Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

EGR Blanking - Full Kit or Blanks only
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
alski

Northern Ireland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
EGR Blanking - Full Kit or Blanks only

Pretty much as the title reads - I have looked at all (that I could find) posts on the subject - Just want to know the advantages (if any ) of going for the full blanking kit at £ 50 ish (available from a well known member) or just using the blanks which are around £ 5. I have an 06A vin and want to do this as a preventative measure.

Feel free to take the mick Laughing if this has been covered already Embarassed (please post the link too Thumbs Up )

Post #64274229th Apr 2010 1:30 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Blanking plates will just remove the function of the EGRs in that they will prevent exhaust gases being fed back into the throttle body.

The full blanking kit does the same, but also allows you to remove the EGR tubes, stub pipes and butterfly valve. This will remove a lot of crud-covered bits from the airflow, and stop the butterfly valve from closing when the engine tries to suck air from the EGRs.

The first option is quicker, cheaper and easier.

The second option is a little bit more fiddly (although still very easy) but I reckon is the best way to do it (it's what I did). It may also theoretically improve power, but this is likely to be very subjective.

Either way will correct the power loss caused by faulty EGR valves on EURO III (<=MY06) engines.

Neither way will fix a faulty EGR valve or stop them from eventually deteriorating (although it should slow the process down). This however is not too important for a EURO III engine and as long as the valves don't crack and leak water you can pretty much forget about them.
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #64274729th Apr 2010 1:49 pm
D4JWW

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I have fitted the full kit from the well known member and are very happy to 06 model, I believe the air intake is less restricted with the full kit, Thumbs Up Thumbs Up If only it was so simple to fit to 09 model, lets hope the well known member relase the software for euro4 models soon. Bow down

Post #64275229th Apr 2010 1:59 pm
methley
a.k.a. Big Hairy Ski Monster 

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

PaulP wrote:
The full blanking kit does the same, but also allows you to remove the EGR tubes, stub pipes and butterfly valve. ...

Note: There's nothing to prevent you removing the butterfly valve with the simple blanks. Thumbs Up
 Andy

Fridge Slide for sale https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post2064622.html#2064622 

Post #64276229th Apr 2010 2:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Very true - good point Andy Thumbs Up
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #64276529th Apr 2010 2:55 pm
alski

Northern Ireland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Thanks Guys for the quick replies - Still not sure what to go for though - I'd like to do the job "properly" with the full kit BUT....if the EGR Tubes are removed will this be queried by prospective buyers etc and or stealers (trading in for example) in the future.

Is it seen as generally a good thing to have had this mod carried out?

Post #64279429th Apr 2010 3:55 pm
Quagmire

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

I've fitted the kit from Pete at BAS and have had work carried out on my Tesco warranty without any problems from either them or the dealer Guy Salmon! Very Happy

According to Tesco warranty, they would not fix anything that has been caused by fitting the kit! ie if you had a steering issue, no problems.... however if you had an emissions problem...................... Confused

If in doubt fit the kit and keep the parts so if you did have a problem you could re-fit the bits. Trust me, the second time arround it takes minutes!! Whistle

Or.... just blank em off.

Blimey, this reply is nearly as long as one from Colin at BBS spy Wink (sorry Colin, no harm meant)
 Giggity - Giggity  
Post #64287629th Apr 2010 7:01 pm
Adzbaby

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I went for the full kit after considering just the blanks, I actually bought both and fitted the full kit. It mainly for the tidiness the full kit gives you, the whole lot is sealed off with decent grade materials and you know its a permanent job that you'll never have to think about again.

The car you have is worth a lot of money and spending a few quid extra for me is a no brainer. It would be nice however to have a mate with some tooling equipment that could knock them up for you for a few beers though!

Post #64295729th Apr 2010 9:39 pm
al cope

England 

once you've blanked off the bottom end, and either fixed the butterfly open or removed it, taking the pipes out is immaterial - its not a "proper job" vs a hash job, and is a lot cheaper. In fact I'd prefer (as I did) to leave the pipes in, then nobody is any wiser that you've been at it.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #64309230th Apr 2010 8:37 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
The Transformer

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

I will do some searching ( I promise Embarassed ) but is the butterfly easy to remove?

Post #64309530th Apr 2010 8:42 am
al cope

England 

you dont need to remove it, just remove the control link from the actuator, and then fix the butterfly wide open (a self tapper will do).

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #64316330th Apr 2010 12:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >