Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

D4 protectant pack from LR - necessary?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
misheemee

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
D4 protectant pack from LR - necessary?

Due to pick up my new D4 next week, and I'm wondering if the protection pack - body, leather, rims - is necessary? Seems like a lot of extra money...

Advice would be much appreciated

Post #6336409th Apr 2010 2:17 am
DingMark

Iraq 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Necessary? NO
Desirable? DEPENDS

These are the things that can double the dealer's profit margin, so they push them. The paint on a D3/D4 is generally excellent, both on top and underneath. Even if you want the "wet" look of the paint protection, it can be done for about 1/2 the price of the what dealers offer. Ditto for the other protectants. That said, I'm having the dealer tint the windows before delivery of my D4, just for convenience. I'll be overseas when it arrives and want as much as possible done before a trip "up north" a week after delivery. I acknowledge I pay for the privilege.
 Jim Dowell - D4 HSE TDi, 12,000 hydraulic winch & hidden winch mount, MTRs, TyreDog, Traxide 2 x aux battery system, fixed air compressor, Dolium roof rack, MitchHitch.
RIP 2005 D3 HSE V8 5 seater gold (stolen and torched) 

Post #6336419th Apr 2010 3:38 am
SN

I'd agree - stung for 300 notes (ISTR) on my first D3 - then promptly off roaded it in the Peaks and ended up polishing it all off to get rid of the ensuing bramble rash Rolling Eyes - learned my lesson for the second one and said no thanks...
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #6336809th Apr 2010 9:02 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dorko

Australia 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Hmmm same post from aulro.com? Whistle

Dorko
 Dorko  
Post #63438811th Apr 2010 4:57 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

On the other hand, my current D3 was treated with the Supaguard stuff when I got it, wheels, leather, paint etc. I have just washed it for the first time since its 30k service, when the the dealer washed it.

It has now done 40k and I was pleasantly suprised at how easy all the winter crud came off the paint. 10k miles of winter salt, tar all came away very easily. All that is required is a few large tar spots wiping, then a polish.

The only bits that have not fared so well are the wheels, which are absolutely plastered with rock hard brake deposits, and a strange oily streak on the rims of each wheel which initially looks like oil, but will not shift under normal persuasion.

Post #63440611th Apr 2010 9:37 am
misheemee

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Thanks all, decided to go against. May sink the extra cash into an extended warranty instead Very Happy

Post #63442611th Apr 2010 10:33 am
SN

Gareth - I think you've exposed a fair point - depends how much mileage you do. Me? Not that many whereas you're all over the place - in which case your's is helping

As for the wheels - you know TazDaz will offer his Mr Muscle Oven Cleaner option as a solution Thumbs Up
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #63455111th Apr 2010 7:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >