Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Discounts!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 9 <123456789>
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

[quote="SN]Instant Gratification! - always the biggest blocker to getting the best deal! Laughing I've fell foul of it before too! Embarassed[quote]

You should see my wife as well Big Cry
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #53997225th Oct 2009 9:20 pm
OneCent

dick dastardly wrote:
Lets assume that the 10% is consumed in shipping / registration. So why do I see prices of CHF 103'000 at the dealers for a much)less well specced HSE ?

Take a look at the US LR4, with the V8, 60k$ for a HSE with near everything incl. the camera system.

Post #54010526th Oct 2009 12:58 am
elemental

Switzerland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto BournvilleDiscovery 4

dick dastardly wrote:
So why do I see prices of CHF 103'000 at the dealers for a much)less well specced HSE ? ..

90K flat plus options takes my HSE order to around 103,000. Discount = net 95K. Similar spec to UK HSE. Forget 1.6 as the exchange rate, GBP is extremely weak at the mo, 2.25 is the historical rate, split the difference let's say 2 and you have your GBP 50K.

Swiss dealers would argue you get free servicing for 3 years as part of the deal (all parts and labour). Great if you do a lot of KMs. (I don't). Parallel importers are already offering the D4 at big discounts. Plus you can pick up a new D3 HSE for about half the price of a new D4.
If you want to import yourself, you'll need to factor in ca. 10k for shipping, storage and strassenverkehrsamt costs. Then 10% vehicle import duty and then MwSt.

I did this with a Mustang in 2007. Took about 4 months from purchase to on the road. Saved around 15% over parallel import. No warranty though, but friendly local Ford garage were sympathetic. Mustang not officially imported, not sure how friendly Land Rover dealers would be with privately imported example. It's a complex car. The Mustang was gloriously simple.

Despite good results in the past, I'm going with an official vehicle this time via a small LR dealer in ZH.

Last edited by elemental on 26th Oct 2009 8:34 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #54013526th Oct 2009 8:22 am
ad15

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Quote:
So I have to walk into the dealer with my 55 plate D3 S + 11K ish and walk out with a D4 HSE.

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
 one wife.......livid  
Post #54013926th Oct 2009 8:30 am
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

The explanation of the difference in the price for the same vehicle in different markets is called "variable market pricing". It reflects conditions in that market and the potential of that market. It also reflects the marginal cost of producing (and shipping) an extra vehicle and various barriers to unoffical cross border trade.

In the US it is a very competitive market but also the largest market in the world. LR ship and sell into the US at probably the lowest margins of any other market they trade in - because they hope it will become their biggest market by some way, and they can still make a good return at a low profit per vehicle.

Bear in mind the cost to LR to make and deliver one extra D4 HSE is probably less than £20k. If they sell that vehicle for £25k they make a small contribution to their fixed overheads and their investment in the design of the vehicle and the machinery, tooling, facilities etc necessary to build it. But to make the overall D4 production make money they need to sell say 500,000 D4's at an "average" price of say £35k. Some markets will be low volume / high margin (like Switzerland), some markets will be low volume / low margin (like Spain), some markets will be high volume / high margin (like the UK) and some will be high volume / low margin (like the US). Pricing differentials depend on various barriers to inter market trade (such as distance, taxes, currency, different specs, regulations, distribution rules and logistics).

If LR get this wrong - they will go out of business or lack the funds to invest in better and better products. If they get it right they will thrive and we get better and better vehicles to buy (and want to buy them).

So far - the D4 looks more likley to succeed than fail - but it is still way too early to say for sure.
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #54014226th Oct 2009 8:39 am
Lazy

Switzerland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Elemental - would be interested to know which dealer in ZRH is giving you 7% ? My local dealer in Zug is offering the grand total of 1.8% discount....

Post #54015426th Oct 2009 9:19 am
ad15

Quote:
My local dealer in Zug is offering the grand total of 1.8% discount....

but don't you pay F all tax in Zug?

seem to recall that being the reason Spyder et all are based there...
 one wife.......livid  
Post #54017026th Oct 2009 9:57 am
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Zug is a very tax friendly canton.....we have two companies based there Whistle (and it is very nice place to visit, too!)

Post #54017726th Oct 2009 10:12 am
110CSW

United Kingdom 

Personally I am waiting until well into 2010 on the assumption that:

-Discounts will improve as volumes grow (they will have to for LR to survive);
-The 2011My might show up some better choices such as the re-instatement of the SE or improving the poor spec on the XS; and
-LR may not put up the prices when VAT rises as the cars are already top end for what they offer.
 2014MY Discovery  
Post #54021126th Oct 2009 11:02 am
elemental

Switzerland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto BournvilleDiscovery 4

Lazy wrote:
Elemental - would be interested to know which dealer in ZRH is giving you 7% ? My local dealer in Zug is offering the grand total of 1.8% discount....

The funny thing is, I suggested the discount to them. This car, these options, 7% discount, write me a letter with the details of the offer you can do. They did so. I even got the same treatment from the big main dealer/importer with several branches around CH. Just tell them you'll do it for x amount and they'll go for it. No dealers are expecting to take many orders at the moment (although I was one of three going for a D4 last Saturday morning). They have good margins (as nicely explained above), 7% is not a terrible deal for them. The dealer in Zug is expensive (Huber right?). If you want to use them then get a written quote 'offerte' from the importer, tell em you can get this deal elsewhere.

Post #54025126th Oct 2009 12:32 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

ad15 wrote:
Quote:
So I have to walk into the dealer with my 55 plate D3 S + 11K ish and walk out with a D4 HSE.

The PX here will certainly be the challenge! Slightly optimistic, methinks.

Now, if I include the NFU voucher on mine, the actual discount achieved (against list price....and the NFU voucher only covers the basic vehicle, not any optional extras), is 11.68%.

To achieve Mr. MW's objective, however, I had to part with a bit more than 11K - more like 12.5K, and my PX was a 58 plate 09MY D3 HSE, not a 55 plate S.

Post #54038526th Oct 2009 5:23 pm
ad15

Unnecessary quote removed

hence me Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter my Censored off.... Thumbs Up
 one wife.......livid  
Post #54039826th Oct 2009 5:49 pm
Ecosse

Winger wrote:
Now, if I include the NFU voucher on mine, the actual discount achieved (against list price....and the NFU voucher only covers the basic vehicle, not any optional extras), is 11.68%.

Winger - sorry if it's slightly off-topic, but do you know if the NFU discount is being continued into next year?

The NFU vouchers issued in September had an April 2010 expiry which seemed logical, yet the NFU site now shows this as requiring vehicles to be registered by 31 December 2009 which will be tough going for any new factory orders, and possibly many orders placed in September Shocked The vouchers retain the right for LR/NFU to vary the terms so could that mean that some NFU members have ordered cars but now find the "deal" has been shortened and won't apply to their Jan 2010 vehicles! Crying or Very sad

The Scottish NFU deal however gives only 3% but to confuse matters their voucher is "valid" for just 60 days from date of issue Rolling Eyes

Any views?

Post #54042126th Oct 2009 6:24 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

I really don't know. I wasn't aware of the April 2010 bit, and was working on the basis of an end 2009 cut off. As it applied to a limited group of people, I see no reason why it wouldn't be extended, though I could see them reducing the model criteria if the D4 is selling very well. I suppose the same goes for the 0% deal; it wasn't clear that this would be extended beyond September, but it has been.

As you say though, assuming lead times don't change, if there is no extension of the NFU deal, then anyone not getting the car registered before the year end will have some work to do with LR. Looks like lead times are 12-13 weeks at present.

Post #54044026th Oct 2009 7:09 pm
dejongj

United Kingdom 

So are you all farmers and growers then? Or just own land? What are the criteria for NFU membership to qualify? I thought you need more than 100 acres? I only have 9 for our house...
 Jean-Paul  
Post #54067326th Oct 2009 11:11 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 7 of 9 <123456789>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >