Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Front suspension bushes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jimbo the Great

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Front suspension bushes

Had my HSE into the dealers to rectify a suspension rattle. They reported the front brake caliper was loose and that was causing the rattle. (which has now gone!). They also sent the vehicle to have the wheel alignment done .

I have noticed over the last couple of days the the car is following the road camber quite stongly and the I am constantly having to keep pressure on the steering wheel to keep following the road. My thinking is that they obviously messed up the alignment so I took it into another well known and popular place to have the alignment rechecked.

This was done and the technician said there was not much wrong with the settings and he said he reduced the rear camber slightly to improve the ride.

What alarmed me was he took a crowbar and gently moved the main suspension bushes under the car where the lower wishbone attached to the body. There was a lot of movement and it did not require much effort to induce this movement. You could see the whole wheel move backward and forward as the crowbar was moved around.

My question is.. Is this movement normal or should I be back to the dealer to investigate further.

My feeling is that with this amount of play, there can be no control over what the front wheels are doing and this could be the reason for the constant steering correction required.

The car has done just over 29 000 km and it has (embarrasingly) never been off road

Any thoughts on the matter?

Post #3678212nd Nov 2008 9:43 am
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

My front bushes were replaced at the 36 000 k service . Did you have the car put into alignment mode before they set it ?

Post #3678232nd Nov 2008 10:03 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Worn bearings? Confused
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #3678572nd Nov 2008 12:29 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I have seen D3's with getting on for 80-85k with no noticeable movement in the front wishbone bushes at all...

[/url]

Post #3680722nd Nov 2008 9:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jonty

Kenya 2007 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Doesn't sound right - get it checked out. I could be wrong, but I think there have been a few TSBs regarding knocking/rattling suspension and one of the causes was worn bushes.

Post #3682123rd Nov 2008 10:32 am
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Jimbo
Mine has "wandered" like yours since new
I thought it was something to do with the coil springs...obviously not
 Pete  
Post #3682173rd Nov 2008 10:40 am
Jimbo the Great

heine wrote:
My front bushes were replaced at the 36 000 k service . Did you have the car put into alignment mode before they set it ?

Heine
Spoke to the service desk at both Waterford and Sandton and neither mentioned about alignment mode. I will give them a call and see the reaction.

Thanks to you all for the comments

Post #3683483rd Nov 2008 4:29 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

It only needs put into 'tight tolerance mode' if it has air suspension

Post #3684243rd Nov 2008 7:20 pm
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

All Seffrican models have air suspension

Post #3687394th Nov 2008 2:04 pm
Marthin

South Africa 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Jimbo

Took my 2006 TDV6 HSE to Tiger Wheel in Sandton to replace 4 (unevenly) worn tyres and have alignment done. The front tyres started to wear unevenly on the inner edges (the blocks on the pattern were wearing down more at the back of the block than the front. The rears have worn out on the insides. I suspect it is due to the "bush settle issue" mention in on this forum as my car's VIN number fall into the range mentioned. The car has done only 30 000 km (mostly on tarred roads and "off roading" has been limited to a conquering the speed bumps around Sandton and some dirt road driving.

Before starting the wheel alignment, the guys at Tiger checked the front suspension bushes in the same way that you described and the results were exactly the same. They suggested that I have the bushes replaced by the dealers before fitting new tyres to avoid the same uneven wear on the frobt tyres. They said that the execessive move on the front bushes is a "common problem" on the Disco 3.

I have a booking later this week at Sandton Landrover to have the bushed replaced. Hopefully the next set of tyres will last longer than 30 000km!

Marthin

Post #3687874th Nov 2008 4:47 pm
jjvd21

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3

If you could please post the part #'s of the bushes they replace that would be great.
 16 D4 Landmark
05 D3 HSE V8
THE original D4 spotter 

Post #3689144th Nov 2008 9:14 pm
Jimbo the Great

Marthin

What happened at the visit o Sandton? have they rectified the problem yet?

Had mine there for the last two days and guess what... it is now worse than when I dropped it off. ths Service manager says all is ok. I am going to take this matter further

Post #37576319th Nov 2008 6:20 am
Worldwideworker

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3
"Bush settle issue" and VIN numbers

Please assist with the VIN numbers involved in the front suspension "bush settle issue"

Post #38021028th Nov 2008 10:15 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

TSB was withdrawn I think.
If you have a nice dealer they may do an alignment for you otherwise you will need pay for it.
Remember to have a full tank when they to geometry set mode.
They now recommend an alignment every six months.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #38024028th Nov 2008 11:07 am
Marthin

South Africa 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Jimbo

Land Rover Sandton replace the main front suspension bushes on earlier in the week (had to wait for part from the UK). Its certainly feels as if the bit of "wandering" that started to appear has been reduced. The wheel alignment needed to be re-set after the bush replacement so that may have influenced the handling as well. I have only driven around town so will have to see what happens on the open road.

jjvd21

The work was done under warranty Smile , so I did not get the part number of the bushes that were replaced. However, it is the main bush at the back of the front wish bone. This part of the suspension is visiable through the gap between the back of the front wheel and the body of the car.

Marthin

Post #38025728th Nov 2008 11:37 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >