Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Front and rear light guards....do they actually work?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
dealmaker

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Front and rear light guards....do they actually work?

Considering the front and rear light guards for the 05.

For those that have them - do they actually protect the headlights/taillights - or are they more cosmetic?

Do they hinder the cleaning of the lights back and front?.....

....and are they easy to fit?.........no drilling I hope!

Post #4151264th Feb 2009 7:41 pm
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Re: Front and rear light guards....do they actually work?

dealmaker wrote:
Considering the front and rear light guards for the 05.

For those that have them - do they actually protect the headlights/taillights - or are they more cosmetic?Protect to a small degree but are more cosmetic IMO
Do they hinder the cleaning of the lights back and front?.....No

....and are they easy to fit?Yes.........no drilling I hope! Front - No , Rear -Yes

Download the fitting instructions here http://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/extfree2viewlrprod/index.jsp and see for yourself.ISTR that the wrong hole size might be shown in the instructions so check the diameter of the riv-nut with a micrometer before you drill.If you don't feel confident of it yourself then give 10forCash a shout.

Post #4151314th Feb 2009 7:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SN

You can get away without rivnuts on the rear (since these things are so light) - just drill hole small enough for the screws to 'self tap' and bung a bit of mastic or sealant around them to keep the tinworm at bay Thumbs Up

But generally beware the back ones - they vibrate and if you fit them too close to the body work they rub the paintwork BADLY

Here's a shot of the marks on my Blue D3 after I'd took the rear guards off - I'd positioned them nice and tight against the body. These marks would NOT come out and were proper 'ruts' in the paint - fortunately the "hand back inspector" didn't make any fuss over them.

Click image to enlarge
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #4151964th Feb 2009 9:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mehari

Belgium 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Went near the trees.. slipped... the rear lampguard touched the tree: broken; the light: broken... but they sure look good... Whistle Whistle

My take: there are two models (at least I've seen two): plastic and aluminium... If it was to be done again, I'd go for the aluminium...
 A second D3 ! This time with all whistles and bells (Auto, 7seats, Diff Lock, RAI, all kinds of protections, winch, Extended range tank, iPod adapter....)
First time twice the same car ! and first time third car of the same brand !

I'm loving it ! 

Post #4152234th Feb 2009 10:02 pm
SN

But the aluminium ones are not OEM and look.... well yack quite frankly Confused

S'pose you could spray them matt black Neutral
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #4152324th Feb 2009 10:19 pm
JMC

Scotland 
Re: Front and rear light guards....do they actually work?

dealmaker wrote:
do they actually protect the headlights/taillights

About as much as an airbag in a 70mph head-on Shocked

dealmaker wrote:
are they more cosmetic?

Yes - and they do look good IMO

dealmaker wrote:
Do they hinder the cleaning of the lights back and front?.....

Yes, but how much cleaning do you do? Dirt behind the guards doesn't obstruct light any more than the guard itself does Laughing

dealmaker wrote:
and are they easy to fit?

Yes. Thumbs Up
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #4152354th Feb 2009 10:24 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I've fitted loads - but not on mine...... Whistle

Never had an issue with damaged lights either

Post #4152514th Feb 2009 10:41 pm
DiscoStu

England 

Well I'd say they work - got them fitted and never had a damaged light Ner Ner

Seriously, they are cosmetic. The lights do a good job of looking after themselves Thumbs Up
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Last edited by DiscoStu on 5th Feb 2009 10:25 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #4153124th Feb 2009 11:39 pm
Popelka

Czech Republic 

SN wrote:
just drill hole small enough for the screws to 'self tap' and bung a bit of mastic or sealant around them to keep the tinworm at bay Thumbs Up

could they not be fixed on with carfull application of mastic, this could also act as a cushion if hit??

Post #4154635th Feb 2009 9:42 am
SN

probably but they're quite a tight fit and you need some kind of anchoring of the bracket behind the light (onto which you bolt the plastic guard).
Post #4154795th Feb 2009 9:59 am
ridgeback_moor

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I've got front and rear guards on mine, and only consider them a cosmetic mod. But today, on a narrow country road, a young girl was riding past my D3 when the horse tripped slightly and smacked the stirrup into my rear light. Luckily, it hit the guard and didn't damage the light unit itself, so it looks like they do sort of work Very Happy .
 Previously:
2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 S
1984 90 2.25 Petrol CSW
1992 90 200TDi Hard Top
1995 Discovery ES 300TDi
2003 90 TD5 Truck Cab

Post #4172357th Feb 2009 9:35 pm
biggless

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Lights guards

I have the front LR light guards but for the rear I got these -

They are well clear of the paint work and don't need any drilling to fit. Made of polished SS. It is a shame that the engineers at LR don't seem to put much thought in to some of the accessories. ! Cost about £100.

Post #42095812th Feb 2009 11:18 pm
DingMark

Iraq 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Twice I've hit a parrot on the front headlight guard (birds here are as dim-witted as hopping species) and it cracked the guard, not the headlight. (Had another one hit the front guard over the radiator, it broke the guard but protected the radiator fins). About 18 months ago a Hilux decided to slide into my front end and his ensurer discovered that the plastic case cost A$1200 + installation. If you think you might colllide with dim-hit small objects (not specifically a Hilux driver Rolling with laughter ) then the front guards are more than cosmetic. I find that my front ones do tend to come off with sideways winds and need a bit of black duct tape to secure in place (it happens to not look out of place on a black ARB roo bar).
 Jim Dowell - D4 HSE TDi, 12,000 hydraulic winch & hidden winch mount, MTRs, TyreDog, Traxide 2 x aux battery system, fixed air compressor, Dolium roof rack, MitchHitch.
RIP 2005 D3 HSE V8 5 seater gold (stolen and torched) 

Post #42283016th Feb 2009 3:05 am
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi Jim,
Like you I have the front light guards and the ARB bar (although not the winch version). I haven't found that the LR light guards move at all (although maybe there are more strong winds in WA). Wink

Alternatively, is it possible that your LR light guards haven't be fitted properly?

Best Wishes,
Peter
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #42286016th Feb 2009 9:18 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >