Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Discounts!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 9 <123456789>
dejongj

United Kingdom 

Well technically it is still a 11% discount as everybody else will have the VAT increase as well...It's just that I've been faffing about trying to get the best discount I'm loosing a bit...
 Jean-Paul  
Post #53968425th Oct 2009 8:54 am
elemental

Switzerland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto BournvilleDiscovery 4

Been offered 7% on factory order from LR dealer

Post #53968925th Oct 2009 9:05 am
dejongj

United Kingdom 

That's not bad, but still 4% you are giving to them Smile And watch out, factory order will be in Jan/Feb now so there will be a 2.5% hike in price due to the VAT increase....
 Jean-Paul  
Post #53969025th Oct 2009 9:07 am
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

It's all a question of timing. I was very pleased with the discount I got. It was only marginally less than the 8.5% mentioned above.

There is nothing wrong with the broker route provided that 1) you are content with what they have to offer spec wise and 2) like everyone else, they can actually source vehicles. There are very few stock vehicles around at the moment, so I suspect that you will either have to be very unfussy when it comes to model/spec/colour or extremely lucky. A broker cannot get a car on a factory order, via their friendly dealer link, a great deal faster than one your order directly through a dealer if there are none around that are already built.

For me, getting the spec I wanted was more important than, and worth more to me, than a few more % discount.

I imagine that it would be best not to compare the Swiss market to the UK market - they are different things.

Post #53969425th Oct 2009 9:17 am
dejongj

United Kingdom 

LOL I wish I never mentioned the net Discount...The discount is 11% not 8.5%....I only mentioned 8.5% as compared to now by the time a new vehicle will arrive it will have an additional 2.5% VAT on it...Applying the same logic to a dealer discount of 5% will give you a net discount of 2.5% compared to being less fussy and getting a current available vehicle...

The broker route is not for me to get a vehicle sooner, as for that the dealer is the route...But I have not been able to get any discount worth talking about from three different Land Rover dealers...A broker will ensure that you do get a sizeable discount, and it is a normal completion with the dealer, you pay the dealer, you get the car from the dealer etc....

That's why I am so annoyed with other dealers who aren't willing to do that since we can both cut out the middle man (the broker) and save/earn a bit more....
 Jean-Paul  
Post #53971125th Oct 2009 10:14 am
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I know all about brokers, and found the buying experience to be very good. I bought my last D3 through one.....and the discount was just over 27%.

As for the 8.5%, I find your logic somewhat twisted. Unless you can claim back the VAT, the discount against list price is effectively going to drop on 1st January.....unless the brokers are going to be able to do better in the New Year, and still offer you 11% against list. If I was buying now, I'd take the risk that the discount will increase in the NY to match the VAT rise, buying will drop off and more vehicles will become available. In other words, I'd wait and expect to achieve 11% in January, as opposed to the 8.5% you are being offered now - factoring in the VAT increase.

Post #53971525th Oct 2009 10:30 am
dejongj

United Kingdom 

But if the list price before VAT drops, then the discount increases again doesn't it?....Being VAT registered (which I am) has nothing to do with it....

But yes, nobody knows what Land Rover is going to do about their prices in January...Are they going to absorb the 2.5% increase, will they have other specials going on....Will the 0% continue...These are all very speculative questions with no certainty on an answer...
 Jean-Paul  
Post #53971725th Oct 2009 10:35 am
DesertRat

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Jean-Paul, I tend to agree with Winger ... though it is speculative. If you have a D3 to sell ... do it now, and take the risk that the discount will increase in the NY to match the VAT rise. Buying will no doubt drop off and an excess of vehicles will become available. Wait to negotiate and buy your D$ until after the NY and expect to achieve a larger discount in 2010. LR's masters in India have just secured a substantial loan for the company and will want to maximise their return. The pressure on LR marketing is definitely around the corner and they will pull out all the stops to appease TATA.
 MY95 D1 V8 ES Polar White
MY06 D3 TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver 

Post #53972425th Oct 2009 10:56 am
dejongj

United Kingdom 

don't have a d3 to sell....Challenge is timing the moment to buy to maximise....If they are not building D4's to up stock, and are currently limiting dealer orders as well...Then it will still be factory orders in the new year so another 3 months gone before one becomes available....

it is all guess work...One thing I will know is that in 3 years time there will be enormous discounts...
 Jean-Paul  
Post #53972625th Oct 2009 11:01 am
MW

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 4

Hi spent ages doin the sums and the man maths for the best deal.

I have managed to achieve a total of 12% off for delivery pre 2010, 7% of local stealer and another 5% off NFU for a 175 joining fee, and then with the landrover finance I think I should get about another 2K-2.5K if I tie this up with a bond for 2 years. SO about total 7K saving.

They are out there if you hunt them down as are the cars, the usual smoke and mirrors on new models!!

So I have to walk into the dealer with my 55 plate D3 S + 11K ish and walk out with a D4 HSE.

Seems pretty good so far.

Post #53993025th Oct 2009 7:58 pm
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

MW wrote:
So I have to walk into the dealer with my 55 plate D3 S + 11K ish and walk out with a D4 HSE..

I struggle to work that out. A 4 year old vehicle of a much lower spec surely can't be worth only £11k less than a new HSE ? I would hazard a guess that a D3 S that was 4 years old would be worth about £15k so I would expect £30k to change into a D4 HSE ? If you can do that for £11k you can probably also walk on water ....... and I'll need to go and lie down.

I chopped in our D3 2007 HSE for a D4 HSE last month and got less than a 5% discount. But as this was the last car the dealer had to sell and they (and I) was pretty sure they could find a good few buyers for it at full money - plus I was pretty confident trade in values were going to fall, and I WANTED ONE NOW - I took the deal. Not at all sorrry I did either.
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Last edited by Smarticus on 25th Oct 2009 9:05 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #53995325th Oct 2009 9:00 pm
SN

there will be other moneys to pay ... at some point ... shimples
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)  

Last edited by SN on 25th Oct 2009 9:13 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #53995625th Oct 2009 9:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

SN wrote:
there will be other moneys to pay ... at some point ... shimples Thumbs Up

Embarassed Laughing
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #53996025th Oct 2009 9:08 pm
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

elemental wrote:
Been offered 7% on factory order from LR dealer

GBP 50'000 for an HSE with lots of goodies is CHF 82'250 at a spot rate of 1.645 CHF/GBP. Given that 15%vat will be refunded from the UK and 7.5 % paid in CH, then thats about another 10% reduction in price possible. Lets assume that the 10% is consumed in shipping / registration. So why do I see prices of CHF 103'000 at the dealers for a much)less well specced HSE ?

If we could import LHD direct, even without negotiating discounts, a reduction of 20% should be easily possible. So how can we do this ?

With the UK Gov. still diluting the pound, the exchange rate should be even better next year !

Sorry if I've just barged in at this page and missed anything, off to read the rest now...
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #53996825th Oct 2009 9:16 pm
SN

Smarticus wrote:
I WANTED ONE NOW
Instant Gratification! - always the biggest blocker to getting the best deal! Laughing I've fell foul of it before too! Embarassed

Glad your happy with your purchase Thumbs Up
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #53996925th Oct 2009 9:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 6 of 9 <123456789>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >