DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Auto trans - will only shift up with command shift
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Greg9504

Canada 2006 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Buckingham BlueLR3
Auto trans - will only shift up with command shift

Hi,

Having a problem with my transmission. In drive it will not shift out of first gear, and if I don't select command shift eventually the RPM's are too high and I get a "reduced performance" message. Using Command shift I can change gears and everything seems fine. If I put it back in Drive from command shift (say after getting to 4 th gear) the car shifts down as I slow. But starting off from a stop it will not shift up, unless I do it manually with command shift. Sport mode is the same as Drive, will not shift up.

Any ideas? I have an IID tool. I hooked it up but there were no relevant error codes.

Thanks
Greg.
 2006 SE 4.0 V6 with rear locker  
Post #184182328th Jul 2017 5:31 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Brake light bulb and/or pedal switch can cause the same issues Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #184183828th Jul 2017 5:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Greg9504

Hi, thanks for the help. I had replaced the brake light switch last fall when tracking down another problem (turned out to be a corroded/broken wire in sill).

I read somewhere else that a tire with a different diameter could cause it, one tire was low at about 25 lbs. After filling it, took it out for a drive and it was still a problem at first (would only shift manually), then it cleared up and started driving correctly. Figured that was the problem. Nope, after going for lunch I get back in and it's back to doing the same thing. Tire is at correct pressure.

After getting home I took it for another test drive and didn't get very far before I got the Christmas tree of warnings, hdc fault etc... I wondering if low battery (and perhaps alternator) could cause this. The IID Tool was displaying 13.5 VDC. I put an "intelligent" charger on the battery and it was reading "low". I replaced the battery with a new one back in the fall when I was tracking down the broken wire fault, so I'm thinking more the alternator... what voltage should I see when running? My plan is to charge the battery and see if things go back to normal then look at the alternator.

Thanks.
Greg.
Post #184191028th Jul 2017 8:35 pm
Greg9504

Forgot to follow up with this. It was as Disco_Mikey suggested, a bad tail light bulb. I would have never guessed this. I replaced it the next day and haven't had the problem occur since. Thanks for your help.

Post #187418531st Oct 2017 3:44 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Out of curiosity - since LED tail lights aren’t supposed to break in the same way, would replacing the originals with such ones mitigate this issue completely?

(Obviously for the cost of replacing one can keep ~100+ lights in the trunk as spares) Thumbs Up

Post #187419431st Oct 2017 3:51 pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Yes, and it doesn't have to be the whole unit; just LED bulbs will do, as long as they're good quality. Thumbs Up
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #187422031st Oct 2017 5:11 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Oh the other hand, you may need to fit a resistor.

So wouldn't fit LEDs just to mitigate this!

Post #187424031st Oct 2017 6:29 pm
Lost for Words

Not for the brake/tail bulbs though. Thumbs Up
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC

Post #18744521st Nov 2017 9:37 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

I'm amazed the brake lights don't require a load resistor will all the grief and fuss they cause.

People say use a good brand or buy from dealer, and you say you can just slap any cheap LED in there? Shocked

Post #18745361st Nov 2017 1:25 pm
Lost for Words

I wouldn't stick any old LED in there; I'd only recommend good quality ones. Some have reported issues with radio interference, but my Hids4u (Twenty20) ones have been absolutely perfect. The BCM doesn't appreciate electrical noise from arcing, so the low current draw of LEDs is actually much better for it. Thumbs Up

Post #18745401st Nov 2017 1:43 pm
defector

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

And with a lower current draw, less arcing in the brake light switch, and less switch failures.
Am I right in thinking that D4's have less brake light switch problems ?

Post #18745671st Nov 2017 3:01 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Weirdly my D3 has eaten a few brake light bulbs and not once has it caused an issue, of course now I have written that!

Post #18746561st Nov 2017 7:37 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

defector wrote:
And with a lower current draw, less arcing in the brake light switch, and less switch failures.
Am I right in thinking that D4's have less brake light switch problems ?

No, they have different brake switch problems! However, on the D3 I think the switch just sends a signal to the appropriate 'brain' which in turn will calculate if the circumstances of operation are correct, decide if the driver has actually pressed the brake, and if it feels in the mood, will put the brake lights on.

Sometimes a broken brake light filament will touch the tail light filament in the same bulb. When that happens it sends the brain into complete 'does not compute' mode, and it tries to kill the driver by various means, one of which is cutting your engine power at 70 mph with a 40 ton Lorry inches from your rear!

Wink

Post #18746601st Nov 2017 7:45 pm
Lost for Words

Gareth wrote:
However, on the D3 I think the switch just sends a signal to the appropriate 'brain' which in turn will calculate if the circumstances of operation are correct, decide if the driver has actually pressed the brake, and if it feels in the mood, will put the brake lights on.

Nope - it does feed the lights directly:

Click image to enlarge

Thumbs Up

Post #18748502nd Nov 2017 9:31 am
bbyer

Canada 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
if it were only so simply

I tend to agree with Gareth.

The big difference between our 3's and normal vehicles is the downhill descent feature which does not really show on the wiring diagram above.

This is one reason our 3's have a double pole brake switch so that the ABS knows that the brake pedal has been fooled with, or not.

Not only to the "brains" of the 3 connect to the brake light circuit via the ABS but also to the tranny and the throttle and who knows what else to facilitate the downhill descent feature. One of the "secret" features about the downhill is when it is controlling speed by automatically applying the brakes or going into a lower gear or retarding the throttle is that the brake lights go on automatically. This is a two way street however so when things are less than perfect, odd events follow, and that is with the downhill not activated - but it is sort of at work anyway doing mischief.

Less than perfect can be non spec brake light bulbs - yes the cheap far east ones can be very expensive even though they appear to be operating correctly as they may be drawing more or less amps than the computers anticipate. This can throw faults. With spec bulbs, all the filaments stand vertical when properly installed, hence when a filament fails, the failed filament does not normally fall on the adjacent filament - this really can raise he** with the computers. With off shore bulbs, maybe the filaments stand vertical, maybe not etc.

In brief, the cheap first fix to to install new LR spec bulbs in all the rear bulb positions - signal, brake, and backup plus a new brake light switch. The good news about that is even if the problem is not resolved, future problems will be once the real problem has been figured out.

https://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5082
 2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L AJ-V8 petrol; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K Yellow Ion H11 Fog Light bulbs; CounterAct LT-2 Capacitive Corrosion control; LLumar AIR80 Blue clear Infra Red blocking side window film; Liftgate manual release; Schrader Valve "air in" mod to OEM air suspension reservoir tank; Akebono ceramic pads; OEM solid vented discs; LR4 design hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 MOST bluetooth module; Clock on the Dash; 3 Flash signal light mod; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.  
Post #189507729th Dec 2017 5:42 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >