Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Belt slipping with aircon on?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
discoBizz

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Belt slipping with aircon on?

For a while now, more so with the climate control on, I've been getting a noise when switching off the engine, which sounds a little like a slipping belt (kinda like a short whistle - not even a second).

The car has had it's 3year service a few weeks ago slightly ahead of time and mileage Razz , but the sound is still there, though not noticing it every single time...

Anyone else had this and if so what is the symptom exactly (and of course the cause) please?

Running out of warranty in a couple of weeks and want to sort out as much as I can before then (though seriously considering extending - but that's another thread Laughing )

Thanks
 ==> Guide - Inexpensive AV Modification
==> Guide - Extend the multimedia of your Discovery III (September 2011, v1.2 uploaded)  
Post #68300616th Aug 2010 2:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
discoBizz

Bumb Whistle

No one else have this? Confused
==> Guide - Extend the multimedia of your Discovery III (September 2011, v1.2 uploaded)  
Post #68323817th Aug 2010 9:17 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Trackman

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Not a direct answer to your question but if you have a slipping belt you normally get a squeal when you increase the revs quickly i.e. rev the engine.

If you get a squeal when switching off that could be someting loosing lubrication which is normally fed with oil from the oil pump. Not aware of the A/C compessor having an oil feed, but the turbo has.

Does it do it if you let the engine idle for a bit before turning off - make sure the turbo is not still running.

Ian.

Post #68330117th Aug 2010 12:14 pm
discoBizz

Thanks Ian. Not carried out that test TBH (letting it idle before switching off), I'll try it tonight...

No squeal at all when revving, only as described, when switching off Confused
Post #68330417th Aug 2010 12:27 pm
Trackman

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Just watched a tdv6 when stopping and it tends to rock a bit, what I mean by that is it goes clockwise then anti-clockwise just as the pistons come up on compression.

I suppose its possible that a belt that is not tight but not loose enough to slip will squeal in that situation and with aircon on there will be more load.

That said, it will probably be something else.... Laughing

Ian.

Post #68335817th Aug 2010 3:58 pm
discoBizz

Ian thanks again Thumbs Up

I'll be with the car in a couple of hours, take her out for a spin and test as many scenarios as I can...

Your latest comment though (opposite spin) was my first thought as well... I'll ask Mrs Biz to stick her head in the engine bay and observe Rolling with laughter
Post #68336617th Aug 2010 4:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >