Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

D4 Tyre Options
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Horto22

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4
D4 Tyre Options

I have ordered a 3.0l TDV6 D4 and have been researching tyre options.

I was planning on running 2 sets of wheels as I have done wth my last 2 disco's. A set of 20's with road based rubber and second set wih off road rubber. This plann doesnt work so ell with the D4 as it would appear that the 19inch standard rims are the smallest rims that will fit. And there is very limited options for 19inch offroad rubber. The Goodyear 255/55/19 MTRs being the only one I can find for 19 inch rims, and they are very exspensive here in Australia. The other option I am now considering and would be kean on any feedback is running a single set of 285/50/20 Coopers Zeon LTZ .

These appear to be a good option on the D3 but are not sure if they will fit the D4 given the changes to suspension componenets.

Would appreaciate any feedback on these tyres with respect to Noise, On road & Off Road performance in comparision to standard tyres or BFG AT.

By the way what is the standard rubber supplied on the D4 3.0l?

Cheers
Horto
 2010 White D4 TDV6 3.0l SE, Rear Diff Lock.  
Post #5434761st Nov 2009 1:09 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

You have very little choice in 19 inch off road rubber, in fact you have a greater choice in 20 inch. Shocked (eg LTZs)
Dumb decision of LR to produce such a capable vehicle unable to take anything less than 19 inch wheels. Rolling Eyes
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #5435131st Nov 2009 3:55 am
DingMark

Iraq 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

There's also the 19" Pirelli ATR available for a bit less than the Goodyear MTR. It may sound a bit odd but I use 18" Cooper HTs for highway and general knockabout, but go back to the 19" MTRs for soft sand and jagged rock trips. The MTRs are better than I expected for a low profile tyr (given the current price they should be perfect for every service!) Since you're probably stuck at 19" or bigger, careful consideration is needed on the pressure you run at. I use 16psi on soft sand but that pressure would allow the rims to impact if going over rough rocks (I use 23-26psi, depending on load). I've read of someone cracking a rim on one of the desert tracks using MTRs.

You'll just have to keep reminding yourself that everything is a compromise. In return for a sweet engine and what are no doubt truly amazing brakes, you'll be spending as much on tyres as on fuel (not quite my situation with a V8).
 Jim Dowell - D4 HSE TDi, 12,000 hydraulic winch & hidden winch mount, MTRs, TyreDog, Traxide 2 x aux battery system, fixed air compressor, Dolium roof rack, MitchHitch.
RIP 2005 D3 HSE V8 5 seater gold (stolen and torched) 

Post #5440672nd Nov 2009 2:56 am
Titan

2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4
Winter tyre recommendations by LR for D4

Have just noticed that LR now have an approved winter tyre for 18,19,and 20 inch wheels in the new D4 handbook. Didn't think that was in D3 manual. As a convinced winter tyre user I was surprised to see that Pirelli scorpion snow and ice are not approved. These were very successful on my D3. The approved are Dunlop winter sport M3 for 18 inch rims, Goodyear Ultragrip for 19 s and Continental Cross contact for 20s. I am on point of choosing for 19s and would have repeated Pirelli scorpion snow and ice or , because of good comments the Vredestein Wintrac 4 extreme. Does anyone out there know the reason for the "approval" or have any experience of the Goodyears.
Titan
 Titan  
Post #5454253rd Nov 2009 11:37 pm
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3
Re: Winter tyre recommendations by LR for D4

Titan wrote:
Have just noticed that LR now have an approved winter tyre for 18,19,and 20 inch wheels in the new D4 handbook. ............. The approved are Dunlop winter sport M3 for 18 inch rims, Goodyear Ultragrip for 19 s and Continental Cross contact for 20s. I am on point of choosing for 19s and would have repeated Pirelli scorpion snow and ice or , because of good comments the Vredestein Wintrac 4 extreme

That's surprising, i thought based on this thread that 18" rims did not fit the D4 and yet it now appears that the D4 handbook refers to 18" rims.....hmmm very strange Confused
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #5454273rd Nov 2009 11:41 pm
NJF

18" rims still available on the D4 2.7 TDV6, I think? Not the 3.0 TDV6?

Post #5454303rd Nov 2009 11:47 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

There is a D4 sold here with the 2.7 L engine that has the old D3 brakes so will fit 18 inch or possibly 17 inch.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #5454674th Nov 2009 1:02 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >