Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

EPB
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 7 <1234567>
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

With my present problems http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic14834.html I thought I should re-read this thread. Amusing that LR have moved towards a position of "get your car serviced every time you drive through a puddle" rather than fixing the problem. Ask any LRA guy their most common D3 problem and it's the EPB. I WILL get LR to acknowledge the ballsed up on this.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #20852826th Sep 2007 9:08 pm
Adiver

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I had mine in for some warranty work - including the EPB. They changed the shoes and a clip that was not of the modified variety - whatever that means!

No charge, done under warranty

Jon

Post #20854026th Sep 2007 9:31 pm
MrAnders

Norway 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I would hope for some assistance from one of the many upgraders that have kept LR running since 1949... Fix this, and sell an upgrade. There is a million £ market up for grabs.
 -05 TDV6 HSE dc5r  
Post #21581816th Oct 2007 9:41 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

I'm in the dealer next week to have mine sorted and will be talking to the service manager about getting my hands on any worn parts that aren't sent back for warranty sign-off. X-Engineering (makers of the X-Brake for the Defender, RR Classic and Defender) are keen to reverse-engineer an aftermarket replacement.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #21586016th Oct 2007 10:25 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

But why the F should we pay for an 'upgrade' to what should be a simple system to stop the D3 rolling away once its locked up and stationary Shocked

FFS

Post #21586716th Oct 2007 10:30 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Agreed. The dealer has told me they have been given a revised setup procedure for the brake, so we'll see what happens. If anyone is going to break it again, it will be me with my 12" of water to cross Rolling Eyes
Post #21587616th Oct 2007 10:37 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Did anyone ever get hold of this revised procedure for this? How different is it from the one TFC posted earlier in this thread?
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #22412314th Nov 2007 7:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Calibration is now done electronically, so no longer a DIY option. Rolling Eyes
Post #22414114th Nov 2007 7:55 pm
Disco3kid

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Ken wrote:
But hold on a mo how big a problem is it as I guess the majority of people who take their D3 off road use this site from time to time, I guess around 40 Whistle as thats how many people have signed up for Rockingham (more like 100), bet LR have had a few more issues than that so is it related to off road use only Question

Thumbs Up Hi Ken,

I have the same problem with my EPD now and I have never used my disco3 off road? Big Cry

Looks like I will be taking a trip down to my local LR dealer "Again" Big Cry

Dont know what else to do & now being out of warranty! Should be interesting Crying or Very sad

Please use the email button to contact me rather than the PM button - Thanks!

Last edited by Disco3kid on 22nd Mar 2009 5:51 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #44229422nd Mar 2009 2:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Disco3kid

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

10forcash wrote:
Right, what I think is happening is this:-

1 Gearbox
2 Parking brake module housing
3 Cable nut
4 Sealing collar
5 Threaded connector
6 Spline shaft
7 Force sensor
8 Shoe
9 Locking cover
10 Sealing collar
11 Cable nut

for some reason, the PB shoes lose their adjustment, causing the cable travel required to impose maximum required force ( monitored by 7) to extend. Once the maximum travel on the cable threaded connector (5) is reached, the spline shaft (6) will cease rotating causing a clutch assembly (I think) in the gearbox to release the rotational force from the motor - hence the 'screamer'...

What I do need to do is take the rear shoe assembly apart to find out why the adjustment is being lost and how to prevent it, I suspect it's linked to reversing (from the number of warnings about drum rotation in the adjustment procedure) Andrew - are your photo's prior to cleaning the shoes and how much (if any) was there in the inside of the drum / disc itself?

Hi Thumbs Up

I'm having the same problem with mine now, and doing my best to get the information to solve the problem myself Big Cry

Trying to avoid going to LR main dealer if poss, because we know what there like Whistle

How did you get on?

Rgds, Neil

Last edited by Disco3kid on 22nd Mar 2009 5:51 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #44229522nd Mar 2009 2:36 pm
Disco3kid

NoDo$h wrote:
Does anyone have an email address for a suitably senior person at Land Rover? I'd like to send them a link to this thread.

Hi Thumbs Up

Your right, It should be made a Product Recall by LR

Neil.

Post #44229722nd Mar 2009 2:42 pm
Barry C-All

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up
Have I just discovered another unwritten feature of the Discovery (perhaps that's why they call it the Discovery!)?

I know on manual Disco3s when the ignition key is removed the EPB is applied automatically, but I last night discovered, having driven the vehicle for nearly a year, that on the automatics, when the EPB is applied, as soon as the accelerator is touched to pull away, the EPB is automatically released and the light goes out. Has anyone else found this feature? It raises my view of the EPB from being a pain to quite a useful feature, now that I know it is quick to release.

Just for the record, 2.7 HSE Auto, 10,000 miles, not the slightest problem at all with anything. Excellent vehicle but I do not take it in the mud!

Post #44535327th Mar 2009 7:41 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Barry C-All wrote:
Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up
Have I just discovered another unwritten feature of the Discovery (perhaps that's why they call it the Discovery!)?

having driven the vehicle for nearly a year,

Shocked Laughing Rolling with laughter

Should have been part of the hand over from the dealer. A good selling point for the D3.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #44558028th Mar 2009 1:16 am
Disco3kid

Information Regarding the Sreeching EPB Idea

My brother is a fitter with his own workshop, had the car up on the ramps now for 2 days Big Cry Completely removed all the Disc brakes, callipers & the EPD unit which we stripped down, the unit is so well sealed I think you would have great difficulty in getting water or mud directly into the unit itself, the unit was completely dry as a bone No water or mud, Re-greased the unit up again which didn’t really need it but thought we might as well do it at the same time.
New Brake pads were fitted only 3 months prior to this happening, so they were fine, the problem we found was the Discs were worn slightly, Fitted new discs for £80, No more Screeching! Thank god. Thumbs Up

Thumbs Up Discokid

Post #44583528th Mar 2009 5:04 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Barry, just noticed it was yor first post. Welcome. Very Happy

Why not introduce yourself here:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=444180#444180

I also love the EPB function, really cool. Never had a problem with mine. Thumbs Up

disco3 kid. Problem with the muddy water ingress is not the EPB unit but the EPB brake units. mud gets between the shoes and drum when it is off, dries and when the brake is put on will not move fully and puts the system out f adjustment.
That is my understanding, ready to be corrected though. Embarassed
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #44608929th Mar 2009 2:39 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 6 of 7 <1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >