Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

AIR COMPRESSOR - broke the holding bracket to the chassis
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
albany23

Romania 2006 LR3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueLR3
AIR COMPRESSOR - broke the holding bracket to the chassis

I am sorry, i dont know what the thing is called, but i broke it today...

I was trying to install the rear mud guards, so i took out the jack and tried to position it in the 'special designated orifice'. Trouble is, there is an identical looking 'orifice', for draining purposes,perhaps, right in the middle of the compressor housing. Stared lifing the rear, when a sudden crack advised me to stop and inspect.
I figured i broke some plastic cover of some sort, so i repositioned the jack in the chassis this time and moved on succesfully.As i started the car again, the noise was desturbing.
Seems i managed to destroy the support for the compressor, and now it vibrates loudly.
Is there any fast solution to this? Easter is coming and im leaving in a week for a 3000 kms vacation with my family... the wife is in the dark for now, but i am afraid to move the car. Compressor works fine, but the noise is frightening...
thanks,
Mihai
 Discovery 3, 12/2006, SE, AUTO
Buckingham Blue
EGR Blanking Kit

Fragile Earth 

Post #78780620th Apr 2011 12:26 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bbyer

Canada 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
Broken compressor bracket - not all that uncommon but ...

The jpg below is what you broke - most often it is tyre repair service people breaking it so for the owner to do it, that is a change. Don't feel too bad about it, however I do not envy your situation with the better half, and yes, you will have to get the bracket replaced.

Whenever I have tyre people working on my 3, I always give them a lecture - some are annoyed and others appreciate it. You can keep the broken bracket to show shop people whenever your 3 visits a shop that does not understand the 3.

If you go thru the search function, you will find some posts as to how to replace the bracket - not all that easy however in my mind the first time.

The jpg is something I found somewhere on the forum and is a new one - what you will be buying.

2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L AJ-V8 petrol; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K Yellow Ion H11 Fog Light bulbs; CounterAct LT-2 Capacitive Corrosion control; LLumar AIR80 Blue clear Infra Red blocking side window film; Liftgate manual release; Schrader Valve "air in" mod to OEM air suspension reservoir tank; Akebono ceramic pads; OEM solid vented discs; LR4 design hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 MOST bluetooth module; Clock on the Dash; 3 Flash signal light mod; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.  
Post #78780920th Apr 2011 1:43 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

If they use salt on your roads it is a good idea to give it a coat of paint first as they corrode very fast. Idea
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #78781520th Apr 2011 4:43 am
bbyer

Yes, they do turn black.

caverD3 wrote:
If they use salt on your roads it is a good idea to give it a coat of paint first as they corrode very fast. Idea

That is a good idea. I had never thought of that but they do turn black over here.

I imagine corrosion is not much of a concern in Australia or the EU, but in the Northern States and Canada, yes corrosion protection should be included in the NAS spec.

I guess Land Rovers thinking was that we would break them before they dissolved so corrosion protection is not required - in practice, probably correct as I am on my second bracket as well.
 2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L AJ-V8 petrol; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K Yellow Ion H11 Fog Light bulbs; CounterAct LT-2 Capacitive Corrosion control; LLumar AIR80 Blue clear Infra Red blocking side window film; Liftgate manual release; Schrader Valve "air in" mod to OEM air suspension reservoir tank; Akebono ceramic pads; OEM solid vented discs; LR4 design hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 MOST bluetooth module; Clock on the Dash; 3 Flash signal light mod; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.  
Post #78782120th Apr 2011 6:33 am
chocolademan

Norway 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Re: AIR COMPRESSOR - broke the holding bracket to the chassi

albany23 wrote:
I am sorry, i dont know what the thing is called, but i broke it today...
Mihai

There are a few on Ebay. Ask if they do super express delivery....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GENUINE-Land-Rover-D...4aa6f040db

Search for "Discovery 3 Compressor"

Good luck!!
 Faultmate MSV2 MultiVehicle
D3: Tailgate Actuator DIY: http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...IY%7E0.pdf 

Post #78782320th Apr 2011 6:47 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
albany23

Romania 2006 LR3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueLR3
Many thanks

As i said, many thanks for the info, honestly i was gonna tie a rubber band around the god damn thing, but your posts made me order the part today.

BTW, prices in Romania are something else, meaning 135 Eur for the bracket and another 35 Eur for the lower case. Plus work, that will set me back 250 Euros just because im clumsy with tools(and jacks, and food, and cellphones). But i found the part, and they'll airmail it to me from the UK for Friday morning.

Oh, and as a side comment, i paid today 600 Euros for replacing the 2 big oil bushings on the front axle, 2 front wipers, and 2 steering rods (service and wheel alignment included). Is that not expensive?!?!? It's a official LR Dealer...

One question: the compressor is really noisy now, but still works as fast as it should. Noisy without the lower cover and the bracket in pieces vibrating on the chassis. I want to know if there's any chance the axle of the compressor can be off-centre or damaged after about 10 kms of driving to the dealer?

Thanks again,
Mihai
 Discovery 3, 12/2006, SE, AUTO
Buckingham Blue
EGR Blanking Kit

Fragile Earth 

Post #78803520th Apr 2011 7:55 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

Why not repair it ?
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #78804320th Apr 2011 8:12 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

yes it can be welded up if you know any welders Whistle
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication ray@rld-tech.co.uk D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #78805120th Apr 2011 8:39 pm
bp

United Kingdom 

Changed mine today my monkey spit weld gave up not hard to do but get new bolts as you dont get new ones with the bracket Evil or Very Mad , or the rubber dampers
 Don’t worry it is supposed to sound like that...honest  
Post #78805920th Apr 2011 8:51 pm
bbyer

Compressor either works or it does not.

albany23 wrote:
One question: the compressor is really noisy now, but still works as fast as it should. Noisy without the lower cover and the bracket in pieces vibrating on the chassis. I want to know if there's any chance the axle of the compressor can be off-centre or damaged after about 10 kms of driving to the dealer?
Thanks again,Mihai

If you go into my gallery under the Broken Compressor file, you will see a couple of jpg's that show the inside of my previous broken compressor. Basically, the compressor is OK until it quits. About all that would happen re the 10 mile drive is an air line might pull out of where it should be.

I suggest that with your 3 at normal height, remove the air compressor relay in the engine compartment fuse box, or unplug the big electrical plug at the compressor, or better, both plugs. That way, the compressor will not run and then you could tie the compressor somehow so it does not drop off or end up hanging by the air lines.
Post #78812620th Apr 2011 11:09 pm
Craig S-L

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

I drove a couple of hundred miles with mine like that before I could get a chance to look at it, that was 3 years ago and the same compressor is going strong (although it has got very noisy this week, so may be about to let go.)
 Craig

2015 D? SDV6 HSE Loire Blue
2009 D4 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black
2006 G4 Challenge V8 HSE (Gone, but fuel bills not forgotten!)
Media Support Vehicle Stage 1 & 2 Thailand and Laos
Driven by Rudi Thoelen, 2003 Winner 

Post #78854921st Apr 2011 10:44 pm
daveyb

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

Here's my adventure -

http://lrrforums.com/showthread.php?t=17897
 2006 D3 Tonga Green
275/65/18 GY DuraTracs - ARB w/ EP9.0 - Sasquatch Rods 

Post #78857322nd Apr 2011 12:01 am
soundsolutions

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Just done the same thing with mine, persistantly with rain, bang the jack under, & crack! Rolling Eyes

(what a c**p piece of engineering, & design!) Putting a part like that on an off road vehicle without protection! Even B Censored W put it in the space where the spare wheel winds up!

Anyway

Picked one up from Express 4x4 (Island 4x4 Kent)

1 x BRACKET - COMPRESSOR - RQU500064 (RQU500064) = £37.52

Sub-Total: £37.52
VAT: £7.50
UK Delivery (Standard): £6.99
Total: £52.01

Came with bushes, unlike the ones on eblag at the moment.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_from=R40&am...Categories

finally got round to fitting it yesterday, Any ideas on the top bolt? Ratchet spanner works fine for getting it out, but getting it back is a whole new story!

Any idea's? left it out for the time being.

Also still got the vibrating & banging, so going to try with the covers off, if it still does it, I may have knacked the compressor.
 The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.  
Post #8036735th Jun 2011 12:34 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

There was talk of someone making a toughened compressor guard a while back - does one exist yet?

Post #8036745th Jun 2011 12:46 pm
bbyer

Link to a number of different procedures re bracket.

soundsolutions wrote:
finally got round to fitting it yesterday, Any ideas on the top bolt? Ratchet spanner works fine for getting it out, but getting it back is a whole new story!

Any idea's? left it out for the time being. Also still got the vibrating & banging, so going to try with the covers off, if it still does it, I may have knacked the compressor.

This link and pictures within pretty much tell you how to install the bracket.

The link comments that the easiest way is to not install the top bolt. An alternative however is the use of a "wobble" socket, but one of the posts is from a LR mechanic who regards the replacement as pretty much routine and provides some solutions.

http://www.lrrforums.com/showthread.php?t=17897
Post #8036855th Jun 2011 2:37 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >