Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

How far can you go on Empty?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
MadJax

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
How far can you go on Empty?

OK I am intgerested to see how far you can go once the trip computer tells you that you have ran out of fuel.

a few days ago the warning light came on, which I ignored. The yesterday the tank was reported to be empty and I had 0kms left.

I did another 40km's and then filled up. It only took 74l. so it's still got 8 litres slopping around in the tank.

Does my computer need a quick reboot (well it works for my PC) or do they all do this, be on the safe side and give you 120km to find a petrol station Question
 Discovery 4 2.7 SE
Defender 130 TD5 - Daily Drive
2.7t Caravan
Java TD5 HSE - Gone but not forgotten.
Java V6 Freelander - Had fun in it. 

Post #90099824th Feb 2012 10:32 am
APL

France 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Put it this way, on long runs across the European Continent and here in Ireland, I've often got 1000km out of my brimmed tank of diesel....

But the dash usually tells me I've got a few km left all the time, only once have I ever seen it report 0 km left.
 2016 Discovery 4 Commercial
2019 Discovery 5 HSE 

Post #90102724th Feb 2012 12:14 pm
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I took mine down to 0 Miles and got about 4 miles further before it thew a wobbly. Thumbs Up
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #90103924th Feb 2012 12:56 pm
photokid

South Africa 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Was wondering the same recently.

So I let it run till empty (5kms remaining according to OBC) and it oly took 75 litres till full.

I'm thinking the other 5 litres is reserve to save yourself?

Post #90107324th Feb 2012 2:48 pm
MarsKy

Scotland 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 4

From that thing no one seems to look at Whistle

FUEL TANK CAPACITY
Avoid the risk of running out of fuel and never intentionally drive the vehicle when the fuel gauge indicates that the tank is empty. When refuelling your vehicle after the fuel gauge reads empty, you may not be able to add the fuel quantity shown below, as there will be a small reserve remaining in the tank.

Total tank capacity (usable):
* Petrol engines 86 litres (19 gallons)
* Diesel engines 82 litres (18 gallons)

RUNNING OUT OF FUEL
Avoid running out of fuel. Doing so can cause damage to the vehicle's engine, fuel, and emission control systems. If the vehicle does run out of fuel, a minimum of 4 litres (0.8 gallons) will be required to restart the engine. The vehicle will need to be driven 1.6-5 km (1-3 miles) in order to reset the engine management and monitoring systems. Note: If the vehicle does run out of fuel, seeking qualified assistance is advisable.

Post #90108524th Feb 2012 3:33 pm
Reginald Molehusband

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

I generally run mine until the yellow light comes on which happens anywhere from 33 miles to 7 miles remaining. Why? I rarely get more than 75 litres in so there is a gallon or two swigging about in there.
As a trial I once ran it past zero miles remaining and the beast went into restricted power mode at 0 miles and so it was a short-lived trial as I filled up ASAP. Pretty effective deterent that.
 2016 D4 Landmark SDV6 (Euro6), Zanzibar (late run D4)
2009 D4 HSE TDV6, Bali blue (first run D4)
2007 RRS TDV8 HSE, some blue

http://www.lothian4x4response.org 

Post #90116624th Feb 2012 6:08 pm
MadJax

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I'm dissapointed that the computer is that far out of sync. I should be possiable to write software to provide a more accurate readings. I don't want to run out of fuel, but to be told that the tank is empty, when there is over 10l of fuel left in it is silly.

Driving long distances with distances of over 100km between fuel stations means that I need to know how much I have left in the tank. If I run out it's my fault.

A reserve of 4l should be enough warning.

Maybe it's a market thing. We need more reserve Idea
 Discovery 4 2.7 SE
Defender 130 TD5 - Daily Drive
2.7t Caravan
Java TD5 HSE - Gone but not forgotten.
Java V6 Freelander - Had fun in it. 

Post #90135925th Feb 2012 1:12 am
hotrocks

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

On expedition we operate the policy of fill up at EVERY opportunity regardless of what is left!

At home, I ran it to 0 miles yesterday and did another 3 miles before I bottle it and stopped at the next petrol station Laughing

I did once sit on the M25 with the fuel indicator going down faster that a prossies knickers witht he GPS telling me that we were 10 miles from the nearest petrol station and the misses giving me serious ear ache!

We got there without running out although it was a bit 'tense' in the cab to say the least... God... she didnt stop moaning until we go to the Pyrenees!

Post #90136425th Feb 2012 1:22 am
frenchy

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I recently managed only 3 miles after the range indicator read 0miles.
Car went into kangaroo mode Embarassed for about half a mile and then cut out completly.
Switched off, got out and locked the doors to let itself reset (don't know if this helped).
Got back in and started up and bounced another mile to the nearest garage and filled up.

Upon driving away, the car kangarooed for a further mile and then got all its power back.

Moral of the story, there might be a few litres left in the tank, but the computer won't let you use much of it

Post #90152425th Feb 2012 5:13 pm
Leesbay

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Personally fill up when it drops to min quarter full. It hurts puttin £85 worth of diesel in, but filled up at Morrisons today and got the 15p off a litre shopping deal. Saved me £11. Thats a quality saving seeings how i fill up two to three times a week!
 ....................................................................................................

If my wife ever sells my stuff for what she thinks I paid for them, you lot are gonna get some bargains! 

Post #90154325th Feb 2012 6:09 pm
chrisbowler

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Good old Morrisons. Do they give free filters and injectors with their Censored quality fuel - beware of supermarket fuel and fill up with quality fuel once every few fills to clean the crap out

Chris bowler
 Chris Bowler
D3 2005 EXPEDITION
D2 Challenge Vehicle
300 TDi Spare car
107" TD5 Comp Safari Motor 

Post #90163925th Feb 2012 10:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Leesbay

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Im sure supermarket fuels are pretty much the same as others, unless you go for the super diesel with higher octane rating.

I do 130k a year and have done so for 10 years in various cars from £70k bmws to £10k mondeos. Never had a problem or issue with supermarket diesel.

Service it in between the specified recommendations ie every 7k and i dont think you will have a problem
 ....................................................................................................

If my wife ever sells my stuff for what she thinks I paid for them, you lot are gonna get some bargains! 

Post #90164225th Feb 2012 11:15 pm
DingMark

Iraq 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

A few months after getting my D4 I carried a full jerry can of diesel once the low fuel warning light went on. I drove another 95kms after getting a "0 kms left" readout. I finally chickened out and poured in the jerry's 20 litres at that point, so I don't know how much fuel was really left in. I also on occasion want to understand how much range is left in the tank, as it's 150-250 kms between fuel in the NW of West Oz, and some of them are closed at night.

All that said, my friendly mechanic suggested not running the tank down low like this all the time, as it exposes the fuel pump to air and it prefers a diesel bath around it to keep the pump cool. I guess I can only say the fuel gauge is conservative.
 Jim Dowell - D4 HSE TDi, 12,000 hydraulic winch & hidden winch mount, MTRs, TyreDog, Traxide 2 x aux battery system, fixed air compressor, Dolium roof rack, MitchHitch.
RIP 2005 D3 HSE V8 5 seater gold (stolen and torched) 

Post #90217227th Feb 2012 1:25 pm
mowog

Australia 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 4

When the low fuel warning comes on for the main I can get over 1000klm out it....

Provided the Aux tank is full at the time.... Thumbs Up
 Discovery 4 SE Long range fuel tank Kaymar Rear Bar.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood
Mini JCW Clubman
Lotus Trooper Off Road Caravan

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mowog/ 

Post #90253927th Feb 2012 10:53 pm
Discolegal

2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

yellow light comes on when there's an indicated 60 miles or so left to go, it then seems to drop very quickly, and parking facing downhill at such times reduces alleged range to zero, then it gradually recovers as you drive next few miles. Today I parked facing uphill and will go for fuel on my way home Whistle

Post #90327229th Feb 2012 5:07 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >