapes .....

Hi Andrew,

BBS Spy really has the hump with this product
and its availability around the traps .....
It's something we can do ourself, that happens
to be available from another source.

I think he's missing the point for us over here and the States.

I'd rather BBS Spy told us about "plug and play" software
product for height control overide, from his own stable
of creations.

Cheers,

Neil.

PS. As for the Def/deaths case ......... no comparison Rolling Eyes

PPS. I don't PM this, because this forum can
get too covert for it's own good quite often
vs. axe to grind.

Post #4346797th Mar 2009 11:14 pm
Roel

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

I think Colin made some good remarks. Specially at the point were the seller of a product should cover his/her ass. I think in the States you could be sued for everything.

Like with everything most people use a cupholder for hot coffee but a few put it between their legs and then sue the seller that the coffee was to hot when spilling some over the legs.

When I saw these adjustable rods I thought I want them but currently I am rethinking it maybe I want to get an electronic solution. That's why I didn't order them yet.
 Roel

1997 Camel Trophy Disco ex-P101JWK (traded it for a Britains 42101)
1984 90 TD5
2005 G4 Disco 3 BN55WPT

Also member of club MTR
and Club Faultmate

Interested in my 4x4 history see my website: www.mudmachine.webklik.nl
Sorry it's in Dutch and with google translator it gets funny. 

Post #4347328th Mar 2009 2:30 am
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Nope sorry,
I really don't have any hump or axe to grind at all, and stated that i was sorry to be the one being the devils advocate, and pre guessed such an opinion of my comment and points.

However please feel free to have your own opinion on my input, and ignore my helpful ideas and offer to help as you wish. I have had some more ideas as to how.

I merely gave some food for thought and my comments were general and not per country.

please feel free to call my reasoning for pointing this out sour grapes or whatever you wish, please feel free to bury your head in the sand and argue of legislation differences in different countries.

However no matter, the plain fact remains true, if you mess with the link rods, the existing and exacting height calibration will be lost.
In many countries, following any accident, discovery of such items / modifications on the vehicle will at the very least invalidate ones insurance completely and may render the owner / modifier legally liable, as has just happened with Nigel Gresham in the UK.

Hell a bald brake pedal rubber is enough for most insurers to walk away, imagine their delight spotting bright orange and silver bits on the suspension calibration sensors.

Despite knowing i would get flak for stating this obvious danger, it is actually only the right and responsible thing for any member to do.

And i would hope most members will see and agree i have a perfectly valid point about this product worthy of adding regardless of who i am or what i do.

Post #4348328th Mar 2009 12:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
GraemeS

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

BBS SPY wrote:
Hell a bald brake pedal rubber is enough for most insurers to walk away, imagine their delight spotting bright orange and silver bits on the suspension calibration sensors.

I have to agree that the colour would draw attention to the threaded rods a bit like a red flag to a bull, so spray everything black! Modified original rods would be indetectible unless they broke the glue.

Post #4348518th Mar 2009 1:22 pm
Neil Pettersen

BBS SPY wrote:
... please feel free to bury your head in the sand and argue of legislation differences in different countries....

I live here , and you don't.

Post #4348648th Mar 2009 2:07 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Obviously a disguise is one line of thought, however that would not actually fix the problem. if the calibration is not as it should be, i would hate to think what could happen slamming the brakes on at speed on a motorway on the way home.

Since one would need to crawl underneath the vehicle after using off road, Perhaps it would be more prudent to consider slipping the modded ones off and the origionals back on instead of trying to re adjust these.

is that a workable get around for those in more over bearing countries.

Post #4348658th Mar 2009 2:15 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Quote:
I live here , and you don't.

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
no actually, you are totally wrong, i do live here and you don't.
I also actually live somewhere else to you, and i don't live in the Uk as in Disco3.co.UK.

So again might i re iterate, my point was not country specific, as in i recognize that the world has many other countries beside my own. And sure in some countries my point may be invalid which might well include yours, and that's just great for you. However the fact of my point on this UK based forum is, in many other countries, such as the UK, it sure as hell is very valid indeed. As the guy just imprisoned there after being blamed for killing four of his own children by modifying his Land Rovers suspension would be happy to explain to you.

Frankly, i find it incredulous to see that the best response you have to my perfectly valid and considered point of safety concern of the members here is "I live here and you don't".
Just brilliant. Whistle

Also who i am or what i might or might not make or that i may or not have alternate motive, or the fact that i might live here or there is all absolutely totally inconsequential and irrelevant and detracts in no way what so ever from the absolute validity of my point.

Its starting to get that only you seem unable to see that. Shocked

Post #4348718th Mar 2009 2:47 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Back off chaps, or I will lock the thread.

Play nicely now Thumbs Up

Post #4348968th Mar 2009 3:37 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

and @ BBS Spy

sponsorship rules wrote:
[*]Sponsoring companies cannot comment on products or services from competing companies whatsoever, nor can they compare their offerings to those from other sponsors, either publicly or via private messages. It is up to potential customers to compare offerings from sponsors.

As an arrangement exisits between Martin and Daveyb then this rule comes into play Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #4349078th Mar 2009 3:49 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Could I remind site sponsors of the Commercial Posting Rules, DG has quoted the paragraph which applies here.

You are both sponsors, and you are supplying/will supply different solutions for the same requirement. It is not healthy for either of you to be involved in an argument on the forum. If you wish to do this between yourselves then that is up to you, but not on here please.

Martin

Post #4349158th Mar 2009 3:54 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

No problem chaps, I can only hope you appreciate that I only made what i believe to be an conscientiously important, fair and valid safety point, that i felt compelled to mention especially considering those recent events. It is most unfortunate that i as a site sponsor should be the one to have noted it and have cause to raise it. But then perhaps its because i have to consider such matters very carefully myself.

I certainly intended no offense, was as polite as i could be and entered into no form of product comparison or derogatory comment. Actually i think i offered some useful / helpful ideas. So please appreciate that my intent was genuinely good and i hope you can at least appreciate that it was in members interests rather than my own.

However i respect the rules and the reasoning behind them, and can see that my presence and comments, no matter how well intended are not appreciated on this thread, and just as importantly do infringe the rules, so other than this post answering your posts and comments, and offering my apologies to the other party, i have no further requirement to post here and will desist from doing so with immediate effect.
Sorry to you chaps to for having caused you any concern.

warmest regards to all

Post #4349928th Mar 2009 5:35 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >