Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

Buying my first D3 (54 plate Buckingham Blue SE)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
BillyGoatsGruff

United Kingdom 
Buying my first D3 (54 plate Buckingham Blue SE)

I've been looking for a suitable purchase for some time as my first venture into Discovery ownership and have currently got a (returnable) deposit down on this D3 SE .

http://finance.autoexposure.co.uk/classicd...449_1a.jpg

It looks very clean and tidy but the supplying dealer is currently sorting an issue (which I've been told is electronics and believe to possibly be suspension related) at present before I travel to see the vehicle. I will be checking for all the usual expectations relating to servicing and replacement wear and tear parts in the history of the vehicle before plunging in to purchasing it though.

I know it's had 4 owners so I'm wondering if its passed through the hands of anyone on here at any point and if there is anything additional they can tell me about it - particularly recurring problems?

Unfortunately despite seeing cheaper cars with less miles privately I'm limited to dealer supplied cars only as I have a Porsche Boxster to trade in (that despite being immaculate is just not selling on the private market). I particularly want a model with leather as well as a) I prefer it and b) with my kids I appreciate the wipe clean nature!

Last edited by BillyGoatsGruff on 4th Mar 2012 2:36 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #9049194th Mar 2012 1:59 pm
bigdave
Site Sponsor 

England 

One thing I would check is that it's had it's belts done 6 yr or 105k.

It's a big one and that motor should have had it done.

Just my ha pennies worth, looks like a good one.

Thumbs Up
 All things shipping, storage, transport. UK and worldwide.

E-mail [email protected] 

Post #9049244th Mar 2012 2:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BillyGoatsGruff

United Kingdom 

Cheers - the 105k - 6/7year service is top of my checklist.

Hoping the wishbones have been done all round as well.

Post #9049324th Mar 2012 2:24 pm
bigdave
Site Sponsor 

England 

Your spot in there I have a 54 plate S and I'm on my 2nd set of wishbones and bushes!!

Make sure you check everything electrical, take your time as there is alot.

Thumbs Up
 All things shipping, storage, transport. UK and worldwide.

E-mail [email protected] 

Post #9049674th Mar 2012 3:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BillyGoatsGruff

United Kingdom 

Right - the dealer has finally fixed the issue - corrosion on the wiring loom (no surprises there then). Will be making plenty of enquiries as to the state of the rest of the loom.

3 month warranty inc in price and additional extended warranty (inc 4x4 components) being offered for approx. £450 (1yr), £600 (2yrs), £750 (3yrs) so I'll be taking up at least 1 of those if I buy the car (prob 2 yrs). Need to check if there is a restriction on the total amount paid out though.

Car will be fully serviced and supplied with a 12 month MOT.

Off to see it this weekend.

Fingers crossed its 'the one'.

Smile

Post #9070278th Mar 2012 9:38 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Lots on warranties in here http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/finance-insu...-vf24.html plus lots of experience (good & bad). Might we worth posting what warranty it is and looking at others. You don't have to buy the dealers if you find better. These cars can be total cash cows so best warranty is not going to be the cheapest.

Post #9070308th Mar 2012 9:45 pm
BillyGoatsGruff

United Kingdom 

Thanks for that advice - on the back of that I did some digging on the warranty on offer on the net (Customer Protect) and can safely say there is no chance of me taking out extended cover with them.

Think I'll have a chat with WD instead having read all the posts. . .

Post #9071048th Mar 2012 11:24 pm
BillyGoatsGruff

United Kingdom 

Went to see the D3 yesterday. All special programmes were disabled and handbrake warning light was on (but it worked). Was told that the systems haven't been reset following replacement of part of the loom and this would be carried out prior to sale. Unfortunately this meant that I wasn't able to check out if the suspension & traction settings worked as required.

History was just a stamped service book with only one brake fluid changed noted (at around 60k service I think - vehicle has now done 97k).

The cam belts weren't changed last year at the service carried out in November but again was assured these would be done when the vehicle is serviced for sale.

2 advisories (track rod ends was one of them, can't remember the other) on the last MOT in November '11

There was no additional paperwork to support the service history apart from a bill from December totalling approx £1100 - £1200 for lots of replacement rods, joints, boots, etc.

Front tyres (General grabber) had 1.5 - 2mm of tread left.

Had a good crawl underneath (easy with the vehicle stuck in high suspension setting) and discovered newish front lower wishbones (still lots of black paint) but rears look pretty corroded and if they've been replaced I'd say it was a long time ago.

One rear wear arch moulding had a deep scuff on it.

Interior was tidy, leather was in good condition but very dirty - nothing a good valet wouldn't sort out.

Previous owner only had it a month and traded it in citing the reason as the driving position gave him a bad back Whistle (funnily enough that's another one of the reason's I'm selling my Porsche to buy a D3)!

Test drive confirmed I definitely want a D3. Love the driving position and it wa svery smooth to drive with no crashing or knocking of the suspension and tracked completely straight. Had a bit of a shock at the first corner though having just stepped out of my Porsche Boxster Laughing

Thought's?

I'm really not happy with the lack of paperwork supporting the history for a vehicle costing £12,990 but am I being too picky.

My gut tells me to keep looking . . .

Last edited by BillyGoatsGruff on 11th Mar 2012 8:46 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #90784611th Mar 2012 8:26 am
DrLex

Iceland 

I'd walk, if not run. Badly prepped vehicle at a dealer with whom you'd arranged a visit to see such? Traded back after a month? Lack of paperwork? Bzzzzt! No sale. You're buying a mass-produced car, not a rare classic - they're plenty around, and in Spring with increasing diesel prices, there'll be more & getting cheaper.
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #90785011th Mar 2012 8:42 am
BillyGoatsGruff

United Kingdom 

I think you're right. Was considering a cheeky offer sold as seen and then giving it a thorough going over.

Too many unknowns though and a lack of paperwork indicates to me the vehicle has 'history'.

Figured I'd hold on and see if my Porsche sell's(best time of year for it now). If so I'll be able to tap into the private market as well as the traders and with a slightly higher budget. I may be able to afford a 56 plate then.

Last edited by BillyGoatsGruff on 11th Mar 2012 8:58 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #90785211th Mar 2012 8:55 am
haroosh

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Rimini RedDiscovery 3

I know it can be tricky to walk away from car when you have set your heart on it but it does sound a little risky to me given the age and story that goes with it. As the previous post said there are loads around at the moment. I suppose the only other consideration in your case is the trade in so it needs to be a dealer I guess. I would definately hang on and do a little more digging. Almost coming into convertible season so boxter may be more appealing in trade ins.

Post #90785411th Mar 2012 8:57 am
anglefire

England 

The Coachman on here is selling his HSE Buck blue. I've seen the car and it is basically mint Thumbs Up
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #90785611th Mar 2012 9:06 am
DrLex

Iceland 

Thumbs Up - link to the Coachman's ad. Save him from eBay muppets!
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #90785811th Mar 2012 9:18 am
IBBO

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Walk away! As per previous post plenty D3'S around presently with cost of diesel. There are good ones around, esp. on here. Not worth taking the risk. Look for FLRSH with supporting paperwork - at least it give you some piece of mind. 4 previous owners also suggests not a good one.! Thumbs Up

Post #90786311th Mar 2012 9:56 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Walk away!! Buy something like Coachan's and take out a proper warranty with someone like Warranty Direct. If a dealer can't be ar$ed to get it sorted out prior to sale, he's only going to do the minimum after it's sold then you'll just be relying on the warranty. Then you'll hear lots of "Sorry sir, that's not covered" or "Sorry sir, that's wear & tear".

Plus Coachman's is an auto, far superior to the agricultural manual. Laughing Laughing Whistle

Ducking for cover. Whistle

Post #90787211th Mar 2012 10:55 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >