Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Front PDC & Door Sill Protectors
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
HenryT

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Front PDC & Door Sill Protectors

Hi Guys. I new here but only because I have just acquired a TDV6 SE. I have two questions:-

1.0 The SE is only equipped with rear sensors whereas the HSE has both front and back. Can one install front sensors and connected it up to the PDC control? I see on the dash board that there is a switch for front sensors. My LR dealer is adamant that the harness for the SE differs from that of the HSE and an integrated system is not available for the SE. Confused Is this true?
2.0 I have not been able to check but does the HSE have door sill protectors? If so I would imagine that they should be obtainable from a LR dealer. If not, are there any aftermarket protectors available?

I will value your responses.

HenryT
 I Own the Bests 4x4's by Far
Defender 110 CSW Td5
Discovery 3 TDV6 SE 

Post #4628375th May 2009 1:27 pm
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

Our HSE has no door sill protectors fitted. I think they are an accessory you can buy, EDIT: Just realised you are in Jo'berg, local dealer better option that I suggested sorry.

Not sure about the PDC question, but I think its been asked before, have you tried using search to look for the older threads?

Post #4628695th May 2009 2:24 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Welcome to the site Henry Thumbs Up

1. The button on the dash is for ALL of your PDC sensors where fitted - not just for the front ones. I have a SE with factory-fit rear-only sensors and installed the proper LR front sensors myself.

You will need to make sure that your D3 has the wiring loom fitted by seeing if you have a 'spare' connector behind the left-hand headlamp (when looking at your D3 from the front).

Do a quick search for removing the headlamp unit, but it's very easy.

If you have this 'blank' connector, then you'll need to buy the front wiring loom, PDC sensors and Bezels. Once it's all fitted, you'll need to have them activated by your dealer or a suitably-equipped independant.

It's an easy enough job and I took around 2-3 hours to fit them. The dealer charged me 15 minutes labour rate to activate them.

As TallPaul mentioned, there's quite a few threads about this - have a scout around Wink

2. Sill tread plates are available as accessories from any LR dealer - I don't think they are fitted as standard to any trim level.

I hope this helps, Thumbs Up
Paul
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #4628825th May 2009 2:41 pm
Tawny Owl

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Welcome to the forum Thumbs Up

Got 4 x new pdc sensors to keep the cost down if yer intrested ? Whistle

Not 100% sure if they are the same front and rear but the ones I got are the rear ones Thumbs Up

Post #4628875th May 2009 2:50 pm
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

PaulP , I presume that there is a module that drives these.Did you have to install a seperate module to drive your retrofit ones or did the existing factory fit control all ?

Post #4629265th May 2009 3:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
HenryT

Thanks. Your info has been a great help. I will persue my solution here in the back waters of SA. I have already spoken to my dealership who have never received a request like this before now. Rolling Eyes
Defender 110 CSW Td5
Discovery 3 TDV6 SE 

Post #4629305th May 2009 4:14 pm
PaulP

Discowex wrote:
Did you have to install a seperate module to drive your retrofit ones or did the existing factory fit control all ?

In my case the existing PDC module is already connected up for front and rear sensors....the rear ones were obivously connected to the rear sensors and the front ones simply went to a blank connector behind the headlamp.

I seem to remember that Iain (10forCash) mentioned that the PDC module was not always wired up on all model years, but I guess that if you have the 'empty' connector, then it is probably safe to assume that you're good to go Thumbs Up
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #4629355th May 2009 4:18 pm
PaulP

Henry - you should be aware that (in my often misguided opinion) the front PDC sensors are not as useful/necessary as the rear ones.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that I installed them, but I have to admit that it is really not too difficult to gauge the distance from the front of the bumper and the sensors feel a little too sensitive for me....

Just bear in mind that on a scale of 1 (poor) to 10 (excellent), the rear sensors would score 8/10 for usefulness, whilst I would only give the front sensors 4/10 Thumbs Up
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #4629405th May 2009 4:25 pm
Wex

PaulP wrote:
Discowex wrote:
Did you have to install a seperate module to drive your retrofit ones or did the existing factory fit control all ?

In my case the existing PDC module is already connected up for front and rear sensors....the rear ones were obivously connected to the rear sensors and the front ones simply went to a blank connector behind the headlamp.

I seem to remember that Iain (10forCash) mentioned that the PDC module was not always wired up on all model years, but I guess that if you have the 'empty' connector, then it is probably safe to assume that you're good to go Thumbs Up

I had a scan back through the retrofit threads ( including one by yourself) .Gist is If you have rear PDC and connector below front headlamp then its good to go for fitting and enabling front PDC.

In my case I have no PDC at all but have the connector below headlamp.Could I assume that the module is fitted somewhere ? I dont expect you to have the answer just a general question Thumbs Up

Post #4629435th May 2009 4:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PaulP

Hmmm....that's interesting - so it could be that the main wiring loom is common in this respect whether PDC is fitted or not.

You're right - I don't have a concrete answer, but I would almost guarantee that the PDC module is not fitted in your case. It's fitted in the boot area behind the side trim on the left-hand side (sitting in the car) towards the rear of the 2nd row seats - I think you'll need to remove the side trim panel to get a good look at the area Thumbs Up
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #4629455th May 2009 4:46 pm
Wex

Thanks Paul Thumbs Up

Post #4629485th May 2009 4:53 pm
HenryT

I have had to educate my local parts manager at LR re the PDC. He tried to tell me that the looms all differ between S SE & HSE!!? And they have never heard of "enabling" the front PDC?

Anyway priced the mod from Land Rover - R4200.00 - BPD 323. These guys are mad. The bezel cost more than the sensor. Together they are R850 each - BPD 65!

Will have to visit as scrapyard.
Defender 110 CSW Td5
Discovery 3 TDV6 SE 

Post #47405530th May 2009 5:29 am
Roel

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Get in touch with Baben he might be able to activate the front PDC. See the Africa section. Looks like he is close to you.
 Roel

1997 Camel Trophy Disco ex-P101JWK (traded it for a Britains 42101)
1984 90 TD5
2005 G4 Disco 3 BN55WPT

Also member of club MTR
and Club Faultmate

Interested in my 4x4 history see my website: www.mudmachine.webklik.nl
Sorry it's in Dutch and with google translator it gets funny. 

Post #47405930th May 2009 6:15 am
biggless

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

The sill plates are not standard on the HSE. I got some for mine, but to be honest the proper LR ones are not brilliant. You can find some other posts which show some other types. As you can see, these ones don't really offer a great deal of protection. In the UK they cost about £110.

Post #4751832nd Jun 2009 12:45 pm
jjvd21

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3

Are the front PDC holes marked on the back of the front bumper so you know where to drill? I've got an '05 HSE and have thought about this mod. Just curious I its obvious as to wear the front PDC's go once you have the bumper off.....thanks!
 16 D4 Landmark
05 D3 HSE V8
THE original D4 spotter 

Post #4752322nd Jun 2009 3:21 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >