DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Bailey Caravans
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
MrModo

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Bailey Caravans

Hi All

Anyone know much about them. Am looking around for a cheap starter caravan and they seem to be pretty good value ...a 4 berth 2000 model for around £2500 - £3000

Might be an open question, but are they any good?

Thx

Post #113281017th Jul 2013 5:35 pm
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

They've been around for a long time, and like many manufacturers, they've had ups and downs. Generally though, they're very popular. At the age that you're considering, as with a car, go on condition/history rather than make.

Post #113281517th Jul 2013 5:40 pm
Gabbo

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

completely agree with Nigel. Borrow a damp meter when you look too
 D4 Fuji White HSE with Black Pack, TV, RSE, Tow Pack, Side Steps & Heated Steering Wheel  
Post #113282217th Jul 2013 5:45 pm
highbayrack

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto LuxorDiscovery 4

You could also look at Avondale vans, although they have gone out of business since 2006 the build quality on them is excellent, ask anyone in the know. And you can still get bits for them if you know where to look. Very reasonably priced, well maybe not this time of year Thumbs Up we had a brand new Weltbaumer (Tec) which was great but we out grew it and bought the bigger/older Avondale which we love, Ok it's 7 years old now, but its a great van for the family. Highly recommended Thumbs Up

Chris
 On a mission to find the perfect Pork Pie. Just Found it (I think)..(Yes I have)
Official product sponsor for "Bloodhound SSC" 1000+ mph world land speed record 

Post #113286517th Jul 2013 7:09 pm
Landie71

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Just bought a Bailey, not been away in it yet, but had a good look over it & it looks well put together. Hope you enjoy what you get Very Happy

Post #113286617th Jul 2013 7:09 pm
robbo770

Scotland 

can highly recommend Coachman vans , very high quality build internally, not plastic bids;

but as above go by the van condition not brand
 FFRR SC 4.2

Rejected!! RRS2
Fit TDV6 intercooler hoses
Fast Road intercooler
De-Cat pipe
D3 to B4 front end Upgrade
OEM TV/DVD Screens+wireless Headphones! 

Post #113286817th Jul 2013 7:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

the bailey pageant would do well - we had one about 7 years ago and it was pretty good. for that money there are litteraly thousands to choose from !!
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #113287017th Jul 2013 7:15 pm
highbayrack

Gabbo wrote:
completely agree with Nigel. Borrow a damp meter when you look too

Totally agree with you Gabbo and Nigel, you can buy one from Maplins for under £30, good investment that can save you hundreds . Trouble is this time of year when its very warm and dry, they are not going to tell you much with a damp meter, you need to rely on your nose and visual signs. Also with any van, check the floor for signs of de- lamination which can be easily fixed, but it can be a pain in the ar$e if you repair it yourself and expensive if you get someone else to do it Thumbs Up
 On a mission to find the perfect Pork Pie. Just Found it (I think)..(Yes I have)

Post #113287817th Jul 2013 7:22 pm
MrModo

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Thanks guys, without knowing what I'm really looking at it can be quite difficult. I'm sure tomorrow I'll be looking at a different 'brand' !

Post #113289917th Jul 2013 7:49 pm
Richie63

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Bailey's have normaly allways had a fairly good reputation for a "fair" build quality van, but as has allready been said all makes of caravan can suffer with damp, some more than others.

A damp meter with sharp points is allways a must, you need to look in all the areas inside the van where things are screwed on from outside i.e awning rails and any other trim and vents screwed to the sides and roof areas and around the windows, these are all potential damp penetration areas.

Also check that the floor isn't spongy or springy feeling underfoot this is delamination (damp), even if it feels good, look under the caravan if it has what looks like plugged filled holes in the floor then it has suffered delam but been repaired.

My experience with Avondales has led me to believe that they should be avoided due to there poor build quality.

Richard Thumbs Up

Post #113290317th Jul 2013 7:55 pm
highbayrack

Richie63 wrote:
My experience with Avondales has led me to believe that they should be avoided due to there poor build quality.

Richard Thumbs Up

Have you ever owned an Avondale then Richard,

Post #113294217th Jul 2013 9:12 pm
Richie63

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

wouldn't make a statement like that if I hadn't, thats how I know so much about damp and delaminated floors. Laughing Thumbs Up

Richard

Post #113294517th Jul 2013 9:20 pm
Biffysun

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Well I just bought a new Bailey two weeks ago and am well pleased with it Very Happy Took a hit on my 18mnth old Swift but worth it 8) I can't speak about the older models as I've only had a Compass and an Elddis before and both were great vans Thumbs Up Hated that Swift Twisted Evil

As has been said on here, go in with your eyes open and your nostrils! Shocked I always find that opening the door of a van and going straight in you can smell any damp or mustiness and that's a good indicator, I'd be suspicious of a caravan which was reeking of air fresheners Confused

Post #113296317th Jul 2013 9:48 pm
riverblanche

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Agree as above, buy on condition, one of the best vans we have had was a 15 + year old buccaneer elan

and a layout that you think suits
(you will still end up changing for a different layout that you think will be better)
it wont be, it's just going to be different Rolling Eyes

we have even changed our van so the dogs have more room Laughing

As for damp look out for small stress fracture lines on front and rear panels as well Shocked friend of ours had the front done under warranty few years back, 18 months ago did the other front corner themselves, as damp showing again, it just looked like airfix balsa model when all stripped down Shocked Shocked last week had the damp test done and the back corner wants doing now, you can follow the damp from a hairline crack found on the outside, still showed up in this hot weather

And yes his van does start with an A Evil or Very Mad

enjoy Thumbs Up
 Transit! 2019
Gone D3 HSE 2008
Another Porsche Cayenne 2022
Gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
Gone RRS HSE Dynamic 2016
Gone RRS HSE LUX 2011
Gone RRS HSE 2006
Gone D3 SE 2.7 2008
gone D2 Td5 1999

I plan on living forever and so far so good !

Club DG Mclaren stuff

Post #113296417th Jul 2013 9:50 pm
highbayrack

Well its interesting to hear your views, I was told by an insurance company caravan expert of 30 years who advises for the CC that the Avondale build quality generally was as good as the best of any British made vans and better than most, especially the ones made by them between MY04 to 06 before they went out of business. As for de- lamination, I happen to know that until quite recently that it could happen to any/every make of british van, even caravans less than a year old could suffer from it as they were all using the same flooring system from the same manufacture. I guess it all depends on who you speak to and the luck of the draw. All I can say is that we have had several high end caravans, mainly European, but we are more than pleased with our Avondale, its as good as new inside and out. The only thing I would say is that compared to the more modern vans today it is looking a little dated now but what would you expect from a nearly 8 year old caravan, but we've decided not to change this one yet until the kids are a little older and less prone to damage things. Thumbs Up

Post #113297217th Jul 2013 9:56 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >