Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

brand new disco with different colour door !!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
didi

Ireland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
brand new disco with different colour door !!!

Guys ... i have my disco now over a month (purchased brand brand new) and from the very start noticed the back driver side door was a slightly different colour - darker to the rest of the body work (stornoway). As I am now more familiar with the car this difference is hugely noticeable. I also notice that there is black mastic around the door handle - oozing out from underneath it. It looks like the car was damaged and resprayed and the handle reattached - all done very badly because you notice them immediatley. I have gone back to my fleet buyer who said he will raise the issue with LR.

any thoughts on what I should do? Should i demand a replacement car ? I have never heard of the anything like this - especially on a motor that cost over €60K (yeah guys thats what they are over here !!!) I'm fuming at this deceipt.
Crying or Very sad

dd
 discos here but dat goes dare ...  
Post #2945392nd May 2008 7:50 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Once built, it is not uncommon for a motor from any manufacturer to be dinged to a varying degree before they get delivered ..but this should however be repaired to an exacting standard. Your dealer should have picked this up during the PDI check TBH.

Whether they would give you a new motor is debateable though ...you usually have to give them an opportunity to put it right first Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #2945512nd May 2008 8:36 am
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Where did you buy it Didi , Stuarts , HB Dennis , Spirit ?

They should replace the door at the very least.Had my OSF door replaced with a new resprayed one , no colour difference or any other problems.

Post #2945542nd May 2008 8:56 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
monkey hanger

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

What a shame.

The geneva car on the stand had non matching doors so maybe this is a new style trend after all!

I'd speak to the manager of the dealership and get it sorted ASAP.

IMHO you can always tell to a certain extent if a car has had a respray unless you have a really good bodyshop.

the point is that your car is not up to standard on delivery so they should replace it as long as you are within the 30 days if you are not happy.

I hope that this does not detract too much from your overall enjoyment of the car at the moment....it wont in the long run!
 "its probably a virus, you'll be right as rain in a few days and if you're playing sport try to favour the other leg"  
Post #2945672nd May 2008 9:33 am
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Re: brand new disco with different colour door !!!

didi wrote:
I have gone back to my fleet buyer who said he will raise the issue with LR.

think this is probably the give away.
it's not unknown for dealers to move out vehicles that are 'not quite up to standard' to unsuspecting company buys or leasing companies.

Stand your ground tho and don't accept anything less than a 100% vehicle!
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #2946652nd May 2008 12:58 pm
didi

Ireland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

It was bought through Avis Fleet in Kilbarrack (beside HB Dennis) from Chapmans in Co Kildare.

I got it on the 28th April - so guess my 30 days are up now - blast it anyway !

Evil or Very Mad

dd
 discos here but dat goes dare ...  
Post #2947972nd May 2008 5:28 pm
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Nah , like said above.Stand your ground and insist ( Edit : On a correctly colour blended door I mean).

Last edited by Wex on 2nd May 2008 6:36 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #2947992nd May 2008 5:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BarryG

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

sounds like a dealer repair to me , small tip or scratch in the car lot or showroom Crying or Very sad
very common. what should have been done is that the door and wing or q-panel
should have been painted and blended in .

I dont think you will get a new motor , but you should be getting a bloddy good explanation .
and the problem fixed.

Post #2948352nd May 2008 6:35 pm
oldnickers

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I've been amazed by the relative lack of negative comment on this site about D3 paintwork, unless my own experiences are unique.

In June last year I bought my wife ( Whistle ) an SE in mid-blue (can't remember the name, not Buckingham). We specifically didn't take the showroom car as it had had the osr panel painted at the factory post-build and it was so bad that I could see it in the showroom. Dealer hadn't noticed so they ordered another. Day after collection I noticed the car had the osr door and panel painted - and very poorly. Immediately returned to the dealer firstly to check they hadn't sold us the showroom car and secondly to complain. The dealer principal was very shocked when he saw the car and offered to put it right under warranty or get us a new car. No surprises to learn it was the latter (and we decided to get an 08 HSE) we went for.

What was interesting was that I inspected no fewer than 2 further cars they had and both had poor paint. One, in Buckingham blue, was literally covered in dust particles embedded in the paint surface.

The car we ended up with is almost perfect, but it does make you wonder what was going on. So, my view is don't accept second best - you are entitled to a car that may honestly be described as "new" and a pre-delivery repair of this size, let alone a poor one, is unacceptable.

Post #2949422nd May 2008 11:57 pm
Maverick

Scotland 

Couldn't have said it better my self! Thumbs Up
 Ben

1996 Defender 90 300 TDi 

Post #2949463rd May 2008 12:03 am
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I may have mentioned by Stornoway paint didn't make it to all of the car. The pic below says THIN PAINT and the car was delivered like this. PDI etc. The writting was from LR Quality Control at the factory.

From my experience, mention to the dealer BUT your fleet team will have a rejections person who will have far more influence than the average person on the street.

Fleet worked for me - new car on order Mr. Green
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #2949513rd May 2008 12:11 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

With refrence to paint work, the top edge of the front wings donot appear to have any top coat on them. This cannot be seen when the bonnet is down but is visible with bonnet opne. Is this usual or an issue?
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #2949933rd May 2008 8:44 am
Ken

Thats quite normal in fact if its any different it suggests a repair

Post #2950223rd May 2008 10:45 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Mine's the same.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #2950293rd May 2008 11:18 am
SN

Mine too.

A goodly percentage of us on here subject our vehicles to 'bramble rash' and this might explain therefore why paint quality is not always top of the agenda Confused
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #2950723rd May 2008 5:41 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >